LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Peyton coming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Morgan has always been a great team player, great blocker and our most capable receiver. bring him back in. hes been playing in mediocre offenses just like everyone else on our team, lets see what he can do with a years worth of harbaughs offense under his belt. hes got good size, good hands and he blocks very well down field. its not like morgan is gonna break the bank, we probably couldve been talking about our 6th superbowl win right now if Morgan didnt get hurt
I really want this guy to re-sign.
Jerry Sullivan is putting a good word for him down in Jacksonville. They have cap space galore but don't want to spend alot of money because they can't sell seats.

Would not be surprised if they drive up the price on Morgan.

I tend to agree with the people stating him and Crabtree are a bad pair together.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Jerry Sullivan is putting a good word for him down in Jacksonville. They have cap space galore but don't want to spend alot of money because they can't sell seats.

Would not be surprised if they drive up the price on Morgan.

I tend to agree with the people stating him and Crabtree are a bad pair together.

sullivan is a piece of s**t. he was supposed to be this WR guru and we had some of the worst receivers in the league under him. i hope Morgan is back. he and crabtree are pretty similar i guess but Morgan on the field makes crabtree better and vice versa, besides, whoever we bring in here via FA that isnt in that top tier like bowe, jackson, wayne, will be about the same as morgan anyway so why not just keep our guy? hes been down for the niners all these years and hes never complained. i think hes gonna emerge as a playmaker in harbaughs offense
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
sullivan is a piece of s**t. he was supposed to be this WR guru and we had some of the worst receivers in the league under him. i hope Morgan is back. he and crabtree are pretty similar i guess but Morgan on the field makes crabtree better and vice versa, besides, whoever we bring in here via FA that isnt in that top tier like bowe, jackson, wayne, will be about the same as morgan anyway so why not just keep our guy? hes been down for the niners all these years and hes never complained. i think hes gonna emerge as a playmaker in harbaughs offense

Everybody's got a price tag on their value. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if we're outbid by a team that wants an upgrade but doesn't want to break the bank.

Jacksonville looks they're taking that route. They have to spend but they don't want to spend alot.

Everybody's got a price tag on their value. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if we're outbid by a team that wants an upgrade but doesn't want to break the bank.

Jacksonville looks they're taking that route. They have to spend but they don't want to spend alot.

that may be the case but i still think Morgan stays with us. unless hes overly greedy which i dont see him being since hes played 4 years for 1.8 mil. the niners will compensate him. the way i see it is like this, morgan has been struggling all these years just like the rest of our team and now that we have a great coach and we came one game from the superbowl, why wouldnt he want to come back and see if they can finish the job? morgan and smith are comfortable with eachother and they found an offense that finally works. i just dont see smith or morgan wanting to go anywhere else
that may be the case but i still think Morgan stays with us. unless hes overly greedy which i dont see him being since hes played 4 years for 1.8 mil. the niners will compensate him. the way i see it is like this, morgan has been struggling all these years just like the rest of our team and now that we have a great coach and we came one game from the superbowl, why wouldnt he want to come back and see if they can finish the job? morgan and smith are comfortable with eachother and they found an offense that finally works. i just dont see smith or morgan wanting to go anywhere else

What does his rookie contract have to do with anything? He played for that amount because he had to.

I can see why he would stay here. It's one of the few places he would actually start and he actually has chemistry with Alex, but if "x" teams offers him millions of dollars more than we end up offering him that's a tough choice for anyone.

Would not be surprised to see that happen.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfniner:
Originally posted by FL9er:
Morgan is too similar to Crabtree. They do not complement each other. Using the Cowboys comparison, /LMFAO, if Crabtree is Irvin, we need to find Harper.

Crabtree and Morgan too similar?

Crabs is an underneath route possession receiver, Morgan is a big bodied redzone threat.
Morgan is 6'1" hardly a big body, and has never caught more than 3 Tds in a season. Totally a redzone threat lmao.

He honestly is nothing special, nice to have as a 3rd or 4th receiver simply because he has decent hands and got some chemistry going with alex last year. But if he doesn't come cheap, like a 600-700 yard/2 td receiver should, then he can find somewhere else to play with no complaints from me.
I thought Jerry Sullivan retired...I guess he still think he can turn that diamond in the rough. Been 10 years now.

What does his rookie contract have to do with anything? He played for that amount because he had to.

