There are 212 users in the forums

Anyone think Josh Morgan can breakout this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Will Josh Morgan breakout? No and here's why.

He wants the ball but he's slowwwww and has average hands. He doesn't get decent seperation from Def backs. The starters will be Crabtree and Edwards. Morgan will be in on 3-wide but I dont know how much he'll do. I think Vernon has his best year.

He is slow, but I've always thought he had pretty good hands.
Um, not so much... but I'll still root for him and hope I'm wrong!
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Mike Wilson, not Cedric Wilson, seems to be a better analogy for Morgan. Morgan is a physical guy, strong blocker, but without breakaway speed or killer moves. Seems like he would be well-served to learn the slot routes, competing for PT at that position with TE/WR Delanie Walker and WR Ronald Johnson in the Harbaugh offense.

I don't see Crabtree being with the club, once his contract expires. He shows every sign that he just doesn't want to be here, and is just biding his time, until his agent can execute an escape to the Cowboys or wherever. Edwards is on a 1-year contract, and also not likely to be a long-term guy in SF. Morgan is a loyal, dedicated, and talented soldier, who will be here, long after Crabtree and Edwards are gone. The club will need to draft more talent at the WR position over the next year or two, but Morgan can be an important and consistent factor during the WR turnover, that is surely coming in 2012 and 2013.

Braylon is playing for a contract extension,so if he plays well best believe he will be here for another 3-5 yrs

Braylon is playing for a big, multi-year contract, with guaranteed money, in 2012. He doesn't care if that comes in the form of an extension from the Niners or a contract from any other club. Do you really believe that he has any chance to accumulate 90 catches in 2011, which is one of the requirements to reach his full 2011 contract value of $3.5M? Heck, Goodell is likely to suspend him for 4 games or so, for incidents already on the record. And what will be the Niner QB and/or playoff sityuation beyond 2011? Edwards will certainly care about those factors, as well.

I want both Edwards and Crabtree to have stellar years in 2011. That's good for the club and good for the Faithful. I just don't see either in the picture for the long term, ergo, the extra value of Morgan over the next 2-3 years. Mike Wilson was that solid guy behind Rice and Taylor, who always did a nice job, when he was called upon and who did his share to elevate the quality of practices. Morgan can be the same.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Aug 5, 2011 at 1:34 PM ]
I like Morgan, but being the 3rd or 4th option might be his proper role. In which case, this might be his "breakout year" in terms of being put into a position where he can help the team the most without his limitations being too much of a liability. It won't be a breakout year in terms of him having crazy, starter-type numbers, but he could be in a position now to make more impact plays.
Well, I made this thread after Crabtree was injured once again and we weren't signing anyone lol. I hope Morgan plays well in with the opportunities he gets, but I can say that we do not need to rely on him to 'breakout' this year anymore with the addition of Braylon.

Expect Morgan to have something like 30 catches this year. I know he isn't exactly a 'deep threat', but he had a very good YPC last year. He has the ability to make those 30 yard catches every game, which he showed last year.

One problem I have with Morgan being the number 3 is that he isn't exactly the prototypical slot receiver. He is not quick and shifty, so hopefully when we do see 3 receiver sets, it is Crabtree who is in the slot.
Originally posted by sdninerfan:

He wants the ball but he's slowwwww and has average hands. He doesn't get decent seperation from Def backs. The starters will be Crabtree and Edwards. Morgan will be in on 3-wide but I dont know how much he'll do. I think Vernon has his best year.

morgan isnt slow, he just isnt very quick. he runs a 4.4 (timed 4.46) 40 time which is plenty fast. but if we put him in the slot(y) next to vd with crabs(x) and edwards(z) on the outside(3wr 1 te 1 rb set) then he should have a very favorable matchup with most attenion being placed elsewhere by the defense.

but if you dont run a lot of 3 and 4 wr formations then he wont see the field enough to have a breakout year. we will have to wait and see what our offense is going to look like first.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
no
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Ok, so I've never been much of a Morgan fan. I never thought he was very good, but after the news of hearing about Crabtree's 'injury', I've been getting hopeful and curious about Morgan's future with the Niners. I've always defended Crabs in the past, and I still hope he turns out good for us, but 3 straight years no preseason is bulls**t, we don't need a player with his work ethic. I know there's Morgan fans on the Zone, so what do you all think?

how is it bulls**t, hes injured
he should have a good year since it's a contract year. Depends on how long Crabs is out. If Crabs starts the year on the PUP list then I would say yes, but remember we're going to see a lot more of D. Walker!! Which is fine with me,.
He broke out last year being able to produce decently for a #2 in ridiculous debacle that was the 49er offense. Morgan is a good player. Singltary/Raye is miraculously a rung lower than Nolan/Hostler as far as offensive game planning goes. Some players are good players when doing what they do best, I think we could all tell our previous coaching staff had no idea how to use their own players.

Originally posted by KennyBoiiii:
Ok, so I've never been much of a Morgan fan. I never thought he was very good, but after the news of hearing about Crabtree's 'injury', I've been getting hopeful and curious about Morgan's future with the Niners. I've always defended Crabs in the past, and I still hope he turns out good for us, but 3 straight years no preseason is bulls**t, we don't need a player with his work ethic. I know there's Morgan fans on the Zone, so what do you all think?

I should of used better words. I mean to say that he can not be relied on to perform well come the regular season. We cannot rely on him to be the #1 guy when he is never getting his chemistry worked on with the QB. He will likely once again be very rusty Week 1 against Seattle. I hope I am wrong though.

And I am not saying that he is faking his injury, just that he is somewhat injury prone.

A walking boot isn't an excuse for not playing apparently. I think some fans forget that teams have doctors to verify a players health before they put him on the PUP and put a boot on his foot.

Who's slow! Morgan? He ran like a 4.47. I mean that's not a 4.38 but it's not like he's slow, he's a long strider you can see that. If he shortend his steps he would improve, but he's other wise faster then crabtree and i think he be effective in the slot more then any other wr on the team!

Crabtree will fined another way next season to miss all of camp again!! lol
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Aug 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM ]
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

A walking boot isn't an excuse for not playing apparently. I think some fans forget that teams have doctors to verify a players health before they put him on the PUP and put a boot on his foot.

are those damn xrays lying again?
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Aug 5, 2011 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Who's slow! Morgan? He ran like a 4.47. I mean that's not a 4.38 but it's not like he's slow, he's a long strider you can see that. If he shortend his steps he would improve, but he's other wise faster then crabtree and i think he be effective in the slot more then any other wr on the team!

I don't think he could shorten his step. It's not really his fault, some people are just long striders. He's not ideal to play in the slot, a slot guy is usually someone who is shifty and elusive and doesn't necessarily have to be a burner.
Share 49ersWebzone