Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ninertico:

Liking it!

Alex as a mentor is a scary thought.

he's a good guy and smart one, i don't see the issue

Would you really want to learn the game from a guy who:

a) Is still learning the game himself
b) Has limited experience
c) Still struggling to grasp the fundamentals of QB'ing?
d) Has never excelled at his job?
e) Has beaten only 1 team with a winning record outside the division?
f) Can't read a defense
g) Can't pick up the blitz
h) Doesn't believe in himself

Yes, he's a nice guy, a good guy...as a person, I think he's great. But you need more than that to be a mentor.

I'd much rather a guy like Hasselbeck... