There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick should see time with first team offense

• rum53
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
how can some claim that Kaep holds the ball too long, but blame the Oline when Alex does???

I'm not saying there are not instances that Alex gets sacked within a second (mainly for not recognizing a blitz/overload)...but most of Alex's sacks yesterday were from him not being confident in the first read, then freezing up and taking a sack...these decisions/hesitations put us in unfavorable down situations. I mean, even the rookie Daulton did a good job throwing the ball away everynow and then.

One play from yesterday sticks out in my mind. Cincy blitzed more players than we had blocking. Alex took the snap, proceeded to fake a toss to the RB. By the time he finished the play action fake and setup to pass, the defenders were on him for the sack. A quality NFL qb would have identified the blitz and have abandoned the play action fake to get the ball out as quickly as possible.
Originally posted by rum53:
One play from yesterday sticks out in my mind. Cincy blitzed more players than we had blocking. Alex took the snap, proceeded to fake a toss to the RB. By the time he finished the play action fake and setup to pass, the defenders were on him for the sack. A quality NFL qb would have identified the blitz and have abandoned the play action fake to get the ball out as quickly as possible.

Teams give you "house blitz" looks all the time....but most rarely ever bring the house. Reading blitzes accurately has a bot of guesswork involved. Sometimes you guess wrong. In any case, it's usually a safe bet that a team usually won't bring the house.
Originally posted by kray28:
Teams give you "house blitz" looks all the time....but most rarely ever bring the house. Reading blitzes accurately has a bot of guesswork involved. Sometimes you guess wrong. In any case, it's usually a safe bet that a team usually won't bring the house.

Alex does occasionally hold on to the ball too long, but he's still our best bet at QB. Throwing Kaep in, who looked nothing short of disastrous in the preseason would be a huge mistake. If/when we are out of playoff contention I'm all for playing him. Until then, Alex is the man.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zillabeast:
College scouting reports and practice issues are hit and miss. Does the possibility that he could potentially come into a real game situation and succeed scare you? Or are you simply not trying to get your hopes up?

Succeed? He isn't going to succeeded jack s**t right now. In preseason, he couldn't even succeed against 3rd stringers let a lone guys who are no longer in the league. No coached off-season work outs, short training camp, coming from a spread in WAC (not exactly the SEC) to a WCO in the NFL he is as raw as they come. As much as I dislike Smith he has played decent enough and really gives us the best chance to end the decade drought.
[ Edited by Apone on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:02 AM ]
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:

Should a QB turn his back to the defense when the defense shows a "house blitz"? I can see a qb doing that if the offense is in a max protect scenario, but niners were definitely not in a max-protection.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
Kaepernick should see time with first team offense...

in 2013
Originally posted by boast:

in 2013

or at Right Guard

in 2013

I started this thread during training camp but somehow it was reborn as a Smith - Kaepernick hate fest.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

in 2013

or at Right Guard

Seriously, if he could block for 1 second without holding or jumping before the snap he would be an improvement.... s**t I could do that.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:

in 2013

I started this thread during training camp but somehow it was reborn as a Smith - Kaepernick hate fest.

That's the way it is around here... can't even discuss the QB position.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I'm not saying there are not instances that Alex gets sacked within a second (mainly for not recognizing a blitz/overload)...but most of Alex's sacks yesterday were from him not being confident in the first read, then freezing up and taking a sack...these decisions/hesitations put us in unfavorable down situations. I mean, even the rookie Daulton did a good job throwing the ball away everynow and then.

I think that you are overstating it, but generally agree. IIRC, two of the sacks were clearly due to Smith's hesitation.

As for throwing it away, I have no doubt that if Smith did so, he'd be burned at the stake in NT - the roll out and throw it away play killed us in years past.
For as much heat as Alex takes he surely delivered yesterday in the clutch and when the 9ers needed it at the end of the game.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
For as much heat as Alex takes he surely delivered yesterday in the clutch and when the 9ers needed it at the end of the game.

That's fine and great and dandy and all. Why the hell wait until the game is on the line to turn it on though? What he heck ever happened to putting teams away by halftime and letting the defense handle the rest? There is no such thing as "aggressive Alex Smith." With him, it's always going to be a festival of errors until the very end, and it doesn't have to be that way! Not with guys like Davis and Walker, and now Kendall Hunter.

A quarterback can't just always sit there and rely on the line to put up a stone wall. An NFL quarterback needs to have situational awareness and make plays on his own to extend the play. Look at Rodgers and Big Ben and hell, even David Garrard. Standing there like a damn idiot while the world collapses around you is a fastpass to a three-and-out.

The boy generates his own sacks by not using his athelticism. At least he's holding onto the ball so far though. Must be from all the practice he's had.
People keep looking for reasons or things to blame Alex Smith for. As much as I believe he is not the long term Qb for the Niners, he is the best option right now.
He has been playing ok, the play calling asks him to complete short throws, so he is completing short throws, the only long pass plays were a huge completion to VD and a Crabtree TD that got called back (it may have not been that long but he put the ball where only C called get it).
If the Oline was playing decently and he was doing bone headed plays I would want him benched, but he is not. The only worry I have right now is that with the pounding he is taking, he long last.
Kaep needs to sit until he shaves off that unnatural looking chin hair or trim it better.