There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

I forgot to add in an earlier post.

If Joe Montana can be let go in order to make room for a younger QB with potential, than so can Alex Smith. You can also replace 'Joe Montana' with 'Drew Brees'

If Alex has a great year and shows he's a quality QB, but CK is a better option...you let Alex Smith go regardless of how well he plays in 2011. Besides, if they sign him to a one-year deal after the lockout ends, he will be able to negotiate with any team. Some team might be willing to throw a lot of money at him if he really has THAT good of a season. He is relatively young for a NFL QB.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Lets say that this newly refound leader, one by the name of Alex Smith

I appreciate Alex and everything he's done during this lockout, but that "leader" quality seems to have been thrust upon him by Jim Harbaugh. When they met on the one day that the lockout was lifted, Harbaugh not only gave him a playbook, but PowerPoint tools to help him teach the offense. In other words, Harbaugh clearly is the mastermind behind all of this.

I'm not trying to take away from what Alex Smith has done, but it's become obvious to me that he's doing what Harbaugh told him to do.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Lets say that this newly refound leader, one by the name of Alex Smith

I appreciate Alex and everything he's done during this lockout, but that "leader" quality seems to have been thrust upon him by Jim Harbaugh. When they met on the one day that the lockout was lifted, Harbaugh not only gave him a playbook, but PowerPoint tools to help him teach the offense. In other words, Harbaugh clearly is the mastermind behind all of this.

I'm not trying to take away from what Alex Smith has done, but it's become obvious to me that he's doing what Harbaugh told him to do.

LOL this guy can never win.

Who cares if it was "thrust" upon him. He wasn't forced to do it. He's not even on the f'n team. He could have easily stayed in the bay area and landed a over priced contract across the bay.

Look, I could careless about Smith at this point but you're going to great lengths to discredit the guy.
i would keep him for another year and have him start in 2012 while keeping CK if he does good again trade CK
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i would keep him for another year and have him start in 2012 while keeping CK if he does good again trade CK

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Let's say in this utopian scenario Alex Smith not only has a great 2011, but has a tremendous season with a deep playoff run or maybe, possibly, a Superbowl birth. Why would Alex Smith want to stay??

Because it is well known that he likes being in the WC? That he likes many of his teammates, and wouldn't want to begin learning all over again elsewhere? Why leave when you just shut so many pie holes and finally have the team that drafted you going in the right direction? If we have 2011 success, it will be because the personnel and coaching in place is clicking well. Alex will smell the many further years this team can thrive... so it would be rather shocking if he suddenly wanted to bail out. For what? Money he doesn't need? Just for the challenge of starting all over?

Because of the prior years of bad history he had with the team. If we were not in a lock out now, there is no way Smith will be brought back to this team. It is because of circumstances Smith is staying put for the time being. If you felt you were mishandled and treated poorly by the fan base, and when you finally do well (hypothetically), you see the organization and fans fall in love with you, the hypocritical tone would be too evident to pass up. I know Alex is a nice guy, and it could definitely be perceived as a d*ck move to bail on the 49ers after a extremely successful year (hypothetically), but I would not be shocked if he did it. Do you remember his reaction during the last game of the season when people were booing him, when he practically had his best game of the season? He was smiling and shaking his head in a, "I cannot wait to bolt from this place!" Could the resentment still be there? Who knows, but to assume the "nice" Alex will continue after his new found leadership role and possibly a changed persona of cockiness achieved when vindication has been achieved, I do not think it is a done deal Alex would want to stay.

The only people clinging to the past are the detractors. Yes, I watched that final game many times... it is the only one I haven't deleted from my DVR list. Fan bases are fickle no matter where you look... every intelligent player recognizes this... and understands that wins bring cheers and losses bring scorn.

If there was no lockout, then yeah, chances of Smith choosing to stay would have decreased... for the sheer reality that his options and time to make choices were drastically lessened. Some will have you believe that if not for the lockout, Harbaugh would have been happy to wave Smith g'bye. I would dismiss such a conclusion as transparently wishful thinking to help reinforce their assessment of the player's abilities.

I don't get why you won't come out and admit you're a big Alex Smith fan. Nothing wrong with that... I just hate how you deny it.

It's almost as if you're related to the guy. You didn't delete the last game for what reason?
Originally posted by JayBee:

I don't get why you won't come out and admit you're a big Alex Smith fan. Nothing wrong with that... I just hate how you deny it.

It's almost as if you're related to the guy. You didn't delete the last game for what reason?

Gotta make it personal, do ya? Well, tread lightly. When did I ever suggest that I wasn't "an Alex fan" ? You would never find such a post, as I wouldn't make one.

Why do I have to be related to him to appreciate the concept of "team football" and not take the easy way out in blaming all the team failures on one person?

Just stop before you get yourself tossed already. You don't like him and don't understand the concept of team sports... we get that already...
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Lets say that this newly refound leader, one by the name of Alex Smith

I appreciate Alex and everything he's done during this lockout, but that "leader" quality seems to have been thrust upon him by Jim Harbaugh. When they met on the one day that the lockout was lifted, Harbaugh not only gave him a playbook, but PowerPoint tools to help him teach the offense. In other words, Harbaugh clearly is the mastermind behind all of this.

I'm not trying to take away from what Alex Smith has done, but it's become obvious to me that he's doing what Harbaugh told him to do.

LOL this guy can never win.

Who cares if it was "thrust" upon him. He wasn't forced to do it. He's not even on the f'n team. He could have easily stayed in the bay area and landed a over priced contract across the bay.

Look, I could careless about Smith at this point but you're going to great lengths to discredit the guy.

I figured someone would whine about it if I mentioned it. Congratulations, you're the culprit.

Look, I mentioned it because I just read about it and watched an interview discussing it this morning.

Nobody minds when I mention anyone else being over- or under-credited, but if it's Alex, people like you cry. I have no agenda against Alex. I'm actually rooting for the guy because I realize he will be the starting QB, but I won't over-credit him or anyone else. I, like most, thought he was doing all this on his own, that it was his own idea. That's clearly not the case so I won't continue acting like it is.

That post, believe it or not, was meant to credit Harbaugh for being prepared, not to discredit Alex Smith. You can sit there and lie about not caring about Alex, but you're not fooling anyone. You saw the post the way you wanted to see it.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM ]
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i would keep him for another year and have him start in 2012 while keeping CK if he does good again trade CK


ok what woould you do differently
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i would keep him for another year and have him start in 2012 while keeping CK if he does good again trade CK


ok what woould you do differently

Start CK
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by JayBee:

I don't get why you won't come out and admit you're a big Alex Smith fan. Nothing wrong with that... I just hate how you deny it.

It's almost as if you're related to the guy. You didn't delete the last game for what reason?

Gotta make it personal, do ya? Well, tread lightly. When did I ever suggest that I wasn't "an Alex fan" ? You would never find such a post, as I wouldn't make one.

Why do I have to be related to him to appreciate the concept of "team football" and not take the easy way out in blaming all the team failures on one person?

Just stop before you get yourself tossed already. You don't like him and don't understand the concept of team sports... we get that already...

I love how defensive you get and how you feel the need to always hint at me getting banned....then go and take a personal shot at me.

Aren't you the same guy who got offended by me calling your assessment of Alex being "biased"? Then you go and say I don't understand the concept of team sports.

Too funny.

Anyways, do you know why QB's sign big, lucrative contracts? Why they don't get hit in practice?

Because they're more important than any other player on the field. You can't seem to grasp that a QB is more important than a punter. It IS a team game, BUT the QB will always be blamed for the losses and cheered for the wins.

I remember before Peyton won a SB. All you heard was he couldn't win the big one. He wasn't a winner. People said this even though he had an awful defense and a kicker who flubbed kick after kick.

So it's a team sport BUT the QB more than any other individual player on the field is responsible for the success and failure of the team.

In addition...another reason why Alex gets a lot of flack is because he's the one constant on this team over the last 6 years. Virtually every head coach, position coach, co-ordinator and player has been replaced since Alex started.

It's baffling how you don't understand why Alex gets criticized. But alas, I don't understand the concept of team sports..and you do.

Please quit it with the threats though. I'm compiling a list of your threats to send to a mod.
Originally posted by JayBee:


Please quit it with the threats though. I'm compiling a list of your threats to send to a mod.

So now I am threatening you by advising you to"tread lightly" thanks to your own words getting you to a 95% warning level ?

just wow...
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i would keep him for another year and have him start in 2012 while keeping CK if he does good again trade CK


ok what woould you do differently

I wouldnt trade Kaepernick for just good from a 7th year vet and former #1 pick. Anything less than a great pro bowl complete season you move on. We can get good with a 2nd year guy with Kaepernicks potential.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Let's say in this utopian scenario Alex Smith not only has a great 2011, but has a tremendous season with a deep playoff run or maybe, possibly, a Superbowl birth. Why would Alex Smith want to stay??

Because it is well known that he likes being in the WC? That he likes many of his teammates, and wouldn't want to begin learning all over again elsewhere? Why leave when you just shut so many pie holes and finally have the team that drafted you going in the right direction? If we have 2011 success, it will be because the personnel and coaching in place is clicking well. Alex will smell the many further years this team can thrive... so it would be rather shocking if he suddenly wanted to bail out. For what? Money he doesn't need? Just for the challenge of starting all over?

Because of the prior years of bad history he had with the team. If we were not in a lock out now, there is no way Smith will be brought back to this team. It is because of circumstances Smith is staying put for the time being. If you felt you were mishandled and treated poorly by the fan base, and when you finally do well (hypothetically), you see the organization and fans fall in love with you, the hypocritical tone would be too evident to pass up. I know Alex is a nice guy, and it could definitely be perceived as a d*ck move to bail on the 49ers after a extremely successful year (hypothetically), but I would not be shocked if he did it. Do you remember his reaction during the last game of the season when people were booing him, when he practically had his best game of the season? He was smiling and shaking his head in a, "I cannot wait to bolt from this place!" Could the resentment still be there? Who knows, but to assume the "nice" Alex will continue after his new found leadership role and possibly a changed persona of cockiness achieved when vindication has been achieved, I do not think it is a done deal Alex would want to stay.

