Don't wish harm on people.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skynet907:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by jrg:
Doesn't matter how enthusiastic about football he is if Alex Smith is throwing to him.

cool story bro

it would be a cooler story if Alex Smith wasn't alive.

cool story bro

not as cool as the story your grand children are going to tell about our epic Alex Smith quote tree's. They will be legendary, like Alex Smiths ability to suck at football.

cool story bro
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

I just wish Alex Smith would go away!

So do a lot of people, don't ay he is better off dead

seriously, the spamming of Alex Smith won't get me a warning? maybe the flaw needs more exposure.

seriously, the spamming of Alex Smith won't get me a warning? maybe the flaw needs more exposure.

I already warned you, that was the pm you got. Now I bant you. Later

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Summary

Ronald Johnson makes plays. He is a tremendous athlete, yet raw enough in some areas to develop. His quickness and elusiveness are 2 of his many qualities, as he always found himself behind defenders and found open field. His offense relied on him for big plays and he always came through. As tough as he is speedy, he has no problem going over the middle and absorbing hits. The return game is where his value rises. As a punt returner he is dangerous; oftentimes being one block away from 6 points. He explodes through holes and easily finds open space. Upper body strength and route running are both areas of where he must improve, as he has all the makings of a solid NFL slot receiver.

Speed

Excellent speed. His 40 time is not a real indication to his explosiveness, as seen in the return game, where he attacks holes and gets up field quickly. Johnson is more quick than fast, but will pull away from defenders. He is a very efficient runner; using perfect running form to make his speed look effortless. In time, with his tools, he will run a faster 40 yard dash.

Route Running/Separation

As Johnson can easily get separation, his routes can use some work. He tends to slow down before his cuts and even stand up a little. This allows defenders to break earlier and can quickly get into his back pocket, as he gets out of his cuts. His acceleration out of his cuts is very good, but because he draws defenders with his upper body movement prior, it seems like he is not sprinting out of them. Attention to his upper body movement will reveal how great his footwork is, as well.

Hands

Although he literally has small hands, his offense looks to them for big plays. Johnson understands proper hand placement and holds on to the ball with his strong hands. Bottom line: USC looked to him for big plays and Ronald Johnson did not disappoint.

Ronald Johnson
After the Catch

Here is where Johnson is really special. Always utilizing his quick steps to elude defenders in then find open field, Johnson is very explosive and productive after the catch. Excellent cuts and quick, precise moves makes him a very dangerous open-field threat.

Athleticism/Body Control

Johnson’s quickness and hands are his biggest attributes. Overall he is very athletic, as definitely seen in the return game, where he can dart in and out of traffic, elude tacklers and find green. This elite athleticism will aid him when he learns to improve the other parts of his game, such as, getting off the line and coming down with the ball with more consistency. Although his vertical may be average, his ability to make plays has hidden this weakness, but when improved, will add yet another tool to his arsenal.

Blocking

A definite area of improvement. Johnson’s lack of overall size and upper body strength, doesn’t allow him to routinely stop defenders. Although his hand placement and positioning is satisfactory, he just does not have the strength, and therefore the fight, to battle opponents.

Over the Middle

Another area of strength for Johnson. Very comfortable on slant, hook-in, or just plain in routes, he positions his body for impact and catches the ball. He doesn’t have the biggest, strongest frame, but uses what he has to make plays. This is nothing more that an excellent competitive spirit.

Durability

Johnson has had a few injuries during his career. Johnson missed spring practice in 2010 with elbow and wrist injuries. In 2009, he missed the first 5 games of the season with a broken collar bone.

Ronald Johnson
Potential

Johnson is a young, raw-in-some-areas receiver that can be taught what his game is missing. His explosion and quickness are both NFL ready, as he has the tools to develop to be a very productive slot receiver and returner on any roster. He has sure 3rd down, or “big play” hands and the quickness to make would-be tacklers miss.

from http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-ronald-johnson?amp&

awesome.

Sounds like a superstar in the making. In which round was he taken? 6th? Why did so many teams pass on him?

Please don't get me wrong. I don't want to be gloomy about the choice. I would love to see, Ronald becoming the success-story of the 2011 draft, but thes breakdowns (all of them), concentrate far too much on the positives and tend to overlook the negatives. At least that's my impression. Correct me, if I am wrong please.

Go Niners!!!
Originally posted by Toughniner:
Summary

Ronald Johnson makes plays. He is a tremendous athlete, yet raw enough in some areas to develop. His quickness and elusiveness are 2 of his many qualities, as he always found himself behind defenders and found open field. His offense relied on him for big plays and he always came through. As tough as he is speedy, he has no problem going over the middle and absorbing hits. The return game is where his value rises. As a punt returner he is dangerous; oftentimes being one block away from 6 points. He explodes through holes and easily finds open space. Upper body strength and route running are both areas of where he must improve, as he has all the makings of a solid NFL slot receiver.

Speed

Excellent speed. His 40 time is not a real indication to his explosiveness, as seen in the return game, where he attacks holes and gets up field quickly. Johnson is more quick than fast, but will pull away from defenders. He is a very efficient runner; using perfect running form to make his speed look effortless. In time, with his tools, he will run a faster 40 yard dash.

