LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Anybody worried that Alex will rely TOO much on check downs to Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Therefore, chances are, yes, he will over-rely on checkdowns.
LOL...still no answer to my original question, why was Hill able to play better than Alex under the same crappy situations (bad coaching, no weapons, no OL help)? You actually already know the answer: Hill was/is better than Alex.

Newsflash to Alex and his fans: Checkdowns are not designed throwing plays. Checkdowns are your 3rd, 4th options, when your WR's or TE's are covered and you have no choice but to throw to the RBs so you don't take a sack.

Walsh ran designed plays to RB's and FBs in the flats i.e curl routes, swing passes, wheel routes. Backs were the 1st option on many pass plays. Its amazing how today's 49ers fans have no idea what the WCO actually looked like.

Walsh ran WR's crossing routes to draw the defense away from a certain part of the field so the RBs would be left one-on-one with a LB or safety.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DesiDez:
LOL...still no answer to my original question, why was Hill able to play better than Alex under the same crappy situations (bad coaching, no weapons, no OL help)? You actually already know the answer: Hill was/is better than Alex.

Newsflash to Alex and his fans: Checkdowns are not designed throwing plays. Checkdowns are your 3rd, 4th options, when your WR's or TE's are covered and you have no choice but to throw to the RBs so you don't take a sack.

Walsh ran designed plays to RB's and FBs in the flats i.e curl routes, swing passes, wheel routes. Backs were the 1st option on many pass plays. Its amazing how today's 49ers fans have no idea what the WCO actually looked like.

Walsh ran WR's crossing routes to draw the defense away from a certain part of the field so the RBs would be left one-on-one with a LB or safety.

with espn's new QBR system, Hill shows up quite a bit better than Smith... moreso than with the old system. Also, Smith had the 3rd worst rating in the NFL last year under this new QBR system, confirming what we already knew.
I really don't care if Alex throws the ball to quite possibly our best player on offense every play as long as it is excuted for a good gain. If they can't stop it, then f**k em up.
Originally posted by Shaj:
with espn's new QBR system, Hill shows up quite a bit better than Smith... moreso than with the old system. Also, Smith had the 3rd worst rating in the NFL last year under this new QBR system, confirming what we already knew.

The answer to that question is Hill was better at the time. Now the question to you. Why is Hill no longer here? By the way, that play you are trying to describe is called a flood or flood zone play, it is a play I hope to see a lot of this year cause Frank Gore > most linebackers and just about every safety in the open field.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

The answer to that question is Hill was better at the time. Now the question to you. Why is Hill no longer here? By the way, that play you are trying to describe is called a flood or flood zone play, it is a play I hope to see a lot of this year cause Frank Gore > most linebackers and just about every safety in the open field.
When Hill was here, he played as well or better than Smith. Now let us include the leadership in the huddle. Players "felt" Hill.
Originally posted by Joecool:
When Hill was here, he played as well or better than Smith. Now let us include the leadership in the huddle. Players "felt" Hill.

That is just speculation Joe, from what the players said to Sando on the NFC West blog he runs, the players never gave up on Smith, they know what a raw deal he has been dealt, Not that it really matter though, because the bottom line is Smith is our QB this year, and some folks need to learn how to man up and deal with it. On that note, I commend you level headedness as I remember you being one of the more biased posters over the past couple of seasons.

That is just speculation Joe, from what the players said to Sando on the NFC West blog he runs, the players never gave up on Smith, they know what a raw deal he has been dealt, Not that it really matter though, because the bottom line is Smith is our QB this year, and some folks need to learn how to man up and deal with it. On that note, I commend you level headedness as I remember you being one of the more biased posters over the past couple of seasons.

A lot of the reasons why Smith is here and hill is not have nothing to do with on the field and everything to do with money and time investment.If Smith went to another team and played like last year, that team would do to him as we did with Hill, which is use him as a place holder, if even that.
Also, I think Alex Smith will have a very solid year.
A lot of the reasons why Smith is here and hill is not have nothing to do with on the field and everything to do with money and time investment.If Smith went to another team and played like last year, that team would do to him as we did with Hill, which is use him as a place holder, if even that.
Also, I think Alex Smith will have a very solid year.

That line of thinking makes no sense Joe, if they thought he was no good, they would have cut their losses and stuck with Hill, he would have been cheaper and that also shoots a gaping hole in the Yorks are cheap argument as well. The fact they resigned him shows that the powers that be thought he had a higher ceiling than Hill (not saying they are right or wrong here). The fact that Harbaugh supposedly went back and watched every single snap of Smith's career and decided to go with him over anyone else out there makes me able to be positive about the situation. the guy does seem to know quarterbacking. Only guys that are full of themselves( or full of b******t) would think they are better qualified to judge Smiths or anyone's ability to play quarterback in the NFL.
If Smith did not restructure a while back, he wouldn't be here.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Hill is no longer here because Sing wanted to boost Smith's confidence by not having to look over his shoulder. It didn't work and we lost a very solid QB and ended up with a roster filled with 3 backup caliber QB's.
Hill is no longer here because Sing wanted to boost Smith's confidence by not having to look over his shoulder. It didn't work and we lost a very solid QB and ended up with a roster filled with 3 backup caliber QB's.

so shaun hill isnt a backup caliber qb? surely you are not implying he is starter material?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:

so shaun hill isnt a backup caliber qb? surely you are not implying he is starter material?

he's pretty much backup material but might flourish in the right system, like Marc Bulger did, but not to that level.

he's better than Smith. He's got more leadership, accuracy, attitude, and most importantly, he has the moxie and the ability to win games. The ability to throw long is overrated, esp in the WCO. Montana had a noodle arm too.
Hill is a very heady player and a good leader, very decisive. A Smith was a young QB with a quiet demeanor. They were good friends and competitors. The problem with Hill was his limited arm strength. He could not make the throws down the field and thus teams would begin to take chances leaving DBs one on one and crowding the line of scrimmage, which they did increasingly game by game. Smith was seen as having much more potential.

Shaq--predictors should take into account change from the past. If the 9ers still had Nolan as HC Smith would be long gone and we would be doing to CK what we did to Smith...starting him too early. With Harbaugh a better but young OLine and better receivers Smith has a different opportunity.
lol only if he had time to make a check down lol
Share 49ersWebzone