There are 240 users in the forums

How much are we going to play a fullback this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to not see 100 snaps all year with a fullback on the field. Obviously Gore, Davis, Edwards, and Crabtree are gonna be on the field on almost every play. And between Walker and Morgan/Ginn, that 5th skill position slot should be more than spoken for. Is there a chance we don't even carry a single fullback on the roster? We probably will for goalline plays and stuff, but it'd probably have to be Miller because he would be a core special teamer, right? Is there ANY chance Norris makes the squad?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its written into Frank Gore's contract that the team must have Norris at FB.
Harbaugh is at heart a power football guy. Ever hear of Owen Marecic, the lead-blocking FB at Stanford? Now, Harbaugh may opt to line-up a TE at the FB position, and put him in motion, on occasion. The key will be an offense that is successful enough on 1st and 2nd downs, to avoid excessive 3rd and longs, where the offensive package has to be "all-in" on the passing game. Creative use of the TE's (I expect 4 TE to make the Final 53 roster), will be the hallmark of the 2011 offense.

There will be a healthy dose of FB in the 2011 offense, but I doubt that Moran Norris will be part of that formula.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM ]
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Harbaugh is at heart a power football guy. Ever hear of Owen Marecic, the lead-blocking FB at Stanford? Now, Harbaugh may opt to line-up a TE at the FB position, and put him in motion, on occasion. The key will be an offense that is successful enough on 1st and 2nd downs, to avoid excessive 3rd and longs, where the offensive package has to be "all-in" on the passing game. Creative use of the TE's (I expect 4 TE to make the Final 53 roster), will be the hallmark of the 2011 offense.

There will be a healthy dose of FB in the 2011 offense, but I doubt that Moran Norris will be part of that formula.

I think it'll be that Jack Corcoran guy we signed.
Harbaugh will probably use a split backfield with two RB's from time to time to get more playmakers on the field...Norris cant catch the ball out of the backfield and it signals to the defense we are going to run when he is in the game.

With Dixon or Hunter in the backfield with Gore, the defense wont be so quick to stack 8 in the box against us all season like they did when Jimmy Raye's "run-run-pass-punt offense" was being used
Harbaugh is at heart a power foorball guy. Ever hear of Owen Marecic, the lead-blocking FB at Stanford? Now Harbaugh may opt to line-up a TE at the FB position, and put him in motion, on occasion. The key will be an offense that is successful enough on 1st and 2nd downs, to avoid excessive 3rd and longs, where the offensive package has to be "all-in" on the passing game. Creative use of the TE's (I expect 4 TE to make the Final 53 roster), will be the hallmark of the 2011 offense.

How healthy of a dose can it be though, when each snap a fullback is on the field is a snap that NEITHER Walker NOR Morgan/Ginn is on the field? Injuries could make it more logical, but when everyone's healthy, it's just tough to envision a fullback getting more than a couple snaps a game.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

I like Corcoran's game, but he seems to be a little light to take the pounding on a regular basis. The rookie Miller has the right size, and also the right temperment, but his PUP status due to injury (neck/shoulder) is a troubling setback, which might cost him a roster spot. I think that Byham was targeted for a lot of duty from the FB position, but his injury is season-ending. Norris simply does not possess the required skill set any longer. I would not be surprised, if the FB on the Final 53 is not yet on the roster. Look for the club to cull the late cuts from other TC's.

I like Corcoran's game, but he seems to be a little light to take the pounding on a regular basis. The rookie Miller has the right size, and also the right temperment, but his PUP status due to injury (neck/shoulder) is a troubling setback, which might cost him a roster spot. I think that Byham was targeted for a lot of duty from the FB position, but his injury is season-ending. Norris simply does not possess the required skill set any longer. I would not be surprised, if the FB on the Final 53 is not yet on the roster. Look for the club to cull the late cuts from other TC's.

I really don't want to see Norris as our FB. Maybe Rueland? He will likely be the 3rd TE anyway, so maybe we can save a roster spot by having him play both positions, sort of like Byham was intended to be used this year?

It's hard to see Norris making the final cut, but we might have to keep him by default just due to these injuries. This offense is all about versatility and creativity but if Norris is on the field that makes one of six positions that can get the ball non-versatile and inflexible.
Well we drafted a fullback so you have to assume they have a desire to upgrade the position and use him

I really don't want to see Norris as our FB. Maybe Rueland? He will likely be the 3rd TE anyway, so maybe we can save a roster spot by having him play both positions, sort of like Byham was intended to be used this year?

I might be wrong, but I don't see Reuland as the right body-type to be lead-blocking out of the FB position. Reuland is allegedly a good edge blocker, but that's a different animal tha slamming into a crowded A-gap and blowing-up the MLB. Besides, the other big job of the FB is pass protection. Doubt that a rookie, any rookie, will be the coaches' first choice for such responsibility (unless they can manuever to acquire Marecic).

Mays to Cleveland for Marecic?
[ Edited by jimbagg on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM ]
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Harbaugh will probably use a split backfield with two RB's from time to time to get more playmakers on the field...Norris cant catch the ball out of the backfield and it signals to the defense we are going to run when he is in the game.

With Dixon or Hunter in the backfield with Gore, the defense wont be so quick to stack 8 in the box against us all season like they did when Jimmy Raye's "run-run-pass-punt offense" was being used

I'm not sure Dixon, reportedly now at 250 lbs, won't qualify as the FB. But Norris must go.
62.5 minutes per game.
Originally posted by susweel:
Its written into Frank Gore's contract that the team must have Norris at FB.

That's why the niners are going to give him a new contract, so norris and gtfo.

Quote:
Update: According to the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat, 49ers head coach Mike Singletary said that fullback Moran Norris will likely get some carries
Our new offense utilizes the FB a ton, rest assured there will be plenty of snaps with a FB on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone