There are 166 users in the forums

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigmike55:
When has Alex Smith ever had a "great" year??? history will repeat itself and Alex will struggle once again. He has shown time and time again that he does not have what it takes to be great in this league. He is barely mediocre... For a number one overall draft pick that supposed to be our franchise guy, Alex Smith has proven he is a bust.

I see this web zone hoping that he will finally get it and turn things around year after year, saying this is his breakout year... He has a good head coach now, he has the same coordinator for two consecutive years... Blah blah blah... Wake up people! It's Alex Smith we're talking about! This will be his 7th year and he hasn't done squat!! Matt maiocco said it best in his recent article, the only reason Alex Smith is still hanging around is because of this damn lockout.

There are two reasons not to go with you on your assumptions: 1) We see things differently as the OCs, HCs, systems, injuries, and inept line and WRs actually are factors in Smith's failure; 2) Giving up is not a good plan for next year if you are a fan. I would rather hope for the best and will not be in dispair if it doesn't happen.

Smith is hanging around because Harbaugh doesn't want to start a rookie or David Carr, not because of the lockout. FAs are out there but there is no gaurantee that they are better than Smith and why not do both--keep Smith and bring in a good FA? Your negativity leads no where except change for the sake of change...not a plan for improvement.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:52 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
If this unlikely hypothetical scenario came true, we should trade Alex Smith. Derek Anderson had a great year in Cleveland and he regressed. Alex Smith may have some decent years ahead of him but the chances of him becoming a franchise QB who can lead his team to the playoffs year in and year out are ridiculously small. In fact, if that came true we should be discussing whether Mark Wahlberg or Shia Labeouf should star in the movie about his miraculous career.

For the record, Derek Anderson had 5 good games in Cleveland, not a full season. By the end of that year, fans were crying for him to be benched. Just saying...
Originally posted by classyfan49:
I think what probably bothers some people is that this "fast-forward to 2012" hypothetical discussion predicated on Alex Smith having a great 2011 season seems rather implausible, given his inconsistent, mediocre play up until now.

I am more curious than ever to see how things play out and will hope for the best, but once again I'm reminded of Lions fans who would often think along the lines of:

"Sure, let's get Joey Harrington one more receiver, or one more stout guy on the OL, or a QB guru to coach him up, and he'll blossom! This is the year he reaches his potential!"
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by classyfan49:
I think what probably bothers some people is that this "fast-forward to 2012" hypothetical discussion predicated on Alex Smith having a great 2011 season seems rather implausible, given his inconsistent, mediocre play up until now.

I am more curious than ever to see how things play out and will hope for the best, but once again I'm reminded of Lions fans who would often think along the lines of:

"Sure, let's get Joey Harrington one more receiver, or one more stout guy on the OL, or a QB guru to coach him up, and he'll blossom! This is the year he reaches his potential!"

Couldn't have said it better.
If Alex has a great 2011, it will ruin Christmas for Sus.

not going to happen just rest you minds ! 6 years of uslessness not even Bill Walsh can make him play better !
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
If he has a solid year, sign him to a multiyear extension. An easy decision. Having a solid starting QB and a 2nd round backup is probably the best problem you can have on a football team.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
When has Alex Smith ever had a "great" year??? history will repeat itself and Alex will struggle once again. He has shown time and time again that he does not have what it takes to be great in this league. He is barely mediocre... For a number one overall draft pick that supposed to be our franchise guy, Alex Smith has proven he is a bust.

I see this web zone hoping that he will finally get it and turn things around year after year, saying this is his breakout year... He has a good head coach now, he has the same coordinator for two consecutive years... Blah blah blah... Wake up people! It's Alex Smith we're talking about! This will be his 7th year and he hasn't done squat!! Matt maiocco said it best in his recent article, the only reason Alex Smith is still hanging around is because of this damn lockout.

There are two reasons not to go with you on your assumptions: 1) We see things differently as the OCs, HCs, systems, injuries, and inept line and WRs actually are factors in Smith's failure; 2) Giving up is not a good plan for next year if you are a fan. I would rather hope for the best and will not be in dispair if it doesn't happen.

Smith is hanging around because Harbaugh doesn't want to start a rookie or David Carr, not because of the lockout. FAs are out there but there is no gaurantee that they are better than Smith and why not do both--keep Smith and bring in a good FA? Your negativity leads no where except change for the sake of change...not a plan for improvement.

Keep thinking that.

The only reason why Alex is still here is because of the lockout. That is the ONLY reason.

To some, Alex will never be at fault for his poor play. It will always be someone else's fault.

He is the only QB in NFL history to have a bad line, bad coaching, bad team, etc.
Originally posted by JayBee:

Keep thinking that.

The only reason why Alex is still here is because of the lockout. That is the ONLY reason.

To some, Alex will never be at fault for his poor play. It will always be someone else's fault.

He is the only QB in NFL history to have a bad line, bad coaching, bad team, etc.

Who ARE these strawmen you refer to?

I've never heard anyone here place ZERO blame on Smith. I have seen people place ALL the blame on him, however.

Reality is somewhere in the middle: Smith has not performed as he should have. Some of that is due to outside factors, while some of it is his fault.
Originally posted by susweel:
Ahhhh hope is eternal.

Lol

Alex leading us to a 9-7 is a "great" 2011.

lol.

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
If this unlikely hypothetical scenario came true, we should trade Alex Smith. Derek Anderson had a great year in Cleveland and he regressed. Alex Smith may have some decent years ahead of him but the chances of him becoming a franchise QB who can lead his team to the playoffs year in and year out are ridiculously small. In fact, if that came true we should be discussing whether Mark Wahlberg or Shia Labeouf should star in the movie about his miraculous career.

For the record, Derek Anderson had 5 good games in Cleveland, not a full season. By the end of that year, fans were crying for him to be benched. Just saying...

3,787 yards 32 total touchdowns and a probowl. Thats a year.
  • Jiks
Alex Smith

See how much I know! I can predict the future! Alex Smith! Alex Smith! Alex Smith!

"Golly G Willikers He sure does Suck!"
-"Ohh No he doe not!"
"I bet you a buck he does!"
-"I bet you a buck he doesn't"
"Small hands, deer in the head lights, fumble, over throw, leadership, throwing motion, past record, Alexcuses whahhhh whaaahhh I'm so fly wooooo!"
-"But new OC's, no Wr's, no head coach, it's Jeds fault, Kwame Harris is my mom Yayyy!!!!"
" Gee I'm sure glad we had this talk again, it's not like we haven't said the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over!"
-"Me too this was very intelligent and we sure got our points across!... Again"
"Lets all just be best friends and kiss on the lips"
-"Ok"

But wait what about this?

"Golly G Willikers He sure does Suck!"
-"Ohh No he doe not!"
"I bet you a buck he does!"
-"I bet you a buck he doesn't"
"Small hands, deer in the head lights, fumble, over throw, leadership, throwing motion, past record, Alexcuses whahhhh whaaahhh I'm so fly wooooo!"
-"But new OC's, no Wr's, no head coach, it's Jeds fault, Kwame Harris is my mom Yayyy!!!!"
" Gee I'm sure glad we had this talk again, it's not like we haven't said the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over!"
-"Me too this was very intelligent and we sure got our points across!... Again"
"Lets all just be best friends and kiss on the lips"
-"Ok
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by JayBee:

Keep thinking that.

Who ARE these strawmen you refer to?

I've never heard anyone here place ZERO blame on Smith. I have seen people place ALL the blame on him, however.

Reality is somewhere in the middle: Smith has not performed as he should have. Some of that is due to outside factors, while some of it is his fault.

Thank you, that is the point that many have tried to make, but some here on this board deal only in absolutes. There is a reason to be optimistic, obviously the head coach sees something he likes in Smith. Maybe having a coach that has a creative offensive plan can get better play out of Smith. Smith has the ability to make plays, maybe Harbaugh can put him in a position to do so more consistently. That is the beauty of the WCO, it is designed to put your playmakers in the best position to make plays, implemented correctly, it is very hard to contain.
If Alex Smith has a great year it will be great for the organization all around.

Alex still won't demand a lot of money. Given that he has been pretty bad for most of his first 6 years (for whatever reasons, I don't want to get into that).

We have already seen that he isn't all about the money. He has renegotiated his contract and accepted less money.

He won't want to part and join another team and have to start all over for the billionth time.

Colin won't go anywhere either. He will be under contract. He can sit back and absorb it all in. That way if Alex gets hurt or if his "great year" is a fluke than we will have a plan B.

Alex having a great year is a win-win situation.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninertico:
If Alex has a great 2011, it will ruin Christmas for Sus.

Yes there will be no presents in my house of that happens.
Share 49ersWebzone