LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

Keep Manny Lawson or part ways?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Keep Manny Lawson or part ways?

MM really doubted Lawson will be back next year, during one of his chats
I dunno, I like him. He's been good at everything but the most iimportant thing, pass rushing. He's shown some glimpses of pass-rushing ability, but overall has been a let-down in that regard.

That said, with this year in particular, I think he should stay. I mean, he has high ability, effort, and attitude, and maybe he'll flourish under new tutelage, but I also think the requirement to spend 99% of the cap, the new rookie pay limits, and the expanded roster mean we should keep as much talent as we can. We'll run an extra guy deep at a handful of positions and I'm confident OLB will be one of them.

So long as the price is right, I'd like him to stay.
Has he lived up to the billing, no. But if we do not find a serious upgrade, I want him back. He is not bad or hurting the team. He just isnt a pro-bowl LB. He drops in coverage well though which is something the secondary cannot do.
As every1 else said he is good in coverage and qb pressure.... Look at GB trying to find a counter part for Mathews(sp?) and even said its critical they find someone to bring the heat besides him..
Manny may have a few issues with management of the past for not offering him a long-term contract.... but by all accounts, he really seems to love his teammates and SF.

So... maybe just maybe he will accept a hometown discount to stay. He has been living off the remains of his rookie contract. Probably under a mil a year, if I recall correctly. Maybe he will be fine with taking a discount... 4 years, 5 mil per.... give him a friendly upfront signing bonus.

Probably wishful thinking...
[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 22, 2011 at 6:55 AM ]
Please name two 3-4 teams that have more than one elite passrusher. I think having a very versitle OLB like Lawson is an advantage. If Aldon becomes a legit passrusher, Lawson's stats will go up. As some have pointed out, when teams are busy double teaming the Smiths, Lawson will either be free to run through RBs and TEs or contain the edge and cover. Lawson gives us options in the coverage scheme. If you only have two guys that move forward, there is a problem.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:51 AM ]
... and I just can't say this enough (apparently, lol)...

Unless you have a DeMarcus Ware that can quickly brute his way through an OT? You have to get the opposing QB with scheme. You have to rattle him a little UP THE GUT to get the QB to evacuate his cozy little pocket. We have guys that can blaze around the edge. We need to help Justin by having another DL that can collapse/penetrate the interior QB pocket... and this will better force the QB to stray right into the outside rush.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Manny may have a few issues with management of the past for not offering him a long-term contract.... but by all accounts, he really seems to love his teammates and SF.

So... maybe just maybe he will accept a hometown discount to stay. He has been living off the remains of his rookie contract. Probably under a mil a year, if I recall correctly. Maybe he will be fine with taking a discount... 4 years, 5 mil per.... give him a friendly upfront signing bonus.

I really wish one of the Matts would contact Lawson just to see where his head is at. I know the team stance, but I'm curious if/how bitter Lawson is about being taken out of the line up on 3rd downs. I'm also curious how the new coaching staff (Fangio) view his skill set.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I really wish one of the Matts would contact Lawson just to see where his head is at. I know the team stance, but I'm curious if/how bitter Lawson is about being taken out of the line up on 3rd downs. I'm also curious how the new coaching staff (Fangio) view his skill set.

Another thing... Every bit I have read about Manny's "contract demands" (in terms of amount) was more speculative as opposed to a straight from the horse's mouth quote.
The problem is this current set of olb's just aren't skilled pass rushers. You need a 1st move, a counter move, spin move, swim, or straight up power rush. Or some combination of moves. Laboy has a nice speed rush, and Brooks is still learning. Parys and Manny have nothing in terms of pass rushing ability. No real 1st move, no counter moves.

Yeah, there is a lot to consider here but in the end, it's whether or not he is going to be a good fit and become the playmaker we have been lacking at the OLB for a long time. The same can be said for everyone on this team. Granted, a great OC or DC will tailor their schemes to match thei current players strengths (within the system) but make no mistake about it, they both will be acquiring and developing players who fit perfectly into the WCO & 3-4 defense. Teams need role-players too but unfortunately for Manny, his primary skill set does not match a 3-4 defense; at least not at the OLB position. I've been saying for a long time that Manny is a solid player (not a "play-maker") but a good player who's skill set would be best served on a 4-3 team esp. a Tampa 2 where he could lose some weight and regain his speed.

SAM/WILL:
Coverage = a non-issue (the secondary will be responsible for this now); will just drop back in zones for a plit second or two to clog passing lanes (get INT's) and disguise blitzes on the other side
Sealing the edge = most LBers, even on our team, are very good at this not named Haralson (although he isn't as poor as ppl think)
Pass rushing = Critical, playmaking position. The position the oppostion game-plans around. Having one is good; having two is ideal but all four LBers will now be rushing.
Play-recognition = given the OLB's have been abused on screen passes and typically run themselves right out of plays (including RB's running to where they should have been), I'd say this is a big issue for concentration for 2011.

I figured Lawson would leave on his own and it appears both MM & MB agree. But who knows! Either way, as a fan of the 49ers, if he stays, I hope Fangio can get the playmaker out of him or he becomes a great role-player. If h leaves, I'll be pulling hard for Aldon Smith & Brooks, LaBoy (if resigned), Haralson, et al.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
they both will be acquiring and developing players who fit perfectly into the WCO & 3-4 defense.

As I read the previous articles of Fangio (and Harbaugh), I was always left with the sense that they work the scheme around the players strengths. Not fit players into a rigid scheme.

Maybe I am just not understanding you here though.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Manny's great but not that good at what he was drafted for. He was supposed to be a great pass rusher and weak in coverage; but, has turned out to be better in coverage than getting after the QB.

I think we let him walk due to $$$ and a greater need for QB pressure/sacks from the OLB position than an OLB that drops into coverage well...

Problem is; the 49ers do not have anybody to do what he does well. Allowing him to walk will leave an empty spot in the quiver of options.

This is a good point. The gamble is that our new OLB will get to the QB before we can be burned by this.
they both will be acquiring and developing players who fit perfectly into the WCO & 3-4 defense.

As I read the previous articles of Fangio (and Harbaugh), I was always left with the sense that they work the scheme around the players strengths. Not fit players into a rigid scheme.

Maybe I am just not understanding you here though.

No, we're on the same page. Unlike Nolan/Singletary, Harbaugh/Fangio will first employ the base WCO & their 3-4 defense during the "transiiton phase." Both systems are designed to have flexibility within their schemes as well BUT make no mistake about it, they will still be searching for, acquiring and developing players within these systems at the key playmaking positions. For the WCO, naturally, that will be at the QB, WR & RB positions (and o-line) and for the defense, no question (see, Aldon Smith) that will be both the SAM/WILL positions, NT, and at least one playmaker at CB & Safety (we already have the ILBers).
Yeah, there is a lot to consider here but in the end, it's whether or not he is going to be a good fit and become the playmaker we have been lacking at the OLB for a long time. The same can be said for everyone on this team. Granted, a great OC or DC will tailor their schemes to match thei current players strengths (within the system) but make no mistake about it, they both will be acquiring and developing players who fit perfectly into the WCO & 3-4 defense. Teams need role-players too but unfortunately for Manny, his primary skill set does not match a 3-4 defense; at least not at the OLB position. I've been saying for a long time that Manny is a solid player (not a "play-maker") but a good player who's skill set would be best served on a 4-3 team esp. a Tampa 2 where he could lose some weight and regain his speed.

SAM/WILL:
Coverage = a non-issue (the secondary will be responsible for this now); will just drop back in zones for a plit second or two to clog passing lanes (get INT's) and disguise blitzes on the other side
Sealing the edge = most LBers, even on our team, are very good at this not named Haralson (although he isn't as poor as ppl think)
Pass rushing = Critical, playmaking position. The position the oppostion game-plans around. Having one is good; having two is ideal but all four LBers will now be rushing.
Play-recognition = given the OLB's have been abused on screen passes and typically run themselves right out of plays (including RB's running to where they should have been), I'd say this is a big issue for concentration for 2011.

I figured Lawson would leave on his own and it appears both MM & MB agree. But who knows! Either way, as a fan of the 49ers, if he stays, I hope Fangio can get the playmaker out of him or he becomes a great role-player. If h leaves, I'll be pulling hard for Aldon Smith & Brooks, LaBoy (if resigned), Haralson, et al.

I agree. Manny is not a big "play-maker", but he does consistently make plays. He does occationally make plays that nobody else on the defense not name Willis could make. How many times did you see him use his big body to disrupt a passing lane or that shoe string grab or finger tip interception? Those were plays directly related to his size and speed. The guy has blocked punts/field goals and made interceptions probably 10 feet in the air. All that however is just an added bonus of his complete shutdown of the run game. I guess my personal feeling is that we will regress significantly if he leaves and thats the last I'll say about it.

P.S. Obviously, this all depends on how much money he wants. I think he is worth more than Goldson.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone