There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ronald Johnson

So how do zoners fore see Ronald doing with the niners?

I good sign that he is good at returning punts. John Taylor once returned punts for the niners and did very well until he was moved to full time WR opposite the Goat, where Taylor was a quiet beast. Hoping as a late pick he'll have the surprise success of Marques Colston and as a small WR, he'll have the sucess of Steve Smith of the Panthers.

Haven't really paid attention to him in the USC games televised. What can any USC fans add about him. Like that he lives and breathes football. Seems he's like a pocession receiver in the highlights and person for the red zone maybe. Comments?
I like it, and welcome anyone who can bring speed, and most importantly work ethic!!
Summary

Ronald Johnson makes plays. He is a tremendous athlete, yet raw enough in some areas to develop. His quickness and elusiveness are 2 of his many qualities, as he always found himself behind defenders and found open field. His offense relied on him for big plays and he always came through. As tough as he is speedy, he has no problem going over the middle and absorbing hits. The return game is where his value rises. As a punt returner he is dangerous; oftentimes being one block away from 6 points. He explodes through holes and easily finds open space. Upper body strength and route running are both areas of where he must improve, as he has all the makings of a solid NFL slot receiver.

Speed

Excellent speed. His 40 time is not a real indication to his explosiveness, as seen in the return game, where he attacks holes and gets up field quickly. Johnson is more quick than fast, but will pull away from defenders. He is a very efficient runner; using perfect running form to make his speed look effortless. In time, with his tools, he will run a faster 40 yard dash.

Route Running/Separation

As Johnson can easily get separation, his routes can use some work. He tends to slow down before his cuts and even stand up a little. This allows defenders to break earlier and can quickly get into his back pocket, as he gets out of his cuts. His acceleration out of his cuts is very good, but because he draws defenders with his upper body movement prior, it seems like he is not sprinting out of them. Attention to his upper body movement will reveal how great his footwork is, as well.

Hands

Although he literally has small hands, his offense looks to them for big plays. Johnson understands proper hand placement and holds on to the ball with his strong hands. Bottom line: USC looked to him for big plays and Ronald Johnson did not disappoint.

Ronald Johnson
After the Catch

Here is where Johnson is really special. Always utilizing his quick steps to elude defenders in then find open field, Johnson is very explosive and productive after the catch. Excellent cuts and quick, precise moves makes him a very dangerous open-field threat.

Athleticism/Body Control

Johnson’s quickness and hands are his biggest attributes. Overall he is very athletic, as definitely seen in the return game, where he can dart in and out of traffic, elude tacklers and find green. This elite athleticism will aid him when he learns to improve the other parts of his game, such as, getting off the line and coming down with the ball with more consistency. Although his vertical may be average, his ability to make plays has hidden this weakness, but when improved, will add yet another tool to his arsenal.

Blocking

A definite area of improvement. Johnson’s lack of overall size and upper body strength, doesn’t allow him to routinely stop defenders. Although his hand placement and positioning is satisfactory, he just does not have the strength, and therefore the fight, to battle opponents.

Over the Middle

Another area of strength for Johnson. Very comfortable on slant, hook-in, or just plain in routes, he positions his body for impact and catches the ball. He doesn’t have the biggest, strongest frame, but uses what he has to make plays. This is nothing more that an excellent competitive spirit.

Durability

Johnson has had a few injuries during his career. Johnson missed spring practice in 2010 with elbow and wrist injuries. In 2009, he missed the first 5 games of the season with a broken collar bone.

Ronald Johnson
Potential

Johnson is a young, raw-in-some-areas receiver that can be taught what his game is missing. His explosion and quickness are both NFL ready, as he has the tools to develop to be a very productive slot receiver and returner on any roster. He has sure 3rd down, or “big play” hands and the quickness to make would-be tacklers miss.

from http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-ronald-johnson?amp&
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Summary

Ronald Johnson makes plays. He is a tremendous athlete, yet raw enough in some areas to develop. His quickness and elusiveness are 2 of his many qualities, as he always found himself behind defenders and found open field. His offense relied on him for big plays and he always came through. As tough as he is speedy, he has no problem going over the middle and absorbing hits. The return game is where his value rises. As a punt returner he is dangerous; oftentimes being one block away from 6 points. He explodes through holes and easily finds open space. Upper body strength and route running are both areas of where he must improve, as he has all the makings of a solid NFL slot receiver.

Speed

Excellent speed. His 40 time is not a real indication to his explosiveness, as seen in the return game, where he attacks holes and gets up field quickly. Johnson is more quick than fast, but will pull away from defenders. He is a very efficient runner; using perfect running form to make his speed look effortless. In time, with his tools, he will run a faster 40 yard dash.

Route Running/Separation

As Johnson can easily get separation, his routes can use some work. He tends to slow down before his cuts and even stand up a little. This allows defenders to break earlier and can quickly get into his back pocket, as he gets out of his cuts. His acceleration out of his cuts is very good, but because he draws defenders with his upper body movement prior, it seems like he is not sprinting out of them. Attention to his upper body movement will reveal how great his footwork is, as well.

Hands

Although he literally has small hands, his offense looks to them for big plays. Johnson understands proper hand placement and holds on to the ball with his strong hands. Bottom line: USC looked to him for big plays and Ronald Johnson did not disappoint.

Ronald Johnson
After the Catch

Here is where Johnson is really special. Always utilizing his quick steps to elude defenders in then find open field, Johnson is very explosive and productive after the catch. Excellent cuts and quick, precise moves makes him a very dangerous open-field threat.

Athleticism/Body Control

Johnson’s quickness and hands are his biggest attributes. Overall he is very athletic, as definitely seen in the return game, where he can dart in and out of traffic, elude tacklers and find green. This elite athleticism will aid him when he learns to improve the other parts of his game, such as, getting off the line and coming down with the ball with more consistency. Although his vertical may be average, his ability to make plays has hidden this weakness, but when improved, will add yet another tool to his arsenal.

Blocking

A definite area of improvement. Johnson’s lack of overall size and upper body strength, doesn’t allow him to routinely stop defenders. Although his hand placement and positioning is satisfactory, he just does not have the strength, and therefore the fight, to battle opponents.

Over the Middle

Another area of strength for Johnson. Very comfortable on slant, hook-in, or just plain in routes, he positions his body for impact and catches the ball. He doesn’t have the biggest, strongest frame, but uses what he has to make plays. This is nothing more that an excellent competitive spirit.

Durability

Johnson has had a few injuries during his career. Johnson missed spring practice in 2010 with elbow and wrist injuries. In 2009, he missed the first 5 games of the season with a broken collar bone.

Ronald Johnson
Potential

Johnson is a young, raw-in-some-areas receiver that can be taught what his game is missing. His explosion and quickness are both NFL ready, as he has the tools to develop to be a very productive slot receiver and returner on any roster. He has sure 3rd down, or “big play” hands and the quickness to make would-be tacklers miss.

from http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-ronald-johnson?amp&

awesome.
49ersalldaway-appreciate the cut and paste work, but was hoping for what peoples own personell assessment and feelings of seeing the person play. You know how you watch a game and something in the game(s) of college football makes you say wow, who is htat guy during the season. Where you like the way he does certain things.

Plus with little happening in the way of TC news, just like to see what peoples own feelings are, and get to see who has an eye or nose or feel of who make it big. Like who would have thought about Joe Montana or better yet John Taylor, Dwight Clark and Charles Haley!
CHAMPIONSHIP
I'm excited about this kid, reminds me a lot of Donald Driver.

With his work ethic & history with the coaching staff I wouldn't be surprised if he made an impact sooner rather than later. Then maybe we can trade Crabtree while he's still worth something.
Originally posted by GMniner805:

With his work ethic & history with the coaching staff I wouldn't be surprised if he made an impact sooner rather than later. Then maybe we can trade Crabtree while he's still worth something.

Why Donald?

his style of play most resembles steve smith and chad ochocinco

a little undersized (he needs to bulk up a bit) guy with great route running skills great hands and explosive after the catch

also he seems extremely suitable under the WCO
Can't hate on a guy named Ron John

a little undersized (he needs to bulk up a bit) guy with great route running skills great hands and explosive after the catch

Maybe Ochocinco and maybe Steve Smith USC but Driver is a very good comparision too.

Driver only put up 1,000 yards 6 straight seasons. He's just overlooked because he isn't a clown like Ochocinco or Steve Smith Car.

They're about the same size, late round picks, and both are better suited to be in the WCO.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 9, 2011 at 15:11:29 ]
I wasn't familiar with him coming out of college, but after doing some research on the guy, i'm excited about him being a 9er.

We need a slot WR that can make guys miss and hopefully he can be that guy.

[ Edited by 9ernation94 on Jun 9, 2011 at 15:13:13 ]
  • dwett
  • Veteran

That gets me excited. At worst he brings some competition to our WRs and that is never a bad thing.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I like it, and welcome anyone who can bring speed, and most importantly work ethic!!

Originally posted by WildBill:

Why Donald?

For one they are very close in size Ron at 6'1 190 & Don at 6' 195, both come from humble means off the field, obviously both are hard workers.

Both Being late round draft picks was mentioned.

When you watch them on tape you notice a similar ability to make guys miss along with great bursts of speed to gain separation from defenders on precision routes.

[ Edited by GMniner805 on Jun 9, 2011 at 18:31:13 ]