There are 159 users in the forums

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hypothetically speaking, I could be the 49ers QB in 2012.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Hypothetically speaking, I could be the 49ers QB in 2012.

You could be probably lead us to the same number of wins as Alex can.
First of all, we need to see it to believe it. Smith will be over and done with after this season. Its sad to talk this way about such a good guy, but its the NFL not some kind of chariy for the weak and pathetic. The only way Smith will ever dominate will be in the CFL or maybe NFL Europe. I wouldnt mind Smith as our #2, he'd be a great backup judging by the way he's been organizing team practices on the field and in the classroom.
I've read this book every year for the last 5 years. The ending is still the same.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I've read this book every year for the last 5 years. The ending is still the same.

Insanity is doing the same thing over & over again, but expecting different results.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
When has Alex Smith ever had a "great" year??? history will repeat itself and Alex will struggle once again. He has shown time and time again that he does not have what it takes to be great in this league. He is barely mediocre... For a number one overall draft pick that supposed to be our franchise guy, Alex Smith has proven he is a bust.

I see this web zone hoping that he will finally get it and turn things around year after year, saying this is his breakout year... He has a good head coach now, he has the same coordinator for two consecutive years... Blah blah blah... Wake up people! It's Alex Smith we're talking about! This will be his 7th year and he hasn't done squat!! Matt maiocco said it best in his recent article, the only reason Alex Smith is still hanging around is because of this damn lockout.

There are two reasons not to go with you on your assumptions: 1) We see things differently as the OCs, HCs, systems, injuries, and inept line and WRs actually are factors in Smith's failure; 2) Giving up is not a good plan for next year if you are a fan. I would rather hope for the best and will not be in dispair if it doesn't happen.

Smith is hanging around because Harbaugh doesn't want to start a rookie or David Carr, not because of the lockout. FAs are out there but there is no gaurantee that they are better than Smith and why not do both--keep Smith and bring in a good FA? Your negativity leads no where except change for the sake of change...not a plan for improvement.

Keep thinking that.

The only reason why Alex is still here is because of the lockout. That is the ONLY reason.

To some, Alex will never be at fault for his poor play. It will always be someone else's fault.

He is the only QB in NFL history to have a bad line, bad coaching, bad team, etc.

Who ARE these strawmen you refer to?

I've never heard anyone here place ZERO blame on Smith. I have seen people place ALL the blame on him, however.

Reality is somewhere in the middle: Smith has not performed as he should have. Some of that is due to outside factors, while some of it is his fault.

Example:

JayBee: Alex has some serious issues with his accuracy
Alex supporter: Well, his receivers suck and he had the worst HC in league history.

It's so awesome how you're unable to see the people who absolve him of bad play yet are able to see those who blame everything wrong with the team on him.

This is a losing battle anyways, I'm not going to namedrop and get myself banned. I'll gracefully bow out of this argument.
  • dj43
No it isn't. Nolan and Sing and their incompetent band of coaches are gone. THAT is what was here for 5 years with very little change.

If that is your position, then why waste the time and money to hire Harbaugh. If it was all about the quarterback, then Harbaugh is a waste. He won't be able to do any more with Kaep than Nolan/Sing did with Troy, Alex, Carr, Rattay, JTO, and friends.
He wont he's a garbage that will never amount to anything

STOP MAKING NEW THREATS ABOUT THIS WEAK A$$ QB

this has gotten passed the annoying level a loooooooooooooong time ago

PLEASE JUST LET IT GO!!!!

[ Edited by Tru2RedNGold25 on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
No it isn't. Nolan and Sing and their incompetent band of coaches are gone. THAT is what was here for 5 years with very little change.

If that is your position, then why waste the time and money to hire Harbaugh. If it was all about the quarterback, then Harbaugh is a waste. He won't be able to do any more with Kaep than Nolan/Sing did with Troy, Alex, Carr, Rattay, JTO, and friends.

Question...

During Nolan and Sing's reign....All the QB's that we have seen on this roster over 6 years. Were any of them quality players?

