There are 179 users in the forums

Anybody worried that Alex will rely TOO much on check downs to Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I believe that today was a prime example of Alex's fear to throw the football down the field. A perfect example was when the 9ers were in the red zone, and Crabtree was wide open, and instead of stepping up in the pocket and throwing to a wide open Crabtree, he checked it out to Gore which amounted to nothing.

People keep saying that, but right when alex was releasing the ball he had pressure on his left, and I think up the middle. Crabtree came out of his break open about 1-2 seconds after alex had already thrown the ball.

Granted, maybe alex could have THROWN crabtree open. I'd rather not have alex trying to make Aaron rodgers type throws just yet though.

Oh my after 7 years you NEED to be able to anticipate that and make that throw that's what QBs do
With no sacks, why didn't we ever try anything deep down field.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Oh my after 7 years you NEED to be able to anticipate that and make that throw that's what QBs do

Not trying to make an alexcuse, but he is pretty much just finally being coached to learn how to play QB.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I'm sure I'm exagerrating, but it sure seems he relies on the checkdown way too much. he managed a pretty good game yesterday, btu he's still reluctant to throw downfield and to "throw his receivers open" as one poster mentioned. Did he even break 200 yds, and when's the last time he threw a TD pass? Just sayin'.
Remember last home game in '10? The fans booed at him. Imagine, what would have happened if he had thrown an interception.
When somebody was open downfield, besides Crabs, he threw the pass. We saw 3 of those attempts yesterday, iirc. There was no need to be risky b/c we dominated Seattle from the first minute.
An interception could have switched that momentum.
[ Edited by communist on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM ]
I dont think soo, that pass to Morgan was a thing of beauty. That pass to Crabs, I rewatched, and if anyone rewatches that individual play, You can see that as soon as Alex's throwing motion begins, Crabs makes the break and by the time when Alex's arm is fully extended and the ball is released then u see him just about to make that cut behind the other receiver. IMHO Crabs jumped up like the pass was missed, but when Alex was scanning the field he wasnt there just yet.

Now i do believe in throwing the receiver open, but when running right behind another player, (I cant remember who it was) there was a defender close, and he could of easily stood his ground and got that INT, so while i wanted that TD to Braylon, I'll take that running TD, and mistake free football.
I dont think soo, that pass to Morgan was a thing of beauty. That pass to Crabs, I rewatched, and if anyone rewatches that individual play, You can see that as soon as Alex's throwing motion begins, Crabs makes the break and by the time when Alex's arm is fully extended and the ball is released then u see him just about to make that cut behind the other receiver. IMHO Crabs jumped up like the pass was missed, but when Alex was scanning the field he wasnt there just yet.

Now i do believe in throwing the receiver open, but when running right behind another player, (I cant remember who it was) there was a defender close, and he could of easily stood his ground and got that INT, so while i wanted that TD to Braylon, I'll take that running TD, and mistake free football.

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I'm sure I'm exagerrating, but it sure seems he relies on the checkdown way too much. he managed a pretty good game yesterday, btu he's still reluctant to throw downfield and to "throw his receivers open" as one poster mentioned. Did he even break 200 yds, and when's the last time he threw a TD pass? Just sayin'.
Remember last home game in '09? The fans booed at him. Imagine, what would have happened if he had thrown an interception.
When somebody was open downfield, besides Crabs, he threw the pass. We saw 3 of those attempts yesterday, iirc. There was no need to be risky b/c we dominated Seattle from the first minute.
An interception could have switched that momentum.

Everyone talks about people not trusting smith, I don't think smith trusts crabtree to do what he needs to do.
he threw down field a few times and VD made no effort on one and was held for an obvious PI on one. it wasnt in the game plan yesterday, we will need to open things up this week with dallas. we didnt need to do anything risky yesterday so we didnt. thats just good coaching
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
nvm
[ Edited by susweel on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM ]

• obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I believe that today was a prime example of Alex's fear to throw the football down the field. A perfect example was when the 9ers were in the red zone, and Crabtree was wide open, and instead of stepping up in the pocket and throwing to a wide open Crabtree, he checked it out to Gore which amounted to nothing.

People keep saying that, but right when alex was releasing the ball he had pressure on his left, and I think up the middle. Crabtree came out of his break open about 1-2 seconds after alex had already thrown the ball.

Granted, maybe alex could have THROWN crabtree open. I'd rather not have alex trying to make Aaron rodgers type throws just yet though.

Agreed, a good QB would have noticed the defender that was covering Crabs cheating towards Davis side which allowed Crabs to become wide open.
Yes. but i'm just used to it at this point.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
not reading this whole thread lol. If you were paying attention none of Alex's checkdowns were designed to go straight to him, Gore was his 3rd or 4th read for the play and he picked Gore so he could keep the drive alive and not force a turnover, he threw a couple "checkdowns" to morgan if I'm not mistaken and I'm not complaining at all. Alex played great and was given ample time to go through his progressions by the o-line(ZERO SACKS ALLOWED, probably only a handful of "pressures"). If there secondary was covering our guys so well then I'm happy with alex's decision making.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
As we all know, Alex is the check down master. Now that we are installing the West Coast Offense, are you worried that he will continue to not go through his reads and just check it down to Frankie?

he's very good at working through his reads, I don't have concern with that. But he's overly cautious on making throws and is not good at throwing before his receivers are open, AND he has historically checked down excessively, so yes, I am worried about this.
Share 49ersWebzone