LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

How much are we going to play a fullback this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My bad, wrong name. Now back to the topic. The fact that they had so many defensive players in on short yardage tells me something.
I think we will see a lot of either Bruce Miller or Delaine Walker. It will come down to who can catch a pass or take a hand-off better.

We do need an extra blocker on the field most of the time (either a fullback, an extra TE, an H-back, etc). But the reason why the traditional blocking fullback is becoming a dinosaur is because it tells the defense a lot about the play before the snap. If you never pass it to your FB, then whenever he is on the field the defense has one less guy they have to account for.

Also, with a guy like LaMichael James, I'd like to see the FB handling blitz pick-up on 3rd down... not the RB.
I think obviously with all the playmakers the Niners have been signing this offseason, we could expect to see a drop in FB playing time. However, knowing how the coaching staff likes to use and throw different personnel packages and different formations at the opposing defense, Bruce Miller and company will definitely get to see their fair share of the field this year, just maybe not as much as last season.
Depends on field position and down. Obvious passing down then Miller is more of a blocker.

HOWEVER, I can see JH/Roman using him creatively in some surprise packages. Like last year.
The FB used to be a stud in the WCO but I don't think we run anything close to a traditional WCO...on any level really. That said, we don't really know what our offense is b/c of the lock out last year. I'm curious to see how much Miller is used next year b/c the guy can flat out play (even score TD's) and can be a great weapon if used correctly.
NV champ, I don't think we know what kind of O we will run this yr. My money is on AJ split wide, or in slot, and LaMichael split wide in the backfield, to other side, and that is what I think is going to be our routine 3rd down/RZ Offense. As for the other downs, you may be right. But on moving the chains downs, or RZ, the package i noted is the one I am betting Coach uses. Just an opinion, so no way of knowing what will actually happen. Sure makes first game of the yr exciting tho.
Originally posted by NCommand:
The FB used to be a stud in the WCO but I don't think we run anything close to a traditional WCO...on any level really. That said, we don't really know what our offense is b/c of the lock out last year. I'm curious to see how much Miller is used next year b/c the guy can flat out play (even score TD's) and can be a great weapon if used correctly.

The terminology and route concepts Harbaugh brought to the team are purely WCO. He bases it all of of the power game but his WCO is about as close as anyone else in the NFL gets. Reid, Shannahan, McCarthy, all of these guys run a WCO that is equally different from what Bill Walsh used to run
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone