-Carlos Rogers will be an upgrade over Nate Clements
-Donte Whitner is an upgrade over Dashon Goldson
-Isaac Sopoaga will anchor the line just as good if not better than Franklin
-Goodwin is an upgrade over Bass
-We won't miss Takeo Spikes too much with Bowman ready to go
-A receiving tandem of Edwards and Crabtree sounds promising
-Alex Smith will have the best season of his career under Harbaugh
Cons
-very limited prep time for the season. CBA negotiations killed any chance of the Harbaugh transition being a smooth one.
-huh.........

Donte Whitner plays strong saftey and Dashon is a free saftey. I do think that Whitner is a better tackler than Dashon. His 140 last year proves just that.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
My Sleeper to make the 53 man roster:

Watch #95

Quote:

“At this point, an undrafted rookie you can almost put in three phases: No.1, this guy’s got no chance, No. 2, this guy’s got a chance or No. 3, we might have found something here,” Fangio said. “He’s got a chance.”

Link

The thing I love about this guy, if you watch, is he NEVER gets pushed backwards. Not once did I see him get plowed through. He's a wall out there, and at worst he's holding his ground. He's a great developmental NT. Definitely not a penetrator-type DT, and his burst off the line is not all that consistent because that is simply not his strong suit, nor what his role typically was at Notre Dame, but I think he has a chance to earn a DL spot. At worst, he should make the PS.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
My Sleeper to make the 53 man roster:

Watch #95

Quote:

“At this point, an undrafted rookie you can almost put in three phases: No.1, this guy’s got no chance, No. 2, this guy’s got a chance or No. 3, we might have found something here,” Fangio said. “He’s got a chance.”

Link

The thing I love about this guy, if you watch, is he NEVER gets pushed backwards. Not once did I see him get plowed through. He's a wall out there, and at worst he's holding his ground. He's a great developmental NT. Definitely not a penetrator-type DT, and his burst off the line is not all that consistent because that is simply not his strong suit, nor what his role typically was at Notre Dame, but I think he has a chance to earn a DL spot. At worst, he should make the PS.

guys like him can be tough to hide on the practice squad, eventually someone would pick him up
We should finally be aggressive on both offense and defense. I expect some growing pains at first with all of the new schemes.

We have upgraded in coaching and should finally see a more coherent game plan with adjustments being made during the game instead of hearing I have to look at the game film first. I can't wait to finally have a coach who will aggressively be trying to take over the game and I look forward to predictability going out the window.

On paper I like the new additions and the price tag that goes with them. Hopefully the coaching staff was very involved in those pick ups in FA so these players might fit the new schemes being put in place.

Very excited to get this season started ....... that excitement seems to be a yearly event , hopefully with better results this season. From scratching my head one week to smiling the next.
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Pros
-Jim Harbaugh is an upgrade over Singletary
Cons
-very limited prep time for the season. CBA negotiations killed any chance of the Harbaugh transition being a smooth one.
-huh.........

I hope so, but last time he played NT, he was not very good at it, still he is a huge guys and we do have a pretty good D line coach, also his problems were technique, that was where Franklin had a huge edge over him.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Pros
-Jim Harbaugh is an upgrade over Singletary
Cons
-huh.........

I hope so, but last time he played NT, he was not very good at it, still he is a huge guys and we do have a pretty good D line coach, also his problems were technique, that was where Franklin had a huge edge over him.

I totally agree with your observation of Soap versus Franklin , hopefully better coaching and a new scheme may change the results slightly. I like RJF and Williams for depth too.
The last several seasons we have lost the X's & O's battle due to incompetent coaching that couldn't game plan or make adjustments. I like our chances in this area with the Harbaugh staff.

We also have built a roster that looks better on paper, IMO

We'll see... Starting next week.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
The last several seasons we have lost the X's & O's battle due to incompetent coaching that couldn't game plan or make adjustments. I like our chances in this area with the Harbaugh staff.

We also have built a roster that looks better on paper, IMO

We'll see... Starting next week.

I totally agree Dave,in fact I think the biggest upgrade is that we have a coach that understands offense and QB's which is something we should have had when we decided to draft a project qb with the #1 pick.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Chilo has no potential. He used his upper body strength in college to get by. That crap doesn't work in the NFL. He has bad feet, bad hips, no lower body strength, no ability to get to the next level and is slow out of his stance. Hopefully the niners send a mass email out for him.

Other than that he should be ok

Other than that he's Larry freakin Allen.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Chilo has no potential. He used his upper body strength in college to get by. That crap doesn't work in the NFL. He has bad feet, bad hips, no lower body strength, no ability to get to the next level and is slow out of his stance. Hopefully the niners send a mass email out for him.

Chilo was projected as a 5th round pick, and that is how he is playing. He rocketed up boards and the niners simply made a mistake trying to pick a mauling OL.

I think cut him if he cannot earn a starter spot. Take your lumps and move on. The OL was much better with Snyder starting at RG. Rachal was Singletarys pet, hopefully the new coach will play the best players.

Very nicely done, however I'm not sold on Larry Grant as a lock. He's already been cut from this team once in the past and he couldn't hold down a starting job in a mostly very average Rams linebacking corps last season barring of course James Laurinaitis. I see Applewhite as more of a lock than Grant as he started all 16 games last season for a playoff caliber team.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:22 PM ]
I'd add one more dark horse to the squad -- and it feels so strange to be saying it, but...

Taylor Mays -- If the Niners can't trade him, but shows up as a Special Teams monster in preseason, he may just stick. You have to think that opponents' KRs and PRs would be hearing steps and knowing they're one hit away from tomorrow. He could motivate other teams to fair catch punts more often than they would otherwise (I think the new rules will result in more touchbacks on kickoffs, although it will be interesting to see if some kickers don't try for altitude and have the ball come down inside the 10 where it or the KR will be fair game).
  • ttime
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by ttime:
No..No..No. The bar should not be lowered because of changes. If this team does not make it to the play-offs then the season should be considered unsuccessful. Otherwise Sing should have remained as the HC.

This team has more offensive fire power than both Baltimore and the Steelers. The big question is if it will be Alex or Kap who brings it all together. An offensive minded coach should be able to produce with this unit..this year.

The defense on the other hand is the major question mark. This has been advertised not to be a bend but don't break group and the speed that was badly needed has been added. I still think that they should have kept Manny and paired him with Smith on the outside while pairing Brooks with Willis on the inside and we would have had a better LB core than anyone that will be put on the field. So currently, some questions still exist here.

As far as the defensive backs, they have added speed and a far superior safety in terms of his ability to tackle and make plays. He sort of reminds me of the Packers old safety L. Butler in his size and play making ability.

The team's recent advertising of Mays is concerning though. He reminds me of Jeff Fuller; who was arguably one of the best SS that this team has ever had and to give up on him after one year while given Alex seven years, seems a bit hasty. Any coach worth his salt would love the opportunity to coach a kid with that much potential. Coach him up and place him where he can excel.

The defensive backs do have better size and speed as well. I would not be surprised if the rookie starts at some point in the season. His size and speed screams lock-down corner and like Mays he should be coached up and put in a position to succeed. Spencer and T. Brown offer great insurance.

The success of the DL will greatly depend upon SOAP and it remaining healthy. Some big question marks here.

I have not predicted wins and losses since the glory days and won't do it here. But, change should not lower expectations. Play-offs or bust.

some silly statements

A team should always believe they can win and strive toward the playoffs and beyond. But to say the season is lost if they don't is kind of dramatic.

Especially with a new coach, system and players that have very little time in a short pre season.

Teams that look good on paper are not always going to produce. The NFL is a total team sport chemistry and timing is everything.

Being in one of the weakest div helps greatly and the playoffs are a clear goal. I'm more looking at how the teams plays under the new coaching system and try to limit the stupid mistakes we've all seen in recent years.

This team played some ok football last year and also played horrible football. The lack of discipline was very apparent. I want to see sound football first and the wins will follow.

Actually, the only silly statement suggest that change must result in lower expectations which makes no sense in the game of football otherwise why change?

Moreover, neither Baltimore or the Steelers have the offensive fire power than the 49ers. Gore is a top five back and although Rice is very good, at best he is equal to Gore. Neither have the TE skills and flexibility that the Niners have. With the addition of Edwards, the Niners have a very talented WR corp that can arguably compete with any of those two team. The TE position puts the Niners on top. The apparent deficiency is QB.

The new coaching staff does not get a pass here. They have assembled a talented group which is more than capable of achieving immediate success. Other teams have done it with less and you can provide all the excuses that you want; but i choose not to do so. Atlanta, N.O., Seattle, and a host of others have achieved immediate success after a coaching change.

So before you categorize someone else's opinion as being silly, you may wish to reflect on your own opinion otherwise it may be proven to be that what you categorize others as.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Very nicely done, however I'm not sold on Larry Grant as a lock. He's already been cut from this team once in the past and he couldn't hold down a starting job in a mostly very average Rams linebacking corps last season barring of course James Laurinaitis. I see Applewhite as more of a lock than Grant as he started all 16 games last season for a playoff caliber team.

To be accurate (and fair), he wasn't cut from the team. He was a 7th-round pick, put on the practice squad, and plucked off by the Rams to join their 53-man squad.

That said, Applewhite is an intriguing player and I think he makes the Niner squad, barring injury.
put it in the depth chart thread.
Share 49ersWebzone