LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
New HCoach & swchemes, 9 new starters, very tough road schedule including the Steelers & Ravens - 8-8 or 9-7
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
New HCoach & swchemes, 9 new starters, very tough road schedule including the Steelers & Ravens - 8-8 or 9-7

Sucks that we play the steelers so late in the season, I think we will be in the hunt till that game, then lose it.

That could possibly be alex's last game as a niner..
Superbowl or Bust!
Originally posted by Rentemspoons:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I am sure there will be a surprise or two. But I think Ted Ginn could be one of those last cuts. With Edwards, Crabcake and Morgan I think they may go youth movement afterwards with Johnson, Williams and maybe another youngster. Also if stiff as a board not able to catch or run Moran Norris makes this team I might puke. Also just a hunch that Chilo could be on a very short leash.

I would rather have Ginn over Williams simply because Ginn is a better return man and isn't as injury prone.

I'd keep Ginn if nothing else he's the only speed threat in our widereceiver corps to play the Slot, even if he does drop the ball somebody on Defense has to go with him down the field, and if one of the youngster can't return we HAVE to keep him.

and why is everyone down on Moran Norris he's a straight up Thumper, it's not his job to run out and catch passes ask Gore who he'd rather have in front of... He want the THUMP !

9er fans are use to FBs who have multiple talents. Craig and Rathman could run, block and catch. Having a one-dimensional thumper may not be worth the roster spot. But Gore really likes Norris and they do work well together.
I think we'll make final cuts and there will be 2 qbs on the roster...and I'd something happens during the season that makes us need another we will sign one then. But I think if Alex isn't the starter at some point they'll go with kap.

Or maybe harbaugh will suit up. Old school player/coach style
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Chilo has no potential. He used his upper body strength in college to get by. That crap doesn't work in the NFL. He has bad feet, bad hips, no lower body strength, no ability to get to the next level and is slow out of his stance. Hopefully the niners send a mass email out for him.

Other than that he should be ok

I literally laughed out loud when I read your comment!
To the OP.

Nice analysis. It was a good read.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
My Sleeper to make the 53 man roster:

Watch #95

Quote:

“At this point, an undrafted rookie you can almost put in three phases: No.1, this guy’s got no chance, No. 2, this guy’s got a chance or No. 3, we might have found something here,” Fangio said. “He’s got a chance.”

Link
I think we will be a competitive team, we have added some talented players and I still say we did not lose anyone that we couldn't replace.

I could honestly seeing us going anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7.
Originally posted by eamjr10:
I think we will be a competitive team, we have added some talented players and I still say we did not lose anyone that we couldn't replace.

I could honestly seeing us going anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7.

same here, it depends on how well we do against the division. i say 8-8

These kind of questions are hard to answer because we all assume the coaching is superior to last season but we haven't seen Harbaugh make any NFL in-game adjustments yet, we haven't seen any clock management. I'd like to wait a atleast a couple of preseason games to see if these guys even look remotely comfortable out there with our new offense and I hope they do as teams really vanilla their offense up in preseason. Now with all that said...

We have a ton of guys on this team that are playing for long term contracts if not here then somewhere. Guys that include Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Braylon Edwards, Carlos Rodgers, among others, thats alot of hungry players and if these guys can come out there with a huge chip on their shoulders then we have a very decent chance of accompolishing a winning record this season.
  • ttime
No..No..No. The bar should not be lowered because of changes. If this team does not make it to the play-offs then the season should be considered unsuccessful. Otherwise Sing should have remained as the HC.

This team has more offensive fire power than both Baltimore and the Steelers. The big question is if it will be Alex or Kap who brings it all together. An offensive minded coach should be able to produce with this unit..this year.

The defense on the other hand is the major question mark. This has been advertised not to be a bend but don't break group and the speed that was badly needed has been added. I still think that they should have kept Manny and paired him with Smith on the outside while pairing Brooks with Willis on the inside and we would have had a better LB core than anyone that will be put on the field. So currently, some questions still exist here.

As far as the defensive backs, they have added speed and a far superior safety in terms of his ability to tackle and make plays. He sort of reminds me of the Packers old safety L. Butler in his size and play making ability.