You can crap on Nolan and Sing as much as you want...but the QB's that were either signed, traded for or drafted have all been sub par. Bad coaching has nothing to do with it. If you're a poor QB, you're a poor QB.

Alex supporter: Well, his receivers suck and he had the worst HC in league history.

It's so awesome how you're unable to see the people who absolve him of bad play yet are able to see those who blame everything wrong with the team on him.

This is a losing battle anyways, I'm not going to namedrop and get myself banned. I'll gracefully bow out of this argument.

Reality:

JayBee: Alex has some serious issues with his accuracy.
Response: True, he could have been more accurate. However, his receivers and coaches share some blame for poor planning and poor execution. For example, having a well thrown pass bounce off of your hands is inexcusable.

Your entire argument is a construct of your own imagination: NO ONE absolves him 100%.

All we can really hope for at this point is Alex having a decent enough season to lead us to the playoffs and help Kaepernick along the way. Anything more and you're pretty much asking to be disappointed.

But hey...who knows.
u obviously extend smith for atleast a year or two or franchise him to see if he can repeat his success and if he does and kaepernick looks like hes gonna be ready then u can trade smith and clean up big time or trade kaep if u think smith is better, smith is not that old so we would be fine either way. its a great problem to have lol
Originally posted by dj43:

Question...

During Nolan and Sing's reign....All the QB's that we have seen on this roster over 6 years. Were any of them quality players?

You can crap on Nolan and Sing as much as you want...but the QB's that were either signed, traded for or drafted have all been sub par. Bad coaching has nothing to do with it. If you're a poor QB, you're a poor QB.

Question to you...

Explain the case of Steve Young? He was God-awful until he had a good coach and better talent around him, why do you think that was?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
When has Alex Smith ever had a "great" year??? history will repeat itself and Alex will struggle once again. He has shown time and time again that he does not have what it takes to be great in this league. He is barely mediocre... For a number one overall draft pick that supposed to be our franchise guy, Alex Smith has proven he is a bust.

I see this web zone hoping that he will finally get it and turn things around year after year, saying this is his breakout year... He has a good head coach now, he has the same coordinator for two consecutive years... Blah blah blah... Wake up people! It's Alex Smith we're talking about! This will be his 7th year and he hasn't done squat!! Matt maiocco said it best in his recent article, the only reason Alex Smith is still hanging around is because of this damn lockout.

There are two reasons not to go with you on your assumptions: 1) We see things differently as the OCs, HCs, systems, injuries, and inept line and WRs actually are factors in Smith's failure; 2) Giving up is not a good plan for next year if you are a fan. I would rather hope for the best and will not be in dispair if it doesn't happen.

Smith is hanging around because Harbaugh doesn't want to start a rookie or David Carr, not because of the lockout. FAs are out there but there is no gaurantee that they are better than Smith and why not do both--keep Smith and bring in a good FA? Your negativity leads no where except change for the sake of change...not a plan for improvement.

Keep thinking that.

The only reason why Alex is still here is because of the lockout. That is the ONLY reason.

To some, Alex will never be at fault for his poor play. It will always be someone else's fault.

He is the only QB in NFL history to have a bad line, bad coaching, bad team, etc.

Who ARE these strawmen you refer to?

I've never heard anyone here place ZERO blame on Smith. I have seen people place ALL the blame on him, however.

Reality is somewhere in the middle: Smith has not performed as he should have. Some of that is due to outside factors, while some of it is his fault.

Example:

HAHA!!! refuting the straw-man argument with another straw-man argument. That is classic...
back to the OP

Smith plays well, I think you sign him before the year is over to a 2 year extension. That way he can still be cut or smoothly transition to Kap in the event that Kap blossoms. At some point if Smith goes all-world (not incredibly likely) then you can lock him up for a longer deal sometime in year 3.

I honestly don't think this is going to happen. I see Smith improving this year to a respectable level, and being snagged by some other team next year who offers more. Of course this is the 49ers so there is always a chance that the season goes down in flames.
Share 49ersWebzone