LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

***SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. DETROIT LIONS GAMEDAY THREAD ***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's throws a TD on 4th down on the road against an undefeated team and somehow it's "bad.".... Talk about HATEXCUSES. I'll take that kind of "bad" play from Alex each and every week of the season. Last time I checked if you get it in there on 4th down and win the game it counts any which way you do it. And I think it still counts as a "W." Or do they take that away?

They really should give Alex his due for his red zone stats. They're pretty amazing, despite his flaws
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
He shut down Bosch for the rest of the game. Staley had a great game, except that first play. I'll take that.

Its a 60 minute game for everybody but the O-line.

Don't know of any great tackle who never gave up a sack since we started keeping track of this stat. Like I said, he had a great game - not a perfect game.
This first play of the game looked just like the first play of the Viking game in 2009: Staley being flat out beat in a loud enviroment on the very first snap.
This first play of the game looked just like the first play of the Viking game in 2009: Staley being flat out beat in a loud enviroment on the very first snap.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
what a difference a good crowd and a dome make. All that noise actually changes the outcome of the game.
I've been critical of Staley on this play but it is a difficult situation. You can't hear the QB in that stadium, have to look right for a physical cue, and the DE is just Ting off up field to gain an advantage. Still, I'm sure Staley graded himself down for that play...just can't give an open path to the QB. If the DE had decided to break Smith's back instead of going for the ball it might have ended the 9ers season...many QBs have been injured by a quick hit from the blind side--which is why LTs earn more than RTs.

As far as offsides is concerned, I can't tell on the replays and have not seen a replay from down the line that might be definitive.
I've been very critical of Staley the entire season, but after re-watching the play several times, I've concluded that it was just an excellent play by KVB. He got lucky in timing the snap just right and got an incredible jump. There really isn't much you can do to recover in that situation. Props to KVB for making a great play.
We have been losing for too long. Looking a one key play here or there that cost us the game, crying over spilled milk. Yeah, Joe whiffed on that play, we won, get used to it! That's right even winning teams have a mistake here and there, it happens a good team moves on, we did, and we won, get used to it. We are becoming a winner, we will get better, and better, but there will always be some one who makes a mistake, but we are winning, get used to it!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I've been critical of Staley on this play but it is a difficult situation. You can't hear the QB in that stadium, have to look right for a physical cue, and the DE is just Ting off up field to gain an advantage. Still, I'm sure Staley graded himself down for that play...just can't give an open path to the QB. If the DE had decided to break Smith's back instead of going for the ball it might have ended the 9ers season...many QBs have been injured by a quick hit from the blind side--which is why LTs earn more than RTs.

As far as offsides is concerned, I can't tell on the replays and have not seen a replay from down the line that might be definitive.

Vandnbosch is not the kind of guy to try and hurt someone when he can get the ball, he played for the titans a few years and being where I am I am subjugated to their games every so often. He is not a dirty player, just goofy with the contact lenses.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Vandnbosch is not the kind of guy to try and hurt someone when he can get the ball, he played for the titans a few years and being where I am I am subjugated to their games every so often. He is not a dirty player, just goofy with the contact lenses.

Glad to hear this. Not suggesting that a dirty play would be necessary to hurt the QB though. Jim Burt ended Montana's season with a good hit from behind...not in the pocket but still a clean hit. If Vandenbosch had not taken quite as deep a path he may not have had a choice to go for the ball.

I have noticed that defenders are not choosing to make those career ending hits on QBs for the most part. They seem intent to just take them down and go for the ball. The league is probably behind this and I am glad to see it as an unprotected player should be protected via rules. I've see Willis do this when he hits the QB it is clean and efficient, not brutal...although I should perhaps ask the tackled players their opinion!

I think that play rattled us for a while, but the team slowly pulled themselves together. I think Harbaugh was confident by the team's play in the Bucs game and in practice earlier that week. I was surprised that he called a pass play at the start at around the 20 yds line on the road considering the reputation of the defensive line of the Lions. After that play, Harbaugh had to 'lick our wound' and rebuild their confidence.

Not sure what happened to Anthony Davis in that game. He was pissed the whole game. There were extra activities after a few plays between he and Lions defenders. We might see a totally different Anthony Davis from now on. It's akin to someone not taking any bully or bull***t any longer. A timid, decent big guy turing mean
Originally posted by darkknight49:
if you're going t f**k up, make it the first play.

• lyer
  • Veteran
he wasnt offsides, staley just got beat bad.

the walker "false start" was him going in motion and was one of eight hundred horrible calls in the game.
dtg, i thot i remembered Burt hit joe chest to chest and cold cocked him.

As for the vandenBosch play, i had hoped against the suh line, Coach Harbaugh would call all 1-2 steppers, at least until they got a feel for Suh's line.Well, it was a one stepper all right, but it was a deep pass on a one stepper against supposedly the best DL in the league. And yeah , Staley just whiffed on him...his real only miscue the entire game which i still graded him on as an A.

The problem? This was Harbaugh's mistake, trying to throw deep against an obvious terrific Lions DL, with only a one step drop. Should have been a quick hitting slant. Coach goofed, pure and simple...it was his ONLY mistake all game. His grade : Strong A, esp for his playcalling, both O and D, as well as game plan. Who would have thot he knew we could handle the Suh line...not me. Without the initial call, Coach would have gotten an A+, which i kinda want to give him anyway.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's throws a TD on 4th down on the road against an undefeated team and somehow it's "bad.".... Talk about HATEXCUSES. I'll take that kind of "bad" play from Alex each and every week of the season. Last time I checked if you get it in there on 4th down and win the game it counts any which way you do it. And I think it still counts as a "W." Or do they take that away?

They really should give Alex his due for his red zone stats. They're pretty amazing, despite his flaws

Yeah but the haters both WZ and TV commentary never want to look at the other side.
Share 49ersWebzone