Originally posted by bzborow1:
All games are important, but this one may perhaps be more so in the sense that it will allow the fans to gauge just how good the 49ers really are. Despite Detroit's start, I believe there are skeptics (justifiably so). With the Giants, there come no skeptics, as they have proven they can hang with the elite clubs in all of football. The 49ers performance in this game is probably a good gauge as to where they end up this year. Are they another 1-and-done NFC West team with an inflated record, or are they serious contenders in the NFC. The road wins against Philadelphia, Detroit and Cincinnati appear a whole lot better now than they did at the beginning of the year, which gives me confidence the 49ers have the talent to win this game.
The Giants appear, on paper, to be the ideal foil for Jim Harbaugh's type of offense. They have a very good defensive front that is also deep. That is, they have the manpower to stand up to any over-sized fronts the 9ers may use. These teams are very similar with the exception being the Giants passing game. I suppose this is going to be a big test for the 9ers secondary, and I hope our corners are up to the challenge. No big plays please. I'm not sure what the turnover numbers are, but I'm thinking the Giants probably cough the ball up a fair bit more than the 49ers do, so perhaps that's an equalizing factor in this.
I can't wait for this game.
NOTE: We must be the least covered 7-1 team in history. If nothing else, the fact we're playing the Giants and Manning should mean I get to here SOMETHING of a pregame. I'm sick of hearing about Manning's neck. For heck's sake, the NFL media covers Andrew Luck more on a weekly basis than the 9ers.
We win ugly with field goals being half of the scoring highlight. Not enough highlight reel. Thats just fine with me.
CANT WAIT FOR THIS FN GAME! i could jog to giants stadium, and just about all of my friends are giant fans. some of them have been talking ish to me over this past decade about how we suck and our glory days are over. Some were saying a few weeks ago that the 9ers gonna beat them, but after beating the pats they are confident. it will be a fun week of smack talk, and if the 9ers win i will have a lot to gloat about. Will be a tough game, but one we can and should win if we keep playing great d and mistake free offense.
Actually... does anybody remember this gem of a game leading up to the 1990 NFC Championship game? -Sunday feels almost more congruent to this game in a 'creepy' sort of way: