LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Baalke could be right

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by brooklyn49er:
Two years ago Goldson was doing great, and really had a productive season. This past year though he went backwards, we have no defense to defend passes down the middle, Goldson got burned a lot last year. I guess they have high expectations but I have a feeling were going to overpay for him.

Goldson had ONE good game his entire career thus far. Take out that one game, he hasn't been very good, not even solid. He doesn't cover well, he doesn't tackle well. Of course, that could have been a product of bad coaching during his time with the 49ers, much like the rest of the team.

I don't think Goldson is all that great, but in fairness our pass rush has been garbage for some years now. Doesn't matter if we have Nnamdi and Revis back there, until we can get pressure on the QB, our DB's are going to get burned.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
With our free agent losses, they are thinking very logically and i agree with their moves or lack of moves so far.

Franklin leaves and ICE replaces him so Ray Mac moves to DE= a little worse against the run...a few yards per game but better pass rush for sure

TKO leaves and bowman replaces him= not much of a drop off in run or pass coverage, and bowman has tons of speed (what did he have 17 tackles in the arizona game?)

Lawson leaves and replaced by Aldon Smith/Brooks= a little worse against the run but better against the pass

Goldson...if he leaves Reggie smith takes over and Mays starts opposite him= save a few million on the cap, lose a few tackles and maybe 3 or so int's (but then again Smith might perform well and so may Mays)

These losses total to our team Defense being worse against the run but better against the pass which is more important these days and is where our team has struggled for the past 5 years. This is what we all wanted to become better against the pass and for that to happen, we need 1 more cb for sure but our improved pass rush might help out clements (if he stays) and compamy.

What do you think about this line of reasoning?

I think so far as a unit on D, we lost some run D but gained pass rush.....and of we actually get a cb like cromartie or joseph our pass d will excell.

How could this be a good move, when all the replacement players that you mentioned are second stringers in a bad team? These guys wouldn't even be in the final roster of a serious contender.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
after friday we will have a clear vision on what this team is doing...We need to fix this d in the worst way
I can't see the value in really any of our moves so far.

1. We draft players with "potential" or "projects", so odds are (especially this year) none of the rookies will make an immediate impact.

2. We say "signing our own players" is a priority, but it looks like we will lose 2-3 at least of our defensive starters, and in a year with a limited offseason will have young guys or new vets trying to learn a new system and roles.

3. We so far have both done and said that we won't be "major players" in FA. So, not only were we average in talent at best last year, but we are losing players and apparently have no plans to upgrades or replace them with the best available talent.

So, in the end, we have rookies unlikely to help anytime soon, we are losing starters, and we aren't bringing in any upgraded talent or even talent equal to what we lost.

I fail to see the logic.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I can't see the value in really any of our moves so far.

1. We draft players with "potential" or "projects", so odds are (especially this year) none of the rookies will make an immediate impact.

2. We say "signing our own players" is a priority, but it looks like we will lose 2-3 at least of our defensive starters, and in a year with a limited offseason will have young guys or new vets trying to learn a new system and roles.

3. We so far have both done and said that we won't be "major players" in FA. So, not only were we average in talent at best last year, but we are losing players and apparently have no plans to upgrades or replace them with the best available talent.

So, in the end, we have rookies unlikely to help anytime soon, we are losing starters, and we aren't bringing in any upgraded talent or even talent equal to what we lost.

I fail to see the logic.

Aldon Smith will make a def imediate impact bro
I am a little concerned that we havent heard anything on the Baas front, we need him locked up and cannot afford to let him slip away. Why is everyone talking like Lawson is a sure-fire goner, he hasnt agreed to terms anywhere else if Im correct?

Any news on Nate restructuring? Cause if he wasnt Id assume he would have been notified of his imminent release.
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
I am a little concerned that we havent heard anything on the Baas front, we need him locked up and cannot afford to let him slip away. Why is everyone talking like Lawson is a sure-fire goner, he hasnt agreed to terms anywhere else if Im correct?

Any news on Nate restructuring? Cause if he wasnt Id assume he would have been notified of his imminent release.

Bc someone's going to offer him a huge contract, and we probably won't match. Haven't heard any specifics tho.

[ Edited by cwilson830 on Jul 27, 2011 at 06:58:57 ]
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:

Best advice is to just sit back and see what unfolds over these days.

Save the concern for when we have a clearer picture.
f**k we just lost david baas to the giants
OMG Baas to the Giants, we are royally f**ked at centre now

Originally posted by Ajanke:

Sonofa! link?
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by Ajanke:

Sonofa! link?

Free agency forum
Yea...real f**king logically. Pretty big holes on the OL. Overpaying for a guy who can't cover for s**t and letting two LBs go without having any proven replacements.

[ Edited by Byisgod on Jul 27, 2011 at 07:05:28 ]
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Yea...real f**king logically. Pretty big holes on the OL. Overpaying for a guy who can't cover for s**t and letting two LBs go without having any proven replacements.

We must be loadin up to sign one of the big fish, or trade for someone big, because there is no logic behind letting your own jkey FAs walk, and thus far not making any deals with other FAs, thats just my wishful thinking
losing David Baas is not thinking logically
Share 49ersWebzone