There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Baalke could be right

Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
Can Kevin Mawae still play? I know he didnt last year, but at this time, we need some patch-work done on this O-Line

We already tried to get him to come last year, and he said no. He is retired and not coming back.
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by elguapo:
With our free agent losses, they are thinking very logically and i agree with their moves or lack of moves so far.

Franklin leaves and ICE replaces him so Ray Mac moves to DE= a little worse against the run...a few yards per game but better pass rush for sure

TKO leaves and bowman replaces him= not much of a drop off in run or pass coverage, and bowman has tons of speed (what did he have 17 tackles in the arizona game?)

Lawson leaves and replaced by Aldon Smith/Brooks= a little worse against the run but better against the pass

Goldson...if he leaves Reggie smith takes over and Mays starts opposite him= save a few million on the cap, lose a few tackles and maybe 3 or so int's (but then again Smith might perform well and so may Mays)

These losses total to our team Defense being worse against the run but better against the pass which is more important these days and is where our team has struggled for the past 5 years. This is what we all wanted to become better against the pass and for that to happen, we need 1 more cb for sure but our improved pass rush might help out clements (if he stays) and compamy.

What do you think about this line of reasoning?

I think so far as a unit on D, we lost some run D but gained pass rush.....and of we actually get a cb like cromartie or joseph our pass d will excell.

How could this be a good move, when all the replacement players that you mentioned are second stringers in a bad team? These guys wouldn't even be in the final roster of a serious contender.

How could this not be a good move....2nd stringer or not they are still better at rushing the passer than their first string counterpart....that much is obvious

Now Bass is gone, how do you justify that? That makes it, Bass, Spikes, Franklin,Lawson and probably more to come. This your building through the draft. Welcome to the world of Yorks as the owners.

I justify that b/c he was an average center at best. Just because he is our only true center doesnt mean we had to keep him or that he is magically good?????

That is why we let him walk. The rookie from stanford may be better as a rookie than Baas was in 2010. or we may get a better replacement. Remember baas struggled in pass and run blocking.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I can't see the value in really any of our moves so far.

1. We draft players with "potential" or "projects", so odds are (especially this year) none of the rookies will make an immediate impact.

2. We say "signing our own players" is a priority, but it looks like we will lose 2-3 at least of our defensive starters, and in a year with a limited offseason will have young guys or new vets trying to learn a new system and roles.

3. We so far have both done and said that we won't be "major players" in FA. So, not only were we average in talent at best last year, but we are losing players and apparently have no plans to upgrades or replace them with the best available talent.

So, in the end, we have rookies unlikely to help anytime soon, we are losing starters, and we aren't bringing in any upgraded talent or even talent equal to what we lost.

I fail to see the logic.

i explained the logic well. we get worse in one area of the D run defense and better in another area of the D pass D.....the more important area of the defense.

we better get a dam cb

I don't see the "logic" at all. We are HOPING backups can take over starter roles, and you're guessing that it will be a push because of improved pass D vs worse run D.

My guess is we are just worse period. None of the guys stepping in are upgrades, or even equivalents to who they are replacing. Now with Baas gone as well, it's obvious our "resign our own guys" strategy is failing.

So, no impact from draft picks, NOT resigning our own guys, and NOT bringing in additional talent.

I see no logic there. Just wishful thinking at best that a new coach + less talent, somehow makes us a better team.

Unless we end up making some great FA pickups later as guys are cut and/or various solid-good players are able to be acquired after the initial frenzy, we are moving backwards. We have said (and so far shown) we aren't making a point to go after FA who are in demand and we can't even keep our own decent players from leaving.

Not a good sign early on.
They are thinking logically in terms of putting profits first. They don't want to spend on players....which is plain to see.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
They are thinking logically in terms of putting profits first. They don't want to spend on players....which is plain to see.

Maybe they learned their lesson from Jonas Jennings and Nate Clements.

Oh... an Dan Snyder.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
I see no logic here. I see an incompetent front office getting out-maneuvered. How could they possibly let David Baas get away? He wanted to come back. They have the cap room to sign him. He was their single most important FA on offense. Their stated objective was to "resign our own." And they let the Giants swoop in and steal him? Was somebody asleep at the wheel? There's no logic or strategic thinking to that. Epic fail.
Originally posted by Lifer:
I see no logic here. I see an incompetent front office getting out-maneuvered. How could they possibly let David Baas get away? He wanted to come back. They have the cap room to sign him. He was their single most important FA on offense. Their stated objective was to "resign our own." And they let the Giants swoop in and steal him? Was somebody asleep at the wheel? There's no logic or strategic thinking to that. Epic fail.

i see great logic here. We resigned alex smith we could of resigned baas. The front office OBVIOUSLY did not feel he was worth the money and the logic here is very good you know why????

Newsflash, Baas did not do well last year at center, in fact he was average at best. so if you really wanted an average center, im glad harbaugh and co did not agree with you there, because i dont know about you, but im sick of having a bad OL that makes our qbs and wrs look worse then they are.

Its perfectly logical to let an average player leave for free agency
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Best analysis yet, and I agree 100%

I think this is piss.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

You can reach a conclusion without know the parameters of the deal? That's impressive.
we better get a good cb rg or C and i will be a lot happier about these losses.

we all know bowman and aldon smith will be solid at worst so i think we are ok but our coaches knew that pass d was a need and all we have to show for it is a third rounder.

