LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 421 users in the forums

Preseason week 1: The Good; The Ugly; The Same Old from Last Year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Simple, our o line looked like s**t and I hope it improves. Kaep still needs a lot of work, Aldon was a beast out there (I saw a couple times that he was forcing the saints LT to hold), Hunter looked great and Dixon didn't. Whitner and Brooks was playing well to. I'm liking our defense!
The bottom line is it's going to be a long season. We have an entirely new offense to install. Coaches have to get in players they want. This all takes more than the 2 weeks they were pretty much given.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
The bottom line is it's going to be a long season. We have an entirely new offense to install. Coaches have to get in players they want. This all takes more than the 2 weeks they were pretty much given.

I totally agree.
I'm not sure what the TV commentators saw positive from Tramaine Brock. At times he gave the WR a 10 yard cushion.
Good:
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
David Akers
Most of 1st team D
Andy Lee

Ok:
Hunter (will be above Dixon on depth chart soon enough)

Bad:
Dixon
Special Teams

Atrocious:
O line
Harbaugh didn't show his hand but if the QBs weren't able to read the defenses and the OL wasn't playing well in basic formations how am I supposed to believe the advance plays will be better when they can't execute simpler plays. The OL has to play better so they can have chances to score even though the QBs don't look comfortable in this system.
The Bad: Tim Ryan as a commentator
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
No reason to expect that much pressure, w/those exotic blitzes in week 1 preseason. Dick move by Greg Williams. I hope he catches the Superherpes . With limited practices, the coaches probably didn't even rep Saints-specific blitzes (still installing basic O)

totally agree about Greg williams...just a tad bit over-zealous for the first preseason game....they will prob pay for that in the long run...we learned last preseason that you can't display everything you have defensively week one in preseason...I hope it totally bites them in the ass...having said that, we looked like crap...I'm a huge fan of Kap..but he made some bad decisions out there tonight...I really liked his footwork though...goes without saying that our pass protection was pop-warner-esque..um defense played well, we were very vanilla in all aspects of tonights game..I am ok with that as long as that's not how we plan to stay throughout the regular season
The Good:
Gore - looked fresh and healthy
Aldon Smith - showed speed off the edge
Dobbs - Now granted he wasn't going up against first teamers but he still looked like he could add depth to the d-line
Iupati - He's gonna be a pro bowler soon, I can feel it
Brooks - He was bringin' heat off the edge and had some sack opportunities

The Bad:
Alex Smith - continued to throw inaccurately and responded poorly to pressure
Kap - I liked his mobility but he was inaccurate, even when he had time. Did anyone else notice that his throwing motion looked kinda weird?
Chilo Rachel - This guy needs to get taken out of the starting lineup. He just seems lost out there, missing blocking assignments far too often.
Snyder - Granted he's not the starting center but he's best suited playing Guard anyway and needs to get moved over there.
Blitz Pickup - The team knew the Saints bring a lot of heat but they didn't adapt well at all, allowing the pocket to collapse too quickly. I blame this partly on the coaching staff not adjusting the blocking scheme but also on the line in general and the QBs for not noticing the defensive shifts.
Originally posted by SanFranMan:
Simple, our o line looked like s**t and I hope it improves. Kaep still needs a lot of work, Aldon was a beast out there (I saw a couple times that he was forcing the saints LT to hold), Hunter looked great and Dixon didn't. Whitner and Brooks was playing well to. I'm liking our defense!

On one play, the left tackle was holding on with one arm, holding Aldon's jersey for at least 2 whole seconds (an eternity), but the ref didn't call it and it allowed the quarterback to complete a long pass for a first down, which led to the Saints first offensive touchdown.
I think the officiating is getting worse every year.

The only difference between their O-line and ours, is that they blitzed every play and we didn't; and their O-line held most plays, and ours didn't.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM ]

Originally posted by 9erred:
The good- We appear to be going for the #1 draft pick Andrew Luck

The bad: The teams O line has how many 1st round draft picks, and they cannot pick up blitz's or stunts?

The ugly. ALEX SMITH- He should be cut tomorrow, I would rather see Mesoli start than watch another coach go down becuase the SEVENTH year Smith says the right thing, practices good, than chokes the big chicken more than a college male freshamn in his own dorm room every game.

I know that there will be a cry of Alexcuses, etc BUT how in the heck could any quarterback have done anything with guys coming in untouched or pushing the line back into the QB? I don't know how he will be this season, but I can't find a way to blame him for the time he was in.... the O Line (along with a few of the skill gus) need to make blocks... yes I know the love child of Montana and Favre could have thrown a touchdown with that pressure tonight, but expecting that form a QB is nonsensical

The bad: The teams O line has how many 1st round draft picks, and they cannot pick up blitz's or stunts?

The ugly. ALEX SMITH- He should be cut tomorrow, I would rather see Mesoli start than watch another coach go down becuase the SEVENTH year Smith says the right thing, practices good, than chokes the big chicken more than a college male freshamn in his own dorm room every game.

agreed we lost the 1st preseason game. season is over!
Originally posted by ubaisore94:

I know that there will be a cry of Alexcuses, etc BUT how in the heck could any quarterback have done anything with guys coming in untouched or pushing the line back into the QB? I don't know how he will be this season, but I can't find a way to blame him for the time he was in.... the O Line (along with a few of the skill gus) need to make blocks... yes I know the love child of Montana and Favre could have thrown a touchdown with that pressure tonight, but expecting that form a QB is nonsensical

^^^^^AGREED
Originally posted by ubaisore94:

You get rid of the ball earlier. It really is that simple. The receivers were open on most of those blitzes. I don't know what Smith was looking at on the play where he rolled out and got sacked, he had guys wide open, but he just held on too long.
Kaepernick had a play where the LE beat the LT around the edge, but he stepped up in the pocket and completed the pass. Smith had a nearly identical play, where he didn't step up enough and could not get the throw off because of it.

Many of the plays deserved Alexcuses, but many did not.
The GOOD
-our secondary has improved alot thanks to whitner, rogers, adams, and culliver(these guys looked solid)
-Kap is comin around, of course he cant pick up the offense that fast but he showed good pocket pressure awareness and mobility
-Outside linebackers look really good(Aldon Smith and Ahmad brooks should great potential)
-ian williams and dobbs. Good UDFA pickups!

The BAD
-Synder,Synder,Synder. Why the f**k was Goodwin on first team???
-Mays....he needs to friggin wrap up. he got a few tackles but he got lucky on some of em
-Alex Smith. no pocket pressure awareness and no mobility(Synder made a ton as bad snaps tho)
-anthony dixon. Seriously he needs to convert to fullback fulltime because hes way to slow for RB but he had some good blocks in pass protection
-Didnt see much from linebackers, it seemed like the run game of the saints was going a number on our Middle linebackers and middle D-line

Not worried tho...Harbaugh is saving his best coachings for the regular season and i have faith in alot of our players especially KAP. i believe Kap will win the starting job easy if Alex Smith plays anywhere near what he did today
Share 49ersWebzone