There are 250 users in the forums

Preseason week 1: The Good; The Ugly; The Same Old from Last Year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not worried yet but I hoped to see the oline execute better.
  • Jiks
Good: Our defense played pretty decent, RoJo on punt returns, Aldon Smith, Dobbs clogging up the middle, Akers, Hunter(at times), Kaep(at times)

Bad:Dixon(dancing), Oline, Oline, Inability to close on D, Some of Kaeps decisions, 2 T.O's, penalties,
Originally posted by Overkill:
Bad - Pass protection. All of it. Not just the OL.

No reason to expect that much pressure, w/those exotic blitzes in week 1 preseason. Dick move by Greg Williams. I hope he catches the Superherpes . With limited practices, the coaches probably didn't even rep Saints-specific blitzes (still installing basic O)
would like to see some serious imporvement from Dixon. So far the only good he has shown was last pre season.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Good: Our defense played pretty decent, RoJo on punt returns, Aldon Smith, Dobbs clogging up the middle, Akers, Hunter(at times), Kaep(at times)

Bad:Dixon(dancing), Oline, Oline, Inability to close on D, Some of Kaeps decisions, 2 T.O's, penalties,

You should have mentioned Oline some more in the negatives
Originally posted by Chief:
Good
1st string defense looked solid.
Frank Gore looks recovered.
Our coach looked like he knew what was going wrong.
Aldon Smith played pretty good for his first game at the position.

Bad
O-line looked like ass.
Kap showed a little bit but overall I was not impressed at all.
Dixon honestly sucks and will be the 3rd string back.

Agreed about Dixon. He dances too much and hesitates. Big Dix seriously needs to pound the hole with a lot more thrust instead of playing around with himself.
hopefully Harbaugh can now switch Goodwin to center,and Snyder to RG. SOMEBODY PLEASE SHOOT CHILO RACHELL!

with that said the whole O-line was AWFUL
[ Edited by AJ_Larrea954 on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM ]
How did Anthony Davis look? I was too busy noticing The pocket collapse from the middle
Originally posted by BayAreaBrawler:
Originally posted by Chief:
Good
1st string defense looked solid.
Frank Gore looks recovered.
Our coach looked like he knew what was going wrong.
Aldon Smith played pretty good for his first game at the position.

Bad
O-line looked like ass.
Kap showed a little bit but overall I was not impressed at all.
Dixon honestly sucks and will be the 3rd string back.

Agreed about Dixon. He dances too much and hesitates. Big Dix seriously needs to pound the hole with a lot more thrust instead of playing around with himself.

If Dixon doesn't improve on that dancing around he will be 3rd string in a hurry
The good- We appear to be going for the #1 draft pick Andrew Luck

The bad: The teams O line has how many 1st round draft picks, and they cannot pick up blitz's or stunts?

The ugly. ALEX SMITH- He should be cut tomorrow, I would rather see Mesoli start than watch another coach go down becuase the SEVENTH year Smith says the right thing, practices good, than chokes the big chicken more than a college male freshamn in his own dorm room every game.

Originally posted by BayAreaBrawler:

What happen to the " him shouldering patrick willis"? He was doing good in training camp. Let them balls drop dixon and run like a beast!
Good: 3rd down defense (a little help from the Saints but looks promising), Aldon Smith (He's going to contribute early)

Bad: Blitz pick-ups (not a shock they're behind here), Snyder (Inconsistent snaps, pushed around easily)
Good : No major injury.

Bad : All quarterbacks and offensive linemen looked like third stringers.
It was really unfortunate how poor the pass protection was since the skill positions were left with almost nothing to come away from the game with. I am confident the pass protection will be addressed and improve, however I can't say I'm fully confident they'll achieve even average pass protection by the start of the season.

The defense looked good, especially considering the lack of CB's playing. I was most impressed with Aldon.
It's nice that the saints blitz the s**t out of us because it gives the Oline a chance to watch the tape and hopefully be better prepared for the next game.
Share 49ersWebzone