The only people clinging to the past are the detractors. Yes, I watched that final game many times... it is the only one I haven't deleted from my DVR list. Fan bases are fickle no matter where you look... every intelligent player recognizes this... and understands that wins bring cheers and losses bring scorn.

If there was no lockout, then yeah, chances of Smith choosing to stay would have decreased... for the sheer reality that his options and time to make choices were drastically lessened. Some will have you believe that if not for the lockout, Harbaugh would have been happy to wave Smith g'bye. I would dismiss such a conclusion as transparently wishful thinking to help reinforce their assessment of the player's abilities.

Yes, I agree that many of the people clinging to the past are the detractors; however, my point being is that Smith is not one of those detractors. Moreover, I also agree that fan bases are fickle across the league and "intelligent" players recognize this, as well as recognize actions from the front office as simply being "part of the business".

However, the pure hatred bestowed upon Smith is some serious negative energy one has to overcome and overlook, even with a winning season. Yes, I am sure Smith would relish the vindication of an awesome season, but my point is that the amount of pure hate, which you have to admit has been alarming, thrown at Smith for all those years does not easily go away after one great year. There is booing if you lose, but the booing Smith is getting is above the "normal" dissatisfaction of a players performance. I do not recall ever hearing a resonating booing fest as bad as I heard during the 49ers vs. Eagles game. Moreover, in almost every article you read regarding Smith, the comment section usually has. "Comment is abusive and has been removed." You cannot delete this stuff from memory, especially if you are the one receiving this hatred.

Therefore, what I am trying to convey is that if Smith does have a tremendous 2011, there is no guarantee he would want to resign with us. Quite frankly, if I was him and went through the extreme hateful criticism he has gone through and then have a great year, I would seriously contemplate throwing the middle finger towards the fans and organization and take my newly found talents elsewhere, where if I had won the Superbowl, I would definitely be a hot commodity for other teams. When it comes to organizations, it's always "don't take it personal, it's only business", but when it comes to players, it pretty much is always personal.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

Yes, I agree that many of the people clinging to the past are the detractors; however, my point being is that Smith is not one of those detractors. Moreover, I also agree that fan bases are fickle across the league and "intelligent" players recognize this, as well as recognize actions from the front office as simply being "part of the business".

However, the pure hatred bestowed upon Smith is some serious negative energy one has to overcome and overlook, even with a winning season. Yes, I am sure Smith would relish the vindication of an awesome season, but my point is that the amount of pure hate, which you have to admit has been alarming, thrown at Smith for all those years does not easily go away after one great year. There is booing if you lose, but the booing Smith is getting is above the "normal" dissatisfaction of a players performance. I do not recall ever hearing a resonating booing fest as bad as I heard during the 49ers vs. Eagles game. Moreover, in almost every article you read regarding Smith, the comment section usually has. "Comment is abusive and has been removed." You cannot delete this stuff from memory, especially if you are the one receiving this hatred.

Therefore, what I am trying to convey is that if Smith does have a tremendous 2011, there is no guarantee he would want to resign with us. Quite frankly, if I was him and went through the extreme hateful criticism he has gone through and then have a great year, I would seriously contemplate throwing the middle finger towards the fans and organization and take my newly found talents elsewhere, where if I had won the Superbowl, I would definitely be a hot commodity for other teams. When it comes to organizations, it's always "don't take it personal, it's only business", but when it comes to players, it pretty much is always personal.

I think your estimation numbers to the level of fan hate is overblown.

In truth, the circles of Alex detractors (the pure and fanatical anti-Alex fans) are not as large as they appear. They just seem larger because on forums... especially in the off-seasons... it is boring as hell... so people need repetition to stir things up for conversation. Their words are a tool designed to provoke... because they figure to get a response. Whether that response is positive or negative hardly matters. They just want to be liked by some and have combative talks with others. So what topic generates the most conversation? Oh yeah... you got it... Alex Smith.

As for stadium boo-birds, I remember when Steve Young took all kinds of crap from fans early on. Alex deserved to get SOME boos when he fumbled vs Philly. Any quarterback should catch some grief for that. Thing is, you have to be mentally strong and know how to deal with that stuff as a pro. Alex isn't gonna run away from some boo-birds. He understands the frustration that the fans feel... but is also smart enough to recognize that their cries and anger is built on misplaced frustration. He knows someone is gonna "take the hit" for the team failures... so no... he won't take that stuff personally.

Guarantees that Alex will re-sign if successful? No... can't go that far. But I don't think he will take a tremendous level of hate from most fans if he does well. Most fans are willing to give him another shot if Harbaugh says so. It is only the minority circles that have built up the kind of hate that will boo at the first INC and will hope for him to crash and burn... even if it means the team suffers.