Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
crabtree is going to be our best wr

regardless if he works out with the team or not

dude held out till November and was still the leading WR. 2nd only to vernon overall on the team

last year he had career lows of receptions in games and had to deal with a changing cast of qbs, offensive coordinators and still was the leading WR and 2nd only to vernon overall on the team.

Wouldnt be surprised if crabtree shows up when Kapernick is the one throwing the ball.

He was the most targeted receiver by a large margin and yet came in at #2, and barely beat out Morgan for that spot.

I was talking yards not catches btw.

VD - Targetted 93 times, made 56 catches for 914 yards
Crabs - Targetted 101 times, made 55 catches for 741 yards
Morgan - Targetted 80 times, made 44 catches for 698 yards.

But yeah, when your 1st rounder can barely contribute more than your 6th rounder... he just flat out needs to get better.

We just flat out need to bring in some FA competition. Crabtree and Morgan are not keeping DCs up at night.

Exactly. They have 2 slow wr's with 0 athleticism. Not to mention Ginn who is fast but can't catch and scared to run routes. Long term effects of run 1st/play good defense built team. Having no speed at WR and CB are major problems.

To make matters worse at least 5/6 wr's were drafted later than Crabtree are simply outplaying him. He needs to step it up.

Nicks and Maclin are the only ones that are realy playin better and most of what Maclin has done was due to a great offense. Crabtree doesnt have the heart to become a great WR or the skill set.

I would add Mike Wallace, Kenny Britt, Johnny Knox, and Percy Harvin imo. Not to mention Austin collie but I think he's more of a system guy. That draft was loaded with wr talent.
Originally posted by FreddyG:

dude held out till November and was still the leading WR. 2nd only to vernon overall on the team

last year he had career lows of receptions in games and had to deal with a changing cast of qbs, offensive coordinators and still was the leading WR and 2nd only to vernon overall on the team.

Wouldnt be surprised if crabtree shows up when Kapernick is the one throwing the ball.

He was the most targeted receiver by a large margin and yet came in at #2, and barely beat out Morgan for that spot.

But yeah, when your 1st rounder can barely contribute more than your 6th rounder... he just flat out needs to get better.

We just flat out need to bring in some FA competition. Crabtree and Morgan are not keeping DCs up at night.

Exactly. They have 2 slow wr's with 0 athleticism. Not to mention Ginn who is fast but can't catch and scared to run routes. Long term effects of run 1st/play good defense built team. Having no speed at WR and CB are major problems.

To make matters worse at least 5/6 wr's were drafted later than Crabtree are simply outplaying him. He needs to step it up.

Nicks and Maclin are the only ones that are realy playin better and most of what Maclin has done was due to a great offense. Crabtree doesnt have the heart to become a great WR or the skill set.

I would add Mike Wallace, Kenny Britt, Johnny Knox, and Percy Harvin imo. Not to mention Austin collie but I think he's more of a system guy. That draft was loaded with wr talent.

well atleast he is playin better than the guy taken before him..DHB

lol

anyway i think crabtree can be better than all of those guys all he has to do is out soe offort in TC and just practice with the team its been 2 years (almost 3 ) and has yet to put in any effort at all
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

lol

anyway i think crabtree can be better than all of those guys all he has to do is out soe offort in TC and just practice with the team its been 2 years (almost 3 ) and has yet to put in any effort at all

I know it drives me crazy. It seems like the only game hes every really played hard in was the first Texans game.

What does a wide receiver need to become effective? And by the way I dont agree that Crabtree lacks either heart or the skill set. And other than 49er fans who havent got over their pique at his holdout there is little evidence, in view of the state of the team last year, to support this. With a line playing well together, which I am hoping for, and a qb handling the game rather better, which I am praying for, and a coaching staff coaching and playcalling significantly better, which I confidently expect, it will be interesting to see what he can do. Players rarely put it together at college and achieve the reputation he did, if they have no heart. I think he lacked coaching, support and the development every young player needs. Lets see how this year goes before we write him off.
Originally posted by English:

What does a wide receiver need to become effective? And by the way I dont agree that Crabtree lacks either heart or the skill set. And other than 49er fans who havent got over their pique at his holdout there is little evidence, in view of the state of the team last year, to support this. With a line playing well together, which I am hoping for, and a qb handling the game rather better, which I am praying for, and a coaching staff coaching and playcalling significantly better, which I confidently expect, it will be interesting to see what he can do. Players rarely put it together at college and achieve the reputation he did, if they have no heart. I think he lacked coaching, support and the development every young player needs. Lets see how this year goes before we write him off.

I stand by what I said. He will NEVER be great. That doesnt mean he cant be good. Do you think he could ever be a top-5 WR?(not of all time jus right now)
I'm confused. I thought Crabs flew into the bay last week? Why if he wasn't going to practice?

he hasn't been invited yet. see - crabs is a stickler with formalities, a bona-fide southern gent.
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
I'm confused. I thought Crabs flew into the bay last week? Why if he wasn't going to practice?

he hasn't been invited yet. see - crabs is a stickler with formalities, a bona-fide southern gent.

Originally posted by skynet907:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:

Originally posted by English:

I stand by what I said. He will NEVER be great. That doesnt mean he cant be good. Do you think he could ever be a top-5 WR?(not of all time jus right now)

How the hell do you know?

