There are 235 users in the forums

Ray McDonald wants to be a starter, why the hell shouldn't he be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongin on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

you know what I DO HATE, its that fans think it's lame when player's do a dance related to their culture to fire their team up.....lame

what the f**k does his culture have to do with the 49ers?

Sorry Fred, gotta jump on you. First off, Soap is Somoan. Secondly, it's a cultural warrior dance. What would be more appropriate, river dancing? With that said, I still like you...

fair enough....but that dance is annoying to me for some reason. just to be a smart ass, if one of our players parents were from Scottland would it be ok if that player walked out on the field with bagpipes before every game?

whats wrong with bagpipes?

I think it would be hilarious. Wouldnt last more than 1 week but funny as hell.

I wonder if Iupati knows it too
Crazy talk has overrun the board.

Do we honestly want a 6'3", 290 pounder starting on the strong side of the line in our 3-4 defense? A guy who has major problems with his knees in the past, and is best suited as a situational tackle when the team lines up in the 4-3 on passing downs. Zero sacks.

The bottom line is that he is a maxed-out, backup 4-3 undertackle, not a starter on the strongside in a 3-4 defense.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Do we honestly want a 6'3", 290 pounder starting on the strong side of the line in our 3-4 defense? A guy who has major problems with his knees in the past, and is best suited as a situational tackle when the team lines up in the 4-3 on passing downs. Zero sacks.

The bottom line is that he is a maxed-out, backup 4-3 undertackle, not a starter on the strongside in a 3-4 defense.

Do you think our base (or most common) defense will be a 3-4, or a 2-4-5? Especially when we play NFC West teams?
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:53 PM ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Dude can't start in a 3-4. He's got one move and that's the bull in the china shop and he's not built for the nose. Absent Mcdaddy all of a sudden beefing up and turning into an effective bullrushing nose in a 34, or gaining some other moves other than bullrushing...the only way Mcdaddy starts and the line remains effective is in a 4 man front. Udderwise, your stuck with a situational dude who doesn't have the beef to bullrush every down. Your looking at a guy who needs to take downs off...you can't do that as a starter in a 34. You can get away with that to a limited degree in a 4 man front, but definitely not a 34.
Originally posted by Blitz:
Dude can't start in a 3-4. He's got one move and that's the bull in the china shop and he's not built for the nose. Absent Mcdaddy all of a sudden beefing up and turning into an effective bullrushing nose in a 34, or gaining some other moves other than bullrushing...the only way Mcdaddy starts and the line remains effective is in a 4 man front. Udderwise, your stuck with a situational dude who doesn't have the beef to bullrush every down. Your looking at a guy who needs to take downs off...you can't do that as a starter in a 34. You can get away with that to a limited degree in a 4 man front, but definitely not a 34.

I'm not convinced we'll be in a pure 3-4 most of the time. If you look at the players on the roster right now, a 2-4-5 is more likely, especially given NFC West teams and the passing direction the league is going in right now (and rules changes reinforce this). The line would be a rotation of Soap, JSmith, McDonald, and RJF. LB starters will likely be Willis, ASmith, Spikes, and Brooks, although I think we'll see a lot of Bowman, since he may fit Fangio's schemes more than Spikes can. And a mix of CBs and Ss in a 5-man secondary, with a lot of jamming at the line (and look for the Niners to make a strong play for one of the better FA CBs).
Ray Mac and Baas need to be the top two FA priorities. The former should be the starting LDE, with Sopoaga going to NT. Baas is a needed anchor on the OL. Not that big on Goldson...he really hasn't stepped up to be a playmaking FS. If they re-sign him, ok, but I won't be heartbroken if they don't, either.
I hope he starts next year, whenever he's in he seems to be effective

Smith-Soap-McDonald
Smith-Spikes-Willis-Brooks
Originally posted by Vernon85:

Smith-Soap-McDonald

swap Brooks with Laboy and you got a starting front 7
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Do you think our base (or most common) defense will be a 3-4, or a 2-4-5? Especially when we play NFC West teams?

When we play teams with weak running games, like the Cards or Seahawks, I can see a lot of the time just having McDonald and J. Smith as the only 2 d-linemen on the field.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:

Smith-Soap-McDonald

I think it'd be a good idea to rotate them.

Smith-Soap-McDonald

Laboy can't do anything except rush the passer
Originally posted by cwilson830:

Smith-Soap-McDonald

Thats fine if we are running that 2-4-5 people keep mentioning.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Smith-Soap-McDonald

Yeah, he's fine on passing downs, but he can't play in base D

Smith-Soap-McDonald

Do you think 2-4-5 would be our base D?

Smith-Soap-McDonald

Do you think 2-4-5 would be our base D?

No I dont think that's a great idea
Share 49ersWebzone