There are 287 users in the forums

49ers 30 million under cap

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
all this math fo nuthin! we just spent a bunch of it on Rogers

This is one signing we really needed. But it seems as though this dude gives more cushion than Nate Clements in a zone defense.

Where did u get that from? He was on an island alot in Washington, hence the cushion, seems fairly smooth in zone from what i have seen, granted it was only what i have seen on TV.

Rogers More Skilled than Clements

Quote:
"I think Carlos has a better physical skill set than Nate Clements at this point in their careers," Cosell said. "But Rogers plays with big cushions and gives up a lot of competitions.

Read more: Analysis: 49ers' Rogers more skilled than Clements
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
That doesnt say anything about a zone?

This is one signing we really needed. But it seems as though this dude gives more cushion than Nate Clements in a zone defense.

Where did u get that from? He was on an island alot in Washington, hence the cushion, seems fairly smooth in zone from what i have seen, granted it was only what i have seen on TV.

Quote:
"I think Carlos has a better physical skill set than Nate Clements at this point in their careers," Cosell said. "But Rogers plays with big cushions and gives up a lot of competitions.

Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Either way, it isn't a good thing.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Quote:

How is it not a good thing? The analyst clearly states that "Rogers more skilled than Clements". That sounds like an upgrade to me. I don't know though, MadDog said differently. Who should I believe?

More skilled but he also said he plays scared and it hasn't translated to the field. He said his confidence is low but he's capable of more. I will go with what he's done on the field.

Alex Smith's confidence is low also but he is more skilled than quite a few QB's. Doesn't mean I would want him over some other QB's in the league.
There is nothing wrong with Smith's personal confidence, detractor. His faith in his OL and receiving corps may not be firm though.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
There is nothing wrong with Smith's personal confidence, detractor. His faith in his OL and receiving corps may not be firm though.

Why do you have to role your eyes? How do you know he doesn't lack confidence?
so we could afford to sign a good qb like Vince Young, or Mcnabb to battle A.Smith........

It's roll, Joe... roll. And Smith has a ton of money to walk away from the game if he didn't have the confidence that he could turn his career success around. He certainly wouldn't have come back to these crap fans if he thought he would fail and couldn't handle the job.

It's roll, Joe... roll. And Smith has a ton of money to walk away from the game if he didn't have the confidence that he could turn his career success around. He certainly wouldn't have come back to these crap fans if he thought he would fail and couldn't handle the job.

When you do it, it's role. For how s**tty he's played in 6 years, he came back because he has a lot to prove and would not get a starting opportunity anywhere else.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

Quote:

How is it not a good thing? The analyst clearly states that "Rogers more skilled than Clements". That sounds like an upgrade to me. I don't know though, MadDog said differently. Who should I believe?

nate cannot cover like rogers period. nate gets burnt way more. so there it is
Originally posted by genz22:
I for one trust the new coaching staff and front office. Let's see what you have before you break the bank for average talent. Obviously Lawson, Clements, etc weren't cutting it so let's see who steps up this year. 2012 is our year to load up on free agents if needed. Build through the draft. Have patience!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/11-teams-still-have-20-million-or-more-in-cap-room/

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Be patient. They have a "plan"...to not spend any money.

Lawson was only $3 million. Crazy we weren't able to sign him for that salary, especially with the massive cap room.

P.S. The apologists for the owners and GM on this board are starting to make me ill. Some are stating, "nobody wants to come here". False: Arizona and Seattle are signing a ton of quality players that will upgrade their team. Umenyiora stated yesterday that he would like a move to Seattle. It is a lame-brain excuse.

Others are stating, "let's let the coach figure out who is good." Silly. Each team has tape and scouts. If you don't know who is good or not good, you should drive 16-wheel trucks instead.

It really comes down to a commitment to win. And, the team is showing this season... that they really aren't hungry to win.

Apologists should be sick to their stomachs that the franchise of Walsh, DeBartolo, Policy, Montana, Rice, and Lott is a bottom-barrell team, instead of defending management relentlessly as if they are related.

Still waiting for Jed to emerge to say that we will make the playoffs. He would be ridiculed from coast to coast.

We have become a "loser" franchise. Congrats, apologists. Now, back to supporting the great Trent Baalke and Jed York.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 2, 2011 at 07:21:20 ]

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
To me, the argument is not about any one individual player, whether they be a free agent from another squad or from ours. The issue is that the Niners knew far in advance that they needed to solve the CB problem for 2011. The options were:
1) Simply pay Nate his money and the issue becomes a non-issue. You deal with finding a new starter next year.
2) Draft a CB who is ready to play and then deal with Clements later.
3) Ensure that there is no way that a quality starting free agent gets through your hands, even if you have to overpay. You have to overpay because you have bypassed Steps 1 and 2.

The Niners have skipped Steps 1, 2, and 3, and now trot out the ridiculous line, "be patient", "we have a plan". No, you don't, and don't pretend that we are stupid.

The team is now stuck. Quality CB's are not released during training camp. Nickel and dime CB's are. And, we already have a long list of nickel and dime CB's littering our roster. So, we enter 2011 with Spencer and Brown as our corners, and they will be matched up with Rice and M. Williams twice, Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards (probably) twice. That is simply not competitive.

The Seahawks and Cardinals and Rams are at least making an attempt to upgrade their rosters. We are simply sitting back, hoping for minor miracles to take place.

Finally, I am tired of excuses by Niners management. We heard the line during the draft, "there were no takers", "nobody wanted to move down", blah, blah, blah, and now we are trying but we simply don't want to overpay, or these players didn't want to come here. Our management is passive, and when you are passive, you get run over.

Cheers. [/b]

Lulz

The recent Nnamdi signing got me thinking to two years ago, when posters ripped Baalke for not inking Nnamdi then to a huge mega-deal. There are some great Baalke hating posts out there, but none better than good 'ol MD.

He was right, Baalke and York are great!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i think bringing back a two year post in order to rip another poster is childish. have you ever been on the wrong side of a player or coach judgement? sheesh
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
things sure have changed around these parts.
Share 49ersWebzone