There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I believe Reggie Smith can play either position but he was starting at SS last year in place of Mays. I would say that he could make the shift to FS if Goldson departs, but I believe that the best option going forward would be to retain Goldson (ugh) and keep Smith at SS. I think Mays will require another year.

-9fA

Yeah, Reggie can play either positions. Like I said as of now we have 3 average guys back there. I was one of the first on the Earl Thomas bandwagon last year. I hope Goldson don't cost too much. Think we are stuck with them for better or worse and hope Mays and Reggie/Dashon work out. Like I said 3 ints from your safeties won't cut it. There isn't anything wrong with some of our starters but if we want to take the next step we need to upgrade in areas. It was ok a few years back when 4-5 wins was all we expected. (04, 05, etc)

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 16, 2011 at 18:46:08 ]
I predict Suswheel JayBee and other n****rf****ts come in and hijack this thread with stupid Alex Smith comments! the mods will love it!
Originally posted by Gore_21:

I believe Reggie Smith can play either position but he was starting at SS last year in place of Mays. I would say that he could make the shift to FS if Goldson departs, but I believe that the best option going forward would be to retain Goldson (ugh) and keep Smith at SS. I think Mays will require another year.

-9fA

Yeah, Reggie can play either positions. Like I said as of now we have 3 average guys back there. I was one of the first on the Earl Thomas bandwagon last year. I hope Goldson don't cost too much. Think we are stuck with them for better or worse and hope Mays and Reggie/Dashon work out. Like I said 3 ints from your safeties won't cut it. There isn't anything wrong with some of our starters but if we want to take the next step we need to upgrade in areas. It was ok a few years back when 4-5 wins was all we expected. (04, 05, etc)

I just hope that Dashon improves his tackling fundamentals and also his coverage skills. He's way too aggressive and it was often seen that teams would take advantage of this as almost every team ran the fleaflicker on us to try and get our safeties to bite.

I like Reggie Smith and I believe that he will be able to turn the corner this year. There is a question at this position going forward though. In hindsight, Earl Thomas would have been a good pick but you have to remember that we had massive needs along the line in last year's draft.

-9fA
Originally posted by pd24:
I'm tired of seeing Norris at FB. He offers limited flexibility and he isn't even that great at what he presently can do. The primary recollection that I have of Norris is of him looking like a fool while trying to catch a pass from Alex Smith.

I'm skeptical that Miller will pan out at FB. Even more so since he's being converted from DL, which is something that I still don't understand. I definitely cannot see him making any immediate impact.

-9fA

I read that A. Dixon will get some time at full back also and he is bulking up.

He's only slightly bulking for the possibility but I can't see him having any extended responsibilities in the role.

In fact, the title of Maiocco's article was, "Maiocco: Dixon does not fit as full-time fullback."

-9fA
Originally posted by 5280High:
I'm tired of seeing Norris at FB. He offers limited flexibility and he isn't even that great at what he presently can do. The primary recollection that I have of Norris is of him looking like a fool while trying to catch a pass from Alex Smith.

I'm skeptical that Miller will pan out at FB. Even more so since he's being converted from DL, which is something that I still don't understand. I definitely cannot see him making any immediate impact.

-9fA

Im with you on Norris. This offense needs versatility and at this stage Norris is just a battering ram and not a very effective one anymore. I think Byham will see allot of time as a lead blocker while Miller makes the transition. One thing to keep in mind is that last year most fans thought another defensive-player-moved-to-fullback named Miller should of gotten the job over Norris, hopefully this year it actually happens. The only reason why this Miller is turning heads when they drafted him to be FB over the previous Miller is because of his sack stats, and our need for an OLB. But remember where we drafted him... if teams really thought he could transition to OLB he wouldn't of been there when we selected him.

Byham is primarily a blocking TE, no? He could have the size to transition temporarily to FB, I haven't checked. However, I would argue that he would have a slight learning curve as well as your responsibilities as a blocker are different as a FB as when compared to as a TE.

Agree with you on Brit Miller. I wanted Miller over Norris and was surprised to see Norris retained. I recall that Miller also offered special teams value that I don't think Norris does (could be wrong).

I'm just still not convinced that Bruce Miller will pan out at FB. But hey, in Harbaugh I trust.

-9fA
For all we know they could be using both Byham and Norris/Miller as FBs. Byham could be listed as a TE so they can still have 2 FBs. Byham could maybe be that catcher out of the backfield and Norris does the run/short area stuff. Still a little worried because Byham is a little slow out of the backfield but he's better than Norris.

And to whoever I was discussing Earl Thomas with I do not fault the 49ers for talking two OL one bit. It was a desperate need and sure it would have been nice to find a RT in the 2nd or later and ended up with Iupati and Thomas but I don't fault them.

