There are 134 users in the forums

Team Workouts Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It seems like every other team in the NFL is actually holding players organized work outs that have far better attendance than ours. I've heard that some have organized mini OTA's where the entire team showed up. WTF why can't our players be more committed to winning? Instead they are all off on their own doing their own thing. With a mentality like this we will never be winners.
Originally posted by backontop:
It seems like every other team in the NFL is actually holding players organized work outs that have far better attendance than ours. I've heard that some have organized mini OTA's where the entire team showed up. WTF why can't our players be more committed to winning? Instead they are all off on their own doing their own thing. With a mentality like this we will never be winners.

Sing brought in too many losers who talked really tough with him.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Sing brought in too many losers who talked really tough with him.

Great team players like Crabtree

[b]Sing brought in too many losers who talked really tough with him.

I honestly think Sing felt like he could motivate and inspire anyone. Maybe he could have, too bad his understanding of "x's and O's" went no further than hugs and kisses.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on May 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I honestly think Sing felt like he could motivate and inspire anyone. Maybe he could have, too bad his understanding of "x's and O's" went no further than hugs and kisses.

Yeah. He and Scotty mac kind of set this franchise back. Picks like Crabtree and Davis haven't worked out so far, and while I don't want to question the work ethic of these guys it sure seems like they arent exactly the most focused players. So we picked Crabtree and Davis and let guys like Brian Orakpo and Earl Thomas get away from us. If we had those 2 guys on our defense plus Willis, we might have a dominant defense. If we picked Bulaga(who grew up a 49ers fan I believe) over Davis we'd have a slightly less talented guy but we'd have someone who is way more technically sound and we'd have a guy who helped the Packers win a superbowl. Instead we wound up with a defense that's not good enough to make crucial stops and we have an offense that's talented but without discipline.

Sing and Mac pretty much took the exact OPPOSITE approach to the draft that Harbaugh and Baalke did. Harbaugh and Baalke put gold stars with players who seemed to love the game, although some of the players were still more raw IMO and could've been more ready to play. But it's an improvement over Sing/Mac strategy.

The only good first rounder these guys picked was Iupati who was a hard worker, talented guy, and technically sound. He came in and played well right away. Not too many picks from these guys have done anything good for us. Mike Iupati and Josh Morgan basically.
[ Edited by WillistheWall on May 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM ]

Yeah. He and Scotty mac kind of set this franchise back. Picks like Crabtree and Davis haven't worked out so far, and while I don't want to question the work ethic of these guys it sure seems like they arent exactly the most focused players. So we picked Crabtree and Davis and let guys like Brian Orakpo and Earl Thomas get away from us. If we had those 2 guys on our defense plus Willis, we might have a dominant defense. If we picked Bulaga(who grew up a 49ers fan I believe) over Davis we'd have a slightly less talented guy but we'd have someone who is way more technically sound and we'd have a guy who helped the Packers win a superbowl. Instead we wound up with a defense that's not good enough to make crucial stops and we have an offense that's talented but without discipline.

Sing and Mac pretty much took the exact OPPOSITE approach to the draft that Harbaugh and Baalke did. Harbaugh and Baalke put gold stars with players who seemed to love the game, although some of the players were still more raw IMO and could've been more ready to play. But it's an improvement over Sing/Mac strategy.

The only good first rounder these guys picked was Iupati who was a hard worker, talented guy, and technically sound. He came in and played well right away. Not too many picks from these guys have done anything good for us. Mike Iupati and Josh Morgan basically.

Co-signed...
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I am 100% a Vernon Davis fan, IMO the best TE in the league. f**k the fudge packer Buluga.
Originally posted by Chief:
I am 100% a Vernon Davis fan, IMO the best TE in the league. f**k the fudge packer Buluga.

Is Chief drunk again?
It's difficult to tell how good the draft picks are when the coaching is terrible. I liked Bulaga but he did have some health concerns. As far as being behind other teams as a group of men...you think having leaders like Singletary and Nolan for six years would have a better result?

While Singletary could preach and sometimes turn guys around, VD, he did not have any tangible experience in directing a football team; and as others have said, knew little about Xs and Os. Nolan was an organizer but knew little to nothing about working with the offense.

So, the 9ers have lacked a true leader, or group of leaders, for years and you can't expect the players to understand the importance unless they are mature and committed to the team. The group practicing is.

Lastly, it is arguable that these unofficial team practices do little except bond players. Harbaugh and this excellent group of coaches will do that once he gets them into camp.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 1, 2011 at 6:48 AM ]

Co-signed...

are we calling anthony davis who was what 20 yrs old last yr playing a tough position as not working out already??? yes he struggled but there were times as the season went on he showed promise, not ready to say he hasnt worked out. now crabtree i agree, i think he has tons of potential especially now with the wco harbaugh is gonna install but his f**king laziness and bs i dont need to play in preseason and i can workout alone in dallas pisses me off. so far 2 seasons in to me hes a lazy ass who doesnt work hard to unleash his potential.

weeks before the draft they were showing the show where rookies 1st get in the nfl and then there was another 1 and it had crabtree doing his so on so workout in dallas and all that fool does is take it easy and joking round

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Co-signed...

are we calling anthony davis who was what 20 yrs old last yr playing a tough position as not working out already??? yes he struggled but there were times as the season went on he showed promise, not ready to say he hasnt worked out. now crabtree i agree, i think he has tons of potential especially now with the wco harbaugh is gonna install but his f**king laziness and bs i dont need to play in preseason and i can workout alone in dallas pisses me off. so far 2 seasons in to me hes a lazy ass who doesnt work hard to unleash his potential.

weeks before the draft they were showing the show where rookies 1st get in the nfl and then there was another 1 and it had crabtree doing his so on so workout in dallas and all that fool does is take it easy and joking round

There is no doubt Davis and Crabs have raw talent, but so do the OLBs, DE and CB they will be facing every week. Raw talent may get you to the NFL, but it wont keep you there.

In other words, there is no doubt in my mind Davis can do it if he wants to, the question is, does he want to? Same with Crabtree.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 1, 2011 at 7:41 AM ]
Looks like Staley is now abandoning ship:

Quote:
@jstaley74 Joe Staley
Goin to workout in new jersey. U dislike going to check out new spots. Much rather be workin with our guys in San Jose. But gotta work

He and Justin Smith were the ones getting the already-small group of guys together. So now what??
crabtree is going to be our best wr

regardless if he works out with the team or not

dude held out till November and was still the leading WR. 2nd only to vernon overall on the team

last year he had career lows of receptions in games and had to deal with a changing cast of qbs, offensive coordinators and still was the leading WR and 2nd only to vernon overall on the team.

Wouldnt be surprised if crabtree shows up when Kapernick is the one throwing the ball.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Co-signed...

I agree, he progressed as the season went on. We should give him another season before we start stating that he "hasn't worked out". Also, I think people forget that he was, a 20yr old rookie, playing next to Chilo Rachal at one of the hardest positions.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Looks like Staley is now abandoning ship:

Quote:
@jstaley74 Joe Staley
Goin to workout in new jersey. U dislike going to check out new spots. Much rather be workin with our guys in San Jose. But gotta work

He and Justin Smith were the ones getting the already-small group of guys together. So now what??

Give me the address to the SJ spot and I'll be on-site ready to catch some footballs....
Share 49ersWebzone