Quote:
Alex Smith: offensive minicamp in the works

Quarterback Alex Smith said today that plans are in the work for a minicamp-style practice involving the 49ers offensive players. Smith wouldn't give an exact date on when it would start, but he said the session would begin "shortly" and that the 49ers could have a number of sessions throughout the summer depending on how long the lockout drags on.

Asmith.jpg

The 49ers are learning new offensive and defensive playbooks, and Smith said the practices would focus on the most basic elements of that playbook. "Becoming familiar with the terminology, the formations, the motions, the concepts - things like that," he said. "So that whenever this (lockout) ends, you're not having to re-learn that."

Several teams have been holding similar sessions. The Patriots, for example, began a player-led minicamp today that attracted more than 40 players. A number of 49ers - roughly 15 or so - have been working out regularly at a South Bay location since the lockout began in March. Those sessions, however, mostly have involved weight-room training and staying in shape. Smith and a small group of receivers have worked on various aspects of the playbook together on a nearby practice field.

The upcoming camp promises to be more extensive.

Smith, who ironically is a free agent, will act as the de facto coach and essentially will run the minicamp. He said he didn't want to assemble the offensive players before now because he felt he wanted to master the playbook somewhat. "I didn't want guys to be here if it wasn't productive," Smith said. "I think there's a lot going around the league where it's a PR deal - 'Hey, we're working hard.' I don't know how efficient it is. I don't know how much guys are actually getting done. I wanted to have at least a good enough grasp on the offense so that when we did get together I could at least give these guys something and help them out."

He said the earliest practices will focus on basic elements such as calling plays, lining up correctly and snap counts. There also will be few, if any, offense vs. defense situations early on. "I've talked to the defensive guys - Justin (Smith) and Pat (Willis) - quite a bit," Smith said. "At this point, we're going to kind of keep it separate. They're on a different plan. That haven't had as much as the playbook as we've had."

In a normal offseason, the team would pay for the transportation and accommodations of young players and rookies. Smith said the 49ers veterans would share that responsibility for their upcoming camp. "Finding guys a place to stay, carpooling, picking them up, taking them home, getting them flights out - things like that," he said.

As far as veterans, Smith said that running back Frank Gore, who has recovered from last year's broken hip, plans to attend. He said he's also spoken on the phone with Michael Crabtree, one of the few receivers who has not spent time throwing with Smith this offseason. I asked why Crabtree hasn't been here to date.

"Great question," Smith said. "Asking the wrong guy."

-- Matt Barrows

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/06/alex-smith-offe.html#ixzz1O4DsedqU
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Quote:

Quarterback Alex Smith said today that plans are in the work for a minicamp-style practice involving the 49ers offensive players. Smith wouldn't give an exact date on when it would start, but he said the session would begin "shortly" and that the 49ers could have a number of sessions throughout the summer depending on how long the lockout drags on.

Asmith.jpg

The 49ers are learning new offensive and defensive playbooks, and Smith said the practices would focus on the most basic elements of that playbook. "Becoming familiar with the terminology, the formations, the motions, the concepts - things like that," he said. "So that whenever this (lockout) ends, you're not having to re-learn that."

Several teams have been holding similar sessions. The Patriots, for example, began a player-led minicamp today that attracted more than 40 players. A number of 49ers - roughly 15 or so - have been working out regularly at a South Bay location since the lockout began in March. Those sessions, however, mostly have involved weight-room training and staying in shape. Smith and a small group of receivers have worked on various aspects of the playbook together on a nearby practice field.

Smith, who ironically is a free agent, will act as the de facto coach and essentially will run the minicamp. He said he didn't want to assemble the offensive players before now because he felt he wanted to master the playbook somewhat. "I didn't want guys to be here if it wasn't productive," Smith said. "I think there's a lot going around the league where it's a PR deal - 'Hey, we're working hard.' I don't know how efficient it is. I don't know how much guys are actually getting done. I wanted to have at least a good enough grasp on the offense so that when we did get together I could at least give these guys something and help them out."

He said the earliest practices will focus on basic elements such as calling plays, lining up correctly and snap counts. There also will be few, if any, offense vs. defense situations early on. "I've talked to the defensive guys - Justin (Smith) and Pat (Willis) - quite a bit," Smith said. "At this point, we're going to kind of keep it separate. They're on a different plan. That haven't had as much as the playbook as we've had."

In a normal offseason, the team would pay for the transportation and accommodations of young players and rookies. Smith said the 49ers veterans would share that responsibility for their upcoming camp. "Finding guys a place to stay, carpooling, picking them up, taking them home, getting them flights out - things like that," he said.

As far as veterans, Smith said that running back Frank Gore, who has recovered from last year's broken hip, plans to attend. He said he's also spoken on the phone with Michael Crabtree, one of the few receivers who has not spent time throwing with Smith this offseason. I asked why Crabtree hasn't been here to date.

-- Matt Barrows

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/06/alex-smith-offe.html#ixzz1O4DsedqU

Leadership. Happy to see it. Like to see it continue.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Quote:

Asmith.jpg

-- Matt Barrows

Alex Smith may not be the best QB (far from it) out there, but he is all class! Considering how much he is going out of his way to accommodate a team he doesn't play for (yet) is pretty astounding.

I hope he can pull it together as a QB, if not he very well might become a coach. After all he's been introduced to numerous playbooks and schemes .
crabtree is starting to me off!!!!

nice to see what Alex is doing!!! hope he has a good season!!!

go niners
[ Edited by servegmo on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone