LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Forty Niners New Strategy?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Now when I look at JH's background and what he has been able to do at Stanford & San Diego you can see that he never really focused on (superstar) Athelete's meaning the fastest or the strongest players.

So now he wants to make sure that he is adding "FOOTBALL PLAYERS" and not just superstar fill-in's.

Ted Ginn would probably be the best athlete on the team, however we all know he is not the best football player on the team.

Football player = smart (do as you are coached/play within the system), tough, hungry guys that get it done!

Athlete = Speed, strength, physical ability is off the charts, more ME focused.

Am I right here?

I like this if this is the plan, Because I know he didn't have the best athletes at Stanford or San Diego.

Your thoughts?

Maybe because no superstar athlete wanted to commit to Stanford or SD. This is the NFL, and he can do some things with "football" players but he can't win Superbowls without superstar athletes.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
well let's see.... the Nolan guy's didn't work for Mike or Mike. the "football player" approach didn't work for the 2nd mike.

Originally posted by 5280High:
VD is the best athlete on the team...

Curling team??
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I could see that happening. Take the Bellichick approach. They never get a ton of big names, but always manage to find solid players.

Exactly, I don't think JH will do well around super star cry babies that have it all figured out. He wants guys that are gritty and hungry.

Take a real good look at what they are doing with the roster, and think of those Patriot superbowl rosters.

Wishful thinking, plus they always have a few names...do you think Alex or Kap are Tom Brady?

Juries out on kap, we all know Alex Smith is not...
Now when I look at JH's background and what he has been able to do at Stanford & San Diego you can see that he never really focused on (superstar) Athelete's meaning the fastest or the strongest players.

So now he wants to make sure that he is adding "FOOTBALL PLAYERS" and not just superstar fill-in's.

Ted Ginn would probably be the best athlete on the team, however we all know he is not the best football player on the team.

Football player = smart (do as you are coached/play within the system), tough, hungry guys that get it done!

Am I right here?

I like this if this is the plan, Because I know he didn't have the best athletes at Stanford or San Diego.

Your thoughts?

Maybe we just fill the roster with Steven Hawkin clones?

Championship!!!
Originally posted by krizay:
well let's see.... the Nolan guy's didn't work for Mike or Mike. the "football player" approach didn't work for the 2nd mike.

Those guys couldn't coach offense to save thier lives!
The current coaching staff has more experience.

Am I right here?

Your thoughts?

I agree. I think we are gonna like the way Harbaugh is gonna do thinga here!
I'm worried about Fangio as a D.C. Esp now that we got rid of like 4 starters.
I'm worried about Baalke as GM, because so far I'm not impressed.

I have no clue what we are doing, atl east last year with Sing, he drafted OLine to fix the "problem" with his power run strategy.

This year nothing makes sense... its bizaroworld.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I'm worried about Fangio as a D.C. Esp now that we got rid of like 4 starters.
I'm worried about Baalke as GM, because so far I'm not impressed.

I have no clue what we are doing, atl east last year with Sing, he drafted OLine to fix the "problem" with his power run strategy.

This year nothing makes sense... its bizaroworld.

I feel like you, however I just had to think "why would a team with all this capspace not go nuts in free agency", and I think JH is just not used to being around superstar players with big ego's. I think he wants to do it his way with second tier guys like he did at Stanford.

I can't fault him for that, hell it's what got him here.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Am I right here?

Your thoughts?

Maybe because no superstar athlete wanted to commit to Stanford or SD. This is the NFL, and he can do some things with "football" players but he can't win Superbowls without superstar athletes.

Interestingly, Bill Belichick has been winning games -- and a couple Superbowls -- mostly with players who have been notable mostly for *not* being superstar athletes. Tom Brady is a superstar, sure, but he's not an athlete (i.e., not athletic compared to most of his competition). But many Patriots starters were too [insert derogatory term here] for the teams that let them go.

Ironically, when Belichick finally assembled a team of superstar athletes, they went undefeated until they fell in the Superbowl to a team decidedly inferior in that way (i.e., a team of mostly no-names).

Arguably, Green Bay did the same last year, as a wild card team beating opponents who on paper had more superstar athletes, but did not operate as well as a team.

Not saying the Niners will win more than 4-5 games next season, but collecting a slew of superstar athletes may not make much difference. Just ask Jerry Jones...

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:
I think I know the plan is. Lose as many games as we can. Then draft Luck.

agree
we are doing nothing as usual. only big timer we signed and overly paid for in the last decade was clements.
Originally posted by fly15:

agree

i agree with both of you two. but my ? then is why waste a 2nd rounder on a qb.
Originally posted by fly15:

agree

DING! That's what it seems like. Hopefully I'm wrong

Good plan!
Share 49ersWebzone