LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Are we seeing a horribly managed free agency? Or something bigger?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigwads:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
First overall pick for andrew luck will be cheap next season!

ding ding ding

We are tanking this season on purpose...that is the only thing that gives me hope...which is pathetic. The Eagles just threw tons of money at like 5 pro bowlers...how is it that we don't have money to do this?

There has to be other reasons why our front office is anemic.

Gee, no one here has ever said that before...

ding ding ding

We are tanking this season on purpose...that is the only thing that gives me hope...which is pathetic. The Eagles just threw tons of money at like 5 pro bowlers...how is it that we don't have money to do this?

Jesus Christ....tanking the season on purpose? Tell that to Jim Harbaugh. We have the money to sign FA's. The problem is the top FA's do not want our money. They want to get paid to play for a winner. I guarantee you the 49ers were not even on Asomugha's, Babin's, or Jenkins's radar. These guys are 30+, and want to win NOW. We have a reputation as being losers. That is why Harbaugh was hired, to a pretty expensive contract I might add.

We have to build from within through the draft, and prove that we are a team that is on its way to being a contender. There is no easy way out of this. I'm not saying we should be completely uninvolved in FA, but to expect us to be major players for all the top free agents is not realistic. I guarantee you if Harbaugh and Kaepernick pan out, free agents would love to play in SF. Then all this talk about the York's being cheap will go out the window.

[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 30, 2011 at 16:52:30 ]
this board...
Originally posted by SofaKing:

ding ding ding

Jesus Christ....tanking the season on purpose? Tell that to Jim Harbaugh. We have the money to sign FA's. The problem is the top FA's do not want our money. They want to get paid to play for a winner. I guarantee you the 49ers were not even on Asomugha's, Babin's, or Jenkins's radar. These guys are 30+, and want to win NOW. We have a reputation as being losers. That is why Harbaugh was hired, to a pretty expensive contract I might add.

We have to build from within through the draft, and prove that we are a team that is on its way to being a contender. There is no easy way out of this. I'm not saying we should be completely uninvolved in FA, but to expect us to be major players for all the top free agents is not realistic. I guarantee you if Harbaugh and Kaepernick pan out, free agents would love to play in SF. Then all this talk about the York's being cheap will go out the window.

true dat
49ers GM Trent Baalke explains team's patient approach to free agency. Will blog it later. Team announces official signing of K David Akers.

Can't wait to read this s**t...
  • nick
  • Veteran
According to ESPN Chicago's Michael C. Wright, the Bears are "unlikely" to re-sign free agent C Olin Kreutz.
There had been hints that negotiations between the two sides had not been going well, but it was still assumed that Kreutz would ultimately be back in the Windy City for a 14th season. If he indeed is not, Roberto Garza, who has not started a game at center since 2005, would be the man to move to the middle for the Bears.
Originally posted by nick:
According to ESPN Chicago's Michael C. Wright, the Bears are "unlikely" to re-sign free agent C Olin Kreutz.
There had been hints that negotiations between the two sides had not been going well, but it was still assumed that Kreutz would ultimately be back in the Windy City for a 14th season. If he indeed is not, Roberto Garza, who has not started a game at center since 2005, would be the man to move to the middle for the Bears.

We still won't get him.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
49ers GM Trent Baalke explains team's patient approach to free agency. Will blog it later. Team announces official signing of K David Akers.

Can't wait to read this s**t...

He will say "our goal for this offseason was to bolster our practice squad."

ding ding ding

Tanking the season on purpose...
It appears the front office is happy with the players on our roster. The bogus line given to reporters about the lack of Niners' action was: we are being patient, like 2/3 of the teams around the league are doing. Interesting and ridiculous answer. Here is a sample of....the NFC West

The Seahawks have gone out and signed a solid starting guard in Robert Gallery, and number one receiver in Sidney Rice, and re-signed their best defensive player Mebane. They lost Hasselback, picked up Jackson, and will probably be the team most likely to be a landing spot for Carson Palmer either in 2011 or 2012.

AND

the Cardinals have picked up their franchise QB, Kevin Kolb, and locked up Richard Marshall to replace Rogers-Cromartie, and picked up Daryn Colledge from GB. They signed Stewart Bradley from Philadelphia, got Jeff King from Carolina, Nick Eason from Pittsburgh, and Chasi Stuckey. They also re-signed center, Lyle Sendlien, and just signed Pork Chop Womack for depth.

AND

the Rams have signed a new starting SS in Quintin Mikell, signed nasty guard Harvey Dahl, picked up Justin Bannan from the Broncos, Mike Sims-Walker from the Jaguars, Zac Diles from Houston, and just retained starting guard Jacob Bell after his release in a restructuring.

While some of these players are not GREAT, it appears each team is making a serious attempt to upgrade their roster. I just hear the Niners "talking" with teams, but unable to seal the deal with the players they are "talking" to.

While there still is time to get this thing together, the fan base has every reason to be skeptical, frustrated, angry with management.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
bigger.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It appears the front office is happy with the players on our roster. The bogus line given to reporters about the lack of Niners' action was: we are being patient, like 2/3 of the teams around the league are doing. Interesting and ridiculous answer. Here is a sample of....the NFC West

The Seahawks have gone out and signed a solid starting guard in Robert Gallery, and number one receiver in Sidney Rice, and re-signed their best defensive player Mebane. They lost Hasselback, picked up Jackson, and will probably be the team most likely to be a landing spot for Carson Palmer either in 2011 or 2012.

AND

the Cardinals have picked up their franchise QB, Kevin Kolb, and locked up Richard Marshall to replace Rogers-Cromartie, and picked up Daryn Colledge from GB. They signed Stewart Bradley from Philadelphia, got Jeff King from Carolina, Nick Eason from Pittsburgh, and Chasi Stuckey. They also re-signed center, Lyle Sendlien, and just signed Pork Chop Womack for depth.

AND

the Rams have signed a new starting SS in Quintin Mikell, signed nasty guard Harvey Dahl, picked up Justin Bannan from the Broncos, Mike Sims-Walker from the Jaguars, Zac Diles from Houston, and just retained starting guard Jacob Bell after his release in a restructuring.

While some of these players are not GREAT, it appears each team is making a serious attempt to upgrade their roster. I just hear the Niners "talking" with teams, but unable to seal the deal with the players they are "talking" to.

While there still is time to get this thing together, the fan base has every reason to be skeptical, frustrated, angry with management.

Great post. I totally agree, maybe the 49ers management thinks fans will just buy everything that comes out of team headquarters as absolute truth and does nto pay attention to other happenings around the league.
MD, you are absolutely right and this is what our GM has to say about it (from the WEBZONE):

"But if you look at this happening across the league, and you look at the 32 teams, there are a bunch of teams that are doing it the exact same way we are. And a bunch of those teams have been very successful doing it that way."

One thing is: the dude is not a strategist. You have to always watch your direct competition and ensure that you out-play them strategically. This guy is just getting played and snookered.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by jrg:
Quote:
More #49ers GM Trent Baalke: 'There are going to be years when maybe we are ultra aggressive. This isn’t one of them. We have a plan.'
The sad thing is we'd probably win the West with the personnel we had last year, and so far, we haven't even been able to maintain the status quo.
Share 49ersWebzone