LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 133 users in the forums

Welcome Back, Larry Grant!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Welcome back scrub

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
The front office is killing it! With these signings, our practice squad would own any other practice squad in the league.

lmao.

Yeah lets go overpay for mediocre players who think deserve high dollars cause their arent any real big name guys out their.

Kolb, 63M LMAO
Charles Johnson 72M HAHAHA
Baas 26M LMAO Overrated
Spikes 3yr deal not worth it.

The Spikes deal was only $3M in guaranteed money. That's a drop in the bucket for a starting ILB.
I'm fired up now.
actually a good signing, he was good in STL. I was pissed when he was claimed by them.

He will have a shot at LB and ST to make the 53 man.

U know I am getting sick of everyone b***hing. Its not easy to get a bunch of great players, and as always u dont build thru FA.

And honestly if we were to sign multiple players to big deals, we wont be able to fit them under the new cap structure. So get use to it.

And enough b***hing and support the damn team. I am so sick of everyone being mad cause we lost Baas, Spikes. Didnt get Nnamdi, he wanted to be on a winner, and frankly he took less to go to Philly, and I dont blame him.

And for those mad about Goldson and Lawson, face facts they dont deserve deals they want.

Completely agree AB83
Originally posted by tohara3:
actually a good signing, he was good in STL. I was pissed when he was claimed by them.

He will have a shot at LB and ST to make the 53 man.

U know I am getting sick of everyone b***hing. Its not easy to get a bunch of great players, and as always u dont build thru FA.

And honestly if we were to sign multiple players to big deals, we wont be able to fit them under the new cap structure. So get use to it.

And enough b***hing and support the damn team. I am so sick of everyone being mad cause we lost Baas, Spikes. Didnt get Nnamdi, he wanted to be on a winner, and frankly he took less to go to Philly, and I dont blame him.

And for those mad about Goldson and Lawson, face facts they dont deserve deals they want.

Completely agree AB83

One of the few guys on the Zone that is level headed
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
What's interesting is he stacked on 15 pounds since he was drafted. At 235, he was not a candidate to play TED. At 251 now, however, he is a prime candidate, especially with no one suited to play the position.

I do not want to see Bowman playing inside. He is NOT built to take on blockers. He is built to use his range and speed to track down ball-carriers, rush the passer, cover, and make plays. Bowman is the antithesis of Spikes and that's why he struggled.. MIGHTILY.. when they put him at TED.

We need to put someone else at TED next to Willis. Bowman is not the guy, in my opinion, and if we leave him there, we're soon going to find out he just doesn't do well at that spot. He's a MIKE/SAM tweener.

Ideally, you'd want the depth chart to look like this (with what we currently have..)

SOLB:
Bowman
Brooks
Gibson

LILB
McKillop
Grant
Bruce Miller

RILB:
Willis
Bowman
Kristick

WOLB:
Aldon Smith
Haralson
Might as well get Thomas Clayton back too.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
The front office is killing it! With these signings, our practice squad would own any other practice squad in the league.

lmao.

Yeah lets go overpay for mediocre players who think deserve high dollars cause their arent any real big name guys out their.

Kolb, 63M LMAO
Charles Johnson 72M HAHAHA
Baas 26M LMAO Overrated
Spikes 3yr deal not worth it.

The Spikes deal was only $3M in guaranteed money. That's a drop in the bucket for a starting ILB.

Who we're assuming at his age will (a) make it through the season and (b) won't be a liability in the Vic Fangio defense. The fact that it's a drop in the bucket make me think someone said "he may not fit this defense."

I agree with you. It has been stated that the TED is used slightly differently than it was in the previous defense, so Spikes may not fit the system as well.
Originally posted by thedude:

Amen, brother! I liked Larry Grant and am glad to have him back. Next time a team wins a Super Bowl via mass f/a signings I'll change my tune but that generally ends badly and we're NOT 'one player away' to where a guy like Nnamdi would have got us there. I'm still bummed Spikes is gone, but football is back and I'm interested to see what an upgrade at COACH will do for our current squad.

I agree! Lets go into the season 28 million under the cap and get our asses handed to us, but hey, at least we stuck to our principles and didn't over pay....(for ANYBODY).

What is wrong with over paying for a guy or two? We are not talking doubling what other teams are paying, we are talking about an extra 10 percent of FMV. As a FA, all things being equal, i wouldn't come to the Niners.

AB, being that the cap is your specialty isn't it true that every year players make more and more? And players that are less talent may make more than better players at their position because those other players signed a contract a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure within a year or two Willis will no longer be the highest paid ILB even if he is the best. My point, you can't always compaire current contracts with past contracts, because the inflation factor runs rampaid in the NFL.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 30, 2011 at 12:16:27 ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Amen, brother! I liked Larry Grant and am glad to have him back. Next time a team wins a Super Bowl via mass f/a signings I'll change my tune but that generally ends badly and we're NOT 'one player away' to where a guy like Nnamdi would have got us there. I'm still bummed Spikes is gone, but football is back and I'm interested to see what an upgrade at COACH will do for our current squad.

I agree! Lets go into the season 28 million under the cap and get our asses handed to us, but hey, at least we stuck to our principles and didn't over pay....(for ANYBODY).

What is wrong with over paying for a guy or two? We are not talking doubling what other teams are paying, we are talking about an extra 10 percent of FMV. As a FA, all things being equal, i wouldn't come to the Niners.

AB, being that the cap is your specialty isn't it true that every year players make more and more? And players that are less talent may make more than better players at their position because those other players signed a contract a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure within a year or two Willis will no longer be the highest paid ILB even if he is the best. My point, you can't always compaire current contracts with past contracts, because the inflation factor runs rampaid in the NFL.

We want to have a zillion dollars apparently for next year when -- after HORRIFICALLY SUCKING THIS YEAR - once again NO ONE will want to play for us. Brilliant plan, I say. BRILLIANT.

We want to have a zillion dollars apparently for next year when -- after HORRIFICALLY SUCKING THIS YEAR - once again NO ONE will want to play for us. Brilliant plan, I say. BRILLIANT.

......If i dont laugh, I'll cry.

......If i dont laugh, I'll cry.

Signing Larry Grant helps on two fronts. First of all, he knows all of the Rams incredibly complicated offensive schemes. This will be invaluable when the 49ers play them. Secondly, being from Ohio State, he will know all the great tattoo parlors for the players to hit when they go to Cincinnati this season. It's a win-win situation.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Signing Larry Grant helps on two fronts. First of all, he knows all of the Rams incredibly complicated offensive schemes. This will be invaluable when the 49ers play them. Secondly, being from Ohio State, he will know all the great tattoo parlors for the players to hit when they go to Cincinnati this season. It's a win-win situation.

1- Rams have a new OC and new playbook this year.

2- OSU plays in Columbus which is a couple hours away from Cincy.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

He's also a local boy and is excited to get another shot at being on the Niners, so people should at least root for him.
Share 49ersWebzone