Route Running/Separation

As Johnson can easily get separation, his routes can use some work. He tends to slow down before his cuts and even stand up a little. This allows defenders to break earlier and can quickly get into his back pocket, as he gets out of his cuts. His acceleration out of his cuts is very good, but because he draws defenders with his upper body movement prior, it seems like he is not sprinting out of them. Attention to his upper body movement will reveal how great his footwork is, as well.

Hands

Although he literally has small hands, his offense looks to them for big plays. Johnson understands proper hand placement and holds on to the ball with his strong hands. Bottom line: USC looked to him for big plays and Ronald Johnson did not disappoint.

Ronald Johnson
After the Catch

Here is where Johnson is really special. Always utilizing his quick steps to elude defenders in then find open field, Johnson is very explosive and productive after the catch. Excellent cuts and quick, precise moves makes him a very dangerous open-field threat.

Athleticism/Body Control

Johnson’s quickness and hands are his biggest attributes. Overall he is very athletic, as definitely seen in the return game, where he can dart in and out of traffic, elude tacklers and find green. This elite athleticism will aid him when he learns to improve the other parts of his game, such as, getting off the line and coming down with the ball with more consistency. Although his vertical may be average, his ability to make plays has hidden this weakness, but when improved, will add yet another tool to his arsenal.

Blocking

A definite area of improvement. Johnson’s lack of overall size and upper body strength, doesn’t allow him to routinely stop defenders. Although his hand placement and positioning is satisfactory, he just does not have the strength, and therefore the fight, to battle opponents.

Over the Middle

Another area of strength for Johnson. Very comfortable on slant, hook-in, or just plain in routes, he positions his body for impact and catches the ball. He doesn’t have the biggest, strongest frame, but uses what he has to make plays. This is nothing more that an excellent competitive spirit.

Durability

Johnson has had a few injuries during his career. Johnson missed spring practice in 2010 with elbow and wrist injuries. In 2009, he missed the first 5 games of the season with a broken collar bone.

Ronald Johnson
Potential

Johnson is a young, raw-in-some-areas receiver that can be taught what his game is missing. His explosion and quickness are both NFL ready, as he has the tools to develop to be a very productive slot receiver and returner on any roster. He has sure 3rd down, or “big play” hands and the quickness to make would-be tacklers miss.

awesome.

Sounds like a superstar in the making. In which round was he taken? 6th? Why did so many teams pass on him?

Please don't get me wrong. I don't want to be gloomy about the choice. I would love to see, Ronald becoming the success-story of the 2011 draft, but thes breakdowns (all of them), concentrate far too much on the positives and tend to overlook the negatives. At least that's my impression. Correct me, if I am wrong please.

Go Niners!!!

Eh he was kind of inconsistent at USC, I'm not sure if he had a great connection with the QB. He is pretty fast but not blazing speed, and he's about 5'11''. But I really think the positives outweigh the negatives, and he will improve on the negatives like inconsistent route running and get even faster pretty quickly. He has a great work ethic.

Originally posted by Toughniner:
Summary

Speed

Route Running/Separation

Hands

Ronald Johnson
After the Catch

Athleticism/Body Control

Blocking

Over the Middle

Durability

Ronald Johnson
Potential

awesome.

Go Niners!!!

I hear you, man. Enough of the talk, I need to see what these cats are made of on the field. I sick of reading about workout warriors, practice MVPs and the always classic, projected breakout player of the year (cough*Alex Smith*cough). Maybe this is the year, but I've heard it all before. Dont tell me, show me....
rookie of the year
Originally posted by RonMexico:
rookie of the year

what a work ethic:

Johnson said he’s routinely been up until 2 a.m. recently cranking out his daily regimen of 300 sit-ups and 300 push-ups (fingertip push-ups to strengthen his hands), studying his playbook (he said he’s written so many notes in it he can barely make out the plays) and playing with his football.

“I like to see how long I can play with it and not let it hit the ground,” he said.

Johnson will throw his football behind his back. He’ll toss it up, let it fall below his waist and practice snatching it by the nose with one hand – anything to make catching it become “second nature.”

He said he’s been constantly throwing a football to himself during practices this week. His teammates have noticed and today, he said, they threw five footballs at him, firing one after another. He caught them all, he said, smiling.

Johnson (5-10, 185), who was projected as a mid-round draft pick, instead fell to the middle of the sixth round, the 24th wide receiver off the board.

He said his disappointing draft experience has only increased his drive.

“It gives me a lot of fuel because I do things right,” he said. “I do what I have to do to be considered the best and I’m not considered up there right now. So I’ll keep doing what I have to do so I can be the best.”

Press Dem
I'm optimistic about Johnson. He could be the beneficiary of an improved offense under Harbaugh and could be a steal considering we got him in the 6th.
Although there is a long way to go for him, in the limited training camp footage he seems to have the sharpest cuts of any of the other receivers. He was particularly noticeable in terms of shedding his defender. Hopefully, he can be a successful player.
Share 49ersWebzone