One cb wont make us automatically contenders but you know what if we get nnamdi i think we are division winners for years b/c our biggest weakness became a strenght to shut down HALF the field. So at least we will be in the playoffs and could make some noise with willis J smith vernon gore.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran

i see great logic here. We resigned alex smith we could of resigned baas. The front office OBVIOUSLY did not feel he was worth the money and the logic here is very good you know why????

Newsflash, Baas did not do well last year at center, in fact he was average at best. so if you really wanted an average center, im glad harbaugh and co did not agree with you there, because i dont know about you, but im sick of having a bad OL that makes our qbs and wrs look worse then they are.

Not only was Baas above average last year, he was doing it with little or no training camp or preparation. Baas will go to the pro bowl with the Giants. Book it. Not only did we lose a good player on the way up, we also undercut our o-line chemistry and continuity AGAIN. Now the most important unit on offense has to start over AGAIN, and we've got noone to replace Baas with. Kilgore? The rookie from Stanford? Snyder? All of those guys are a big step down from Baas. Is this supposed to be addition by subtraction? If their goal is to save money, then this move makes sense. But if the goal is to make the team better... newsflash: they just blew it.
With our free agent losses, they are thinking very logically and i agree with their moves or lack of moves so far.

Franklin leaves and ICE replaces him so Ray Mac moves to DE= a little worse against the run...a few yards per game but better pass rush for sure

TKO leaves and bowman replaces him= not much of a drop off in run or pass coverage, and bowman has tons of speed (what did he have 17 tackles in the arizona game?)

Lawson leaves and replaced by Aldon Smith/Brooks= a little worse against the run but better against the pass

Goldson...if he leaves Reggie smith takes over and Mays starts opposite him= save a few million on the cap, lose a few tackles and maybe 3 or so int's (but then again Smith might perform well and so may Mays)

These losses total to our team Defense being worse against the run but better against the pass which is more important these days and is where our team has struggled for the past 5 years. This is what we all wanted to become better against the pass and for that to happen, we need 1 more cb for sure but our improved pass rush might help out clements (if he stays) and compamy.

I think so far as a unit on D, we lost some run D but gained pass rush.....and of we actually get a cb like cromartie or joseph our pass d will excell.

McDonald was on the field for most passing downs last year, so putting him on the field for rushing downs will only weaken the run defense and does nothing to improve the pass defense. Unless you expect McDonald to step up his play this year.

Bowman is learning but Spikes was the better player by far. Bowman's biggest weakness last year was pass coverage, where he just looked lost at times. You have to assume he's taking a huge step forward this year if you think the drop off from TKO to Bowman is negligible.

Lawson came off the field on most passing downs and Brooks went in, so (like the situation with McDonald) losing Lawson does more to damage the run defense than it does to help the pass defense.

Goldson can walk. We get worse from a talent perspective but the Raiders are known for throwing stupid money at average players. No reason to outbid them.

So I don't buy the logic that our moves help our pass defense. Not when most of these guys were already playing the passing downs last year.

But we're only 2 days into FA and the majority of names are still available, so I see no reason to panic just yet. We could still get a Kelly Gregg at NT or a Weddle/Landry at safety. Not to mention the CB's out there.

I don't think we've really seen the plan yet.

Not only was Baas above average last year, he was doing it with little or no training camp or preparation. Baas will go to the pro bowl with the Giants. Book it. Not only did we lose a good player on the way up, we also undercut our o-line chemistry and continuity AGAIN. Now the most important unit on offense has to start over AGAIN, and we've got noone to replace Baas with. Kilgore? The rookie from Stanford? Snyder? All of those guys are a big step down from Baas. Is this supposed to be addition by subtraction? If their goal is to save money, then this move makes sense. But if the goal is to make the team better... newsflash: they just blew it.

With the new CBA, there is no such thing as saving money. All teams have to spend approximately the same amount in any league year, and the opportunity for funny money antics as under the last CBA is pretty much gone. The only control you have is what kind of long-term commitments you make, and how that affects your cap room in out years. So in that respect it's a very level playing field (unlike when DeBartolo ran the show and could spend like there was no tomorrow...which in fact turned out to be the case).

How could this be a good move, when all the replacement players that you mentioned are second stringers in a bad team? These guys wouldn't even be in the final roster of a serious contender.

How could this not be a good move....2nd stringer or not they are still better at rushing the passer than their first string counterpart....that much is obvious

Now Bass is gone, how do you justify that? That makes it, Bass, Spikes, Franklin,Lawson and probably more to come. This your building through the draft. Welcome to the world of Yorks as the owners.

I justify that b/c he was an average center at best. Just because he is our only true center doesnt mean we had to keep him or that he is magically good?????

That is why we let him walk. The rookie from stanford may be better as a rookie than Baas was in 2010. or we may get a better replacement. Remember baas struggled in pass and run blocking.

Lol, I thought Bass was a priority based on Baalke's statements. Plus wasn't the game plan to keep our own players and not be a big player on free agent market? We have let some of our best players so far. We are a team with eight straight losing season. We can't afford this kind of frugal approach to a brand new season with a promising young coach. I can understand being a fan and loving your team, but we can't be blind about whats happening. Back to York senior days.