There are 236 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

• Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by dj43:
All of these recent signings are upgrades from last season.
Rogers = better cover man than Clements.

Whitner = better than Goldson

Williams = better than "who?"

Edwards = better than Crabtree who was never close to a #1. At least Edwards has played like a #1 in the past.

Goodwin = better than Baas.

Add in the fact that Aldon is looking very strong as a pass rusher in practice...and this looks MUCH better than a week ago.

Still a long way to go before this team catches up with the rest of the league but at least these developments look well managed and positive.

i still dont think we have a true #1 but we have 3 #2 who are good at different things

crabtree perfect fir for WCO makes great cuts and hands CAN be good (just inconsistent but i think it was chemistry issues from not practicing with smith)

braylon has speed and good hands

morgan is a great possesion WR
also dont forget VD and delante

+1 re: Upgrades

I'm happy to let these guys go except I liked Baas but sounds like he got a big payday so okay. Goldson's got a probowl mouth coming out of a mediocre players body. Clements is a class guy but I think he's just getting old. Thank god we got a real #1 receiver in Edwards for this season. Crabtree looked great in college but he's done nothing but run wrong routes and been perennially injured. I can see him asking for big $$$ in the future and leaving.

Let's see, minus Rachal, our O-line looks pretty awesome compared to previous years. Is Morgan on the bubble with all the wideouts competing now?

I think we got a pass rusher in Aldon Smith finally and I think RJF will continue to do a good job with Franklin gone. And like you said more talent in the backfield than a long time. Do we actually have a competent passing defense?? discuss.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'll say A- now. B+ at least.

B+ MAYBE A-

I'd STILL like it if we had gotten a lock down corner and pushed spencer down to nickle. I'm happy with the rest of it though.
I'd give it a B+. He did a very good job all things considering. I would only give him an A if he did an out of this world job, which he didn't do. I'd give the Eagles an A. The Rams and Seahawks an A- etc.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I'd give it a B+. He did a very good job all things considering. I would only give him an A if he did an out of this world job, which he didn't do. I'd give the Eagles an A. The Rams and Seahawks an A- etc.

Agree. I think he was patient and did a great job filling holes and not breaking the bank for players. Can't wait to see this team play
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
.....................AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Great part of that movie,lol.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Agree. I think he was patient and did a great job filling holes and not breaking the bank for players. [u]Can't wait to see this team play

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 6, 2011 at 9:04 AM ]
There is no question that in terms of money for value, Baalke dominated FA.

Whether we upgraded, stayed the same or regressed remains to be seen until the season starts.

I would vote that we upgraded, maybe not significantly talent-wise (aside from the WR position which is a huge upgrade to the group overall) but in terms of consistency on the defensive side of the ball.
No doubt Baalke did a nice job of adding solid players that we needed to our roster without breaking the bank. We are really in a nice position here as we addressed our main areas and have saved quite a bit of money doing so. My outlook on the season is much more optimistic than it was a week ago.
Originally posted by dj43:
All of these recent signings are upgrades from last season.

Rogers = better cover man than Clements.

Whitner = better than Goldson

Williams = better than "who?"

Edwards = better than Crabtree who was never close to a #1. At least Edwards has played like a #1 in the past.

Goodwin = better than Baas.

Add in the fact that Aldon is looking very strong as a pass rusher in practice...and this looks MUCH better than a week ago.

Still a long way to go before this team catches up with the rest of the league but at least these developments look well managed and positive.

I don't agree that Goodwin is better than Baas. Goodwin is a quick band-aid and I can foresee us drafting a C in the near term.

-9fA
Again, I don't think we can grade Baalke's performance until we actually see some games played with the new guys. That being said, I've been really impressed with how we approached this FA period. As the economics lesson a few posts back pointed out, the market was flooded, and that enabled us to address needs without over spending. Baalke took advantage of a unique situation created by the lockout. I'd say fairly well played for a new GM.

I also like how we didn't over commit to our acquisitions. The more proven guys get 3 year deals, which allows the team time to address those spots for the future through the draft, while the guys with a question mark or two are on one year deals. It will be interesting to see how the FO handles that, in the event that Edwards or Rogers are having really strong years at the midpoint of the season.

Lastly, someone on here suggested that the Whitner vs Goldson situation involved more luck than anything. While I agree that Whitner's availability was fortunate, it should be noted that the team had intended to resign Goldson all along, but at a specific price. When it appeared that Goldson wasn't going to come off his demands for more money, the team went out and aggressively pursued another quality player to take his spot. They managed to essentially steal him from another team, and didn't have to break the bank to do so. So, while Whitner may not have been the plan from the start, I think this move shows a nice ability to react to a situation and adjust your plan to fit the circumstances. Or, as Gunny Highway would put it, "you improvise, you adapt, you overcome."

Overall, I'm impressed with the moves on paper. Let's see how they play out during the season.

Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
Again, I don't think we can grade Baalke's performance until we actually see some games played with the new guys. That being said, I've been really impressed with how we approached this FA period. As the economics lesson a few posts back pointed out, the market was flooded, and that enabled us to address needs without over spending. Baalke took advantage of a unique situation created by the lockout. I'd say fairly well played for a new GM.

I also like how we didn't over commit to our acquisitions. The more proven guys get 3 year deals, which allows the team time to address those spots for the future through the draft, while the guys with a question mark or two are on one year deals. It will be interesting to see how the FO handles that, in the event that Edwards or Rogers are having really strong years at the midpoint of the season.

Lastly, someone on here suggested that the Whitner vs Goldson situation involved more luck than anything. While I agree that Whitner's availability was fortunate, it should be noted that the team had intended to resign Goldson all along, but at a specific price. When it appeared that Goldson wasn't going to come off his demands for more money, the team went out and aggressively pursued another quality player to take his spot. They managed to essentially steal him from another team, and didn't have to break the bank to do so. So, while Whitner may not have been the plan from the start, I think this move shows a nice ability to react to a situation and adjust your plan to fit the circumstances. Or, as Gunny Highway would put it, "you improvise, you adapt, you overcome."

Overall, I'm impressed with the moves on paper. Let's see how they play out during the season.

I totally agree that it looks like a probable upgrade and at a reasonable price. I am also sure that the coaching staff was involved with selecting who fits their new schemes best too and that should be another plus. From scratching my head one week to a huge smile the next week ....... can't wait.
Is it just me or does Trent Baalke always have this look on his face that says "don't fu¢k with me". It's like a thousand yard stare that could pierce the soul of any agent at a negotiating table.

Trent has done a great job in free agency in my opinion. He has filled all of our big holes without overspending. That is all you could ask for from a GM.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Is it just me or does Trent Baalke always have this look on his face that says "don't fu¢k with me". It's like a thousand yard stare that could pierce the soul of any agent at a negotiating table.

Trent has done a great job in free agency in my opinion. He has filled all of our big holes without overspending. That is all you could ask for from a GM.

Trent could f*ck your mother and there would be nothing you could do about it. It would be a 1 year contract with no guarantees. Stone cold.
Everyone was failing him before the organization signed Edwards. No one, including myself, expected the Niners to go out and get a no. 1 WO. I'm just glad we have some level of competence in the front office now.

If Alex can figure out how to stop noodle-arming throws over the top, we might be a contender this season. It's going to be an interesting one.
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Originally posted by goodthings19:

Trent could f*ck your mother and there would be nothing you could do about it. It would be a 1 year contract with no guarantees. Stone cold.

He'd tell you, he has a plan and now he's executing it...close the f*ckin door!
Share 49ersWebzone