I can see why he would stay here. It's one of the few places he would actually start and he actually has chemistry with Alex, but if "x" teams offers him millions of dollars more than we end up offering him that's a tough choice for anyone.

Would not be surprised to see that happen.

im just sayin a lot of players would b***h about that deal and wanna get out of here considering the lack of success we had during his stay here and how the team was being run by retarded coaches. im just saying with a superbowl ready team and a chance to start, with a team you built some chemistry with, it would be hard to walk away for a little more money. some people want to finish what they started, especially when the niners went from the scrap pile to the NFLs elite again

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I know what you're saying, but the headline reads, 3 years for 6million. The simple math is 2 million a year. And he's just a special teamer, an elite one I conceed. Josh Morgan on the there hand just finished a 4yr 1.8 million dollar contrace (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/josh-morgan/). Yes, you read that right. 1.8 million for four years of service. There is no doubt he wants and should get paid.

The logic behind what he's thinking (or could be) about Spillman is pretty simple, "If they are willing to pay Spillman in one year what I made in four, they should pay me a lot more and with some back pay."
I have always thought thier actual salary was the "guaranteed" money, all else was tied to incentives. Incentives are built around performance, participation, etc. With that in mind Spillman is only making, on average, 600K a year with all the other money only being paid out if those incentives are met. This says that we are willing to pay those guys who do the dirty work on Special teams.BTW, This shouldn't even be in the conversation.
Morgan is coming off his rookie contract with not having broken the 600 yard mark but once, only one season with over 50 receptions and not more than 3 TDs in one single year.(we all know he can block) He also is coming off the injury. He doesn't hold a whole lot of pull in his contract talks IMO.

Morgan is thinking NOTHING of Spillman and his situation. I would believe he wants to go somewhere to fight for the #1 spot over anything and sees that he won't be better than the 3rd option if he stays.

Let me finish saying, I am a Morgan fan and don't believe he has lived up to his potential, partly because of unfortunate events throughout his career.
[ Edited by Smalls on Mar 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Smalls:
I have always thought thier actual salary was the "guaranteed" money, all else was tied to incentives. Incentives are built around performance, participation, etc. With that in mind Spillman is only making, on average, 600K a year with all the other money only being paid out if those incentives are met. This says that we are willing to pay those guys who do the dirty work on Special teams.BTW, This shouldn't even be in the conversation.
Morgan is coming off his rookie contract with not having broken the 600 yard mark but once, only one season with over 50 receptions and not more than 3 TDs in one single year.(we all know he can block) He also is coming off the injury. He doesn't hold a whole lot of pull in his contract talks IMO.

Morgan is thinking NOTHING of Spillman and his situation. I would believe he wants to go somewhere to fight for the #1 spot over anything and sees that he won't be better than the 3rd option if he stays.

Let me finish saying, I am a Morgan fan and don't believe he has lived up to his potential, partly because of unfortunate events throughout his career.

Morgan has improved each year by 200 yards. What round was he drafted in? What was he required to live up to?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Morgan has improved each year by 200 yards. What round was he drafted in? What was he required to live up to?
I wouldn't call that alone very much improvement, but he has improved in his blocking, his ability to get away from a jam on the line of scrimage and his timing with Smith. I see Morgan being drafted late due to character issues and his inconsistency with catching the ball, both of which are easily changed within a reasonable time frame.(one or two seasons I would think) He had and still possesses the physical ability to be a decent WR in the league. He would have even more to prove if he comes back due to the fact of the injury, being around the system and in going into his 5th year, IMO. The guy is a great piece to have on any team and can solidify his spot on a roster if he kicks the errors.
[ Edited by Smalls on Mar 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Smalls:
Originally posted by Joecool:

A whopping 200 more yards, I wouldn't call that alone very much improvement. I see Morgan being drafted late due to character issues and his inconsistency with catching the ball, both of which are easily changed within a reasonable time frame.(one or two seasons I would think) He had and still possesses the physical ability to be a decent WR in the league. He would have even more to prove if he comes back due to the fact of the injury, being around the system and in going into his 5th year, IMO. The guy is a great piece to have on any team and can solidify his spot on a roster if he kicks the errors.

200 yards improvement each year is pretty damn good.
Originally posted by niners94:
200 yards improvement each year is pretty damn good.
Would you still say that if the guy had less TDs, more drops and got mauled at the line?
Share 49ersWebzone