LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

***SF 49ERS VS. HOU TEXANS GAMEDAY THREAD (Preseason Week 3)***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Regarding Colin, I would think this is an opportunity for Harbaugh to see if he is a viable number 2 for the season ahead. Especially with some cuts coming up from other teams.
Originally posted by firehouse538:
Regarding Colin, I would think this is an opportunity for Harbaugh to see if he is a viable number 2 for the season ahead. Especially with some cuts coming up from other teams.

BINGO! There will undoubtedly be good players cut in the next few weeks and this is an opportunity to see if our second string can play against legit NFL talent. And if not, it gives us a window to go a get someone before the season starts.
Our starting offense is hot and cold so far. Assuming they learned from NO and that OAK is not terrible, there should be more improvement this week. Our starting defense seems to be pretty consistent and hopefully that carries over into the HOU game. As long as we don't look worse than last week, I am okay with the end result!
I also would not be surprised to see our starters play longer than normal in the 4th game for cohesion.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by firehouse538:

BINGO! There will undoubtedly be good players cut in the next few weeks and this is an opportunity to see if our second string can play against legit NFL talent. And if not, it gives us a window to go a get someone before the season starts.

Yup, Colin is the future, and a smart coach looks to see if there's a grain of 'fact' to the argument. -Once Alex either goes down, or pulls another "Alex" we have to have a guy in there who can carry the team, and win games.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yup, Colin is the future, and a smart coach looks to see if there's a grain of 'fact' to the argument. -Once Alex either goes down, or pulls another "Alex" we have to have a guy in there who can carry the team, and win games.

If we lose Alex, we are f**ked anyway. Colin doesn't look much like a pro QB yet, though he does seem to be making some progress.
Personally, I think it would be a good idea to not carry a 3rd QB. Love the approach of getting Kaep in early to get an idea of how he can do against what should be a good 1st string D.

I mean, really: does anyone think that, say, McCown won't be available some time later in the season if we need him?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

If we lose Alex, we are f**ked anyway. Colin doesn't look much like a pro QB yet, though he does seem to be making some progress.

We need to keep him off the field this year as much as possible if we really want him to develop longterm
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Personally, I think it would be a good idea to not carry a 3rd QB. Love the approach of getting Kaep in early to get an idea of how he can do against what should be a good 1st string D.

I mean, really: does anyone think that, say, McCown won't be available some time later in the season if we need him?

True that McCown will prob be available later. But it would be nice if he at least knew the offense if we do need him.

yes and no, let Kap play until mid 4th and let the McRetard play the rest. I really like Kap but everybody needs some reps.

Originally posted by jreff22:

yes and no, let Kap play until mid 4th and let the McRetard play the rest. I really like Kap but everybody needs some reps.

i mean on the regular season roster. Harbs was non-committal about carrying a 3rd Qb this season. I think part of the reason that Kaep is getting the early snaps saturday is to help make that determination. If Kaep plays well enough that Harbs feels comfortable inserting him into the game in an emergency, then maybe we won't need to keep McCown. Like I said, I'm sure he'll still be on the street later in the season if we needed him.

Its a risky move, obviously, but if it came down to it, would you rather keep McCown on the roster, who will likely never see the field and has no future with the team, or, say, Dobbs, (just to pull a name out of the air), a player who might have a future with the team and might not clear waivers?

i mean on the regular season roster. Harbs was non-committal about carrying a 3rd Qb this season. I think part of the reason that Kaep is getting the early snaps saturday is to help make that determination. If Kaep plays well enough that Harbs feels comfortable inserting him into the game in an emergency, then maybe we won't need to keep McCown. Like I said, I'm sure he'll still be on the street later in the season if we needed him.

Its a risky move, obviously, but if it came down to it, would you rather keep McCown on the roster, who will likely never see the field and has no future with the team, or, say, Dobbs, (just to pull a name out of the air), a player who might have a future with the team and might not clear waivers?

I would rather throw McRetard to the wolves then let Kap play, I don't want a repeat of Alex.
I would rather throw McRetard to the wolves then let Kap play, I don't want a repeat of Alex.

Well maybe we will get lucky and the team will keep getting better and we won't need to. If Smith plays as well as he did against the raiders consistently, e will be fine. The key is the o line, if they are solid, the rest of the offense will be as well.

Kap has shown 150% better play in preseason compared to Alex's rookie year. Don't worry, Alex repeat is rare. I think you forgot how frozen he was his rookie year.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Well maybe we will get lucky and the team will keep getting better and we won't need to. If Smith plays as well as he did against the raiders consistently, e will be fine. The key is the o line, if they are solid, the rest of the offense will be as well.

I'm still banking on 3-4 tips from Crabs that will turn in INT's
Share 49ersWebzone