-9fA

If you are talking about the 5 yard pass that sailed over his head as he dove backwards to try to make a grab, it was Alex Smith who looked like the fool for not being able to drop a catchable ball to a wide open full back from 5 yards out.

Why are you skeptical of Miller panning out at FB? FB requires an individual that can run into the pile and smash into a defensive player, not exactly rocket science. You basically just have to be tough to play FB
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

-9fA

If you are talking about the 5 yard pass that sailed over his head as he dove backwards to try to make a grab, it was Alex Smith who looked like the fool for not being able to drop a catchable ball to a wide open full back from 5 yards out.

Why are you skeptical of Miller panning out at FB? FB requires an individual that can run into the pile and smash into a defensive player, not exactly rocket science. You basically just have to be tough to play FB

You have to be able to read and understand a playbook, understand adjustments based on the defense, when to change your route. You have to be able to pick up the blitz. You have to be able to tell which guy to block. If someone just runs in to a pile and smashes in to a LB, all they have done is put two bodies in a potential running lane.

There is a little more to it than just being tough.
Originally posted by Otter:

-9fA

You have to be able to read and understand a playbook, understand adjustments based on the defense, when to change your route. You have to be able to pick up the blitz. You have to be able to tell which guy to block. If someone just runs in to a pile and smashes in to a LB, all they have done is put two bodies in a potential running lane.

Obviously the position must be learned and practiced, you should assume everyone posting here knows that much about football. But lets be honest, it is the simplest position on the offense to learn. Most common spot for a converted player. It's about having a sense and talent for the position. As a fullback, the characteristics that make the great ones are toughness and selflessness. Blocking assignments can be taught and anyone on the field can learn the route concepts a fullback has to know. Its up to the player to be tough and attack his assignments with tenacity. Effective fullbacks must above all else be feared by the defense. This is why Zak Keasey had no chance.

[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jun 17, 2011 at 14:30:10 ]
I think we are underestimating TMays. he's a driven kid who will not settle for mediore.
Originally posted by Otter:

-9fA

Obviously the position must be learned and practiced, you should assume everyone posting here knows that much about football. But lets be honest, it is the simplest position on the offense to learn. Most common spot for a converted player. It's about having a sense and talent for the position. As a fullback, the characteristics that make the great ones are toughness and selflessness. Blocking assignments can be taught and anyone on the field can learn the route concepts a fullback has to know. Its up to the player to be tough and attack his assignments with tenacity. Effective fullbacks must above all else be feared by the defense. This is why Zak Keasey had no chance.

As far as I'm concerned, both Smith and Norris looked awful on that play, but that is not what this thread is about.

Yes you are correct in saying that FB is the easiest position on offense to learn. However, I believe that Miller has a low likelihood of being successful in the position because:

1. He hasn't played the position before IIRC and
  2. Converted players have a historically low chance of making any sort of lasting impact at their new position. This is across the league.

-9fA
The Niners have got to address their needs at DB. I'm so tired of seeing the Niner DBs getting burned in highlight after highlight. Clements is done IMO. The dude is great in run support, but gets OWNED in coverage. Spencer had some potential, but he's never been able to really take that next step. CB should be priority number 1 IMO.

The safeties aren't much better either. That being said, I'm hopeful that Reggie takes a huge step this season. He got a boatload of playing time last season, maybe he uses that exp to step it up.
I'm not all that sure that Norris is a terrible fit for Harbaugh's offense. Marecic rarely touched the ball, and Harbaugh thought that he was pretty special. That might not be the same in his NFL offense, though. Either way, I'd prefer Leach, and FBs usually don't come that expensive.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I'm not all that sure that Norris is a terrible fit for Harbaugh's offense. Marecic rarely touched the ball, and Harbaugh thought that he was pretty special. That might not be the same in his NFL offense, though. Either way, I'd prefer Leach, and FBs usually don't come that expensive.

True, check out Marecic's stats.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14130/type/college/owen-marecic

Maybe that's just us wanting a fullback who can catch the ball out of the backfield and do something with it. Too many years of having FBs that can't get more than a yard or two running or catching. Does anyone have a link where Harbaugh said he wants a FB who can run and catch? I was under the impression he wanted the FB to be a weapon too or at least be a potential threat for the defense to worry about. If he doesn't care about the FB being a weapon then Norris will do just fine.

FBs are usually very sharp as they spend a lot of their time keeping the QB alive. They read the defense and have to determine (on the same page with the QB) whether to block, float out for a dump off, or both. Not as simple as WR, RB, or DB. Those positions are more one on one, athletic and one dimensional. Think about the great 9er FBs, who were not brutes but all around athletic guys who were pretty smart. Craig and Rathman were two of the best and were very tough but also multi-dimensional.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 29, 2011 at 21:26:11 ]