The team's recent advertising of Mays is concerning though. He reminds me of Jeff Fuller; who was arguably one of the best SS that this team has ever had and to give up on him after one year while given Alex seven years, seems a bit hasty. Any coach worth his salt would love the opportunity to coach a kid with that much potential. Coach him up and place him where he can excel.

The defensive backs do have better size and speed as well. I would not be surprised if the rookie starts at some point in the season. His size and speed screams lock-down corner and like Mays he should be coached up and put in a position to succeed. Spencer and T. Brown offer great insurance.

The success of the DL will greatly depend upon SOAP and it remaining healthy. Some big question marks here.

I have not predicted wins and losses since the glory days and won't do it here. But, change should not lower expectations. Play-offs or bust.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by ttime:
No..No..No. The bar should not be lowered because of changes. If this team does not make it to the play-offs then the season should be considered unsuccessful. Otherwise Sing should have remained as the HC.

This team has more offensive fire power than both Baltimore and the Steelers. The big question is if it will be Alex or Kap who brings it all together. An offensive minded coach should be able to produce with this unit..this year.

The defense on the other hand is the major question mark. This has been advertised not to be a bend but don't break group and the speed that was badly needed has been added. I still think that they should have kept Manny and paired him with Smith on the outside while pairing Brooks with Willis on the inside and we would have had a better LB core than anyone that will be put on the field. So currently, some questions still exist here.

As far as the defensive backs, they have added speed and a far superior safety in terms of his ability to tackle and make plays. He sort of reminds me of the Packers old safety L. Butler in his size and play making ability.

The team's recent advertising of Mays is concerning though. He reminds me of Jeff Fuller; who was arguably one of the best SS that this team has ever had and to give up on him after one year while given Alex seven years, seems a bit hasty. Any coach worth his salt would love the opportunity to coach a kid with that much potential. Coach him up and place him where he can excel.

The defensive backs do have better size and speed as well. I would not be surprised if the rookie starts at some point in the season. His size and speed screams lock-down corner and like Mays he should be coached up and put in a position to succeed. Spencer and T. Brown offer great insurance.

The success of the DL will greatly depend upon SOAP and it remaining healthy. Some big question marks here.

I have not predicted wins and losses since the glory days and won't do it here. But, change should not lower expectations. Play-offs or bust.

some silly statements

A team should always believe they can win and strive toward the playoffs and beyond. But to say the season is lost if they don't is kind of dramatic.

Especially with a new coach, system and players that have very little time in a short pre season.

Teams that look good on paper are not always going to produce. The NFL is a total team sport chemistry and timing is everything.

Being in one of the weakest div helps greatly and the playoffs are a clear goal. I'm more looking at how the teams plays under the new coaching system and try to limit the stupid mistakes we've all seen in recent years.

This team played some ok football last year and also played horrible football. The lack of discipline was very apparent. I want to see sound football first and the wins will follow.
Pros
-Jim Harbaugh is an upgrade over Singletary
-Carlos Rogers will be an upgrade over Nate Clements
-Donte Whitner is an upgrade over Dashon Goldson
-Isaac Sopoaga will anchor the line just as good if not better than Franklin
-Goodwin is an upgrade over Bass
-We won't miss Takeo Spikes too much with Bowman ready to go
-A receiving tandem of Edwards and Crabtree sounds promising
-Alex Smith will have the best season of his career under Harbaugh
Cons
-very limited prep time for the season. CBA negotiations killed any chance of the Harbaugh transition being a smooth one.
-huh.........
Good stuff. Can't really disagree with anything.

I agree that we could use a couple more d-linemen to the camp mix. I believe Robaire Smith and Pat Williams are still available. Or we could see Baalke revisit the patient approach and try to bag some more experienced depth after final cuts.

Also, only four TE's in camp? I know Byham got hurt, but given Roman's emphasis on the position I'm just surprised they didn't start with at least a half dozen. I wouldn't doubt if that changes sooner rather than later. As far as I can tell, accounting for the three season ending injuries (Bogan, Byham and Holcomb) we have 87 on the roster.
Share 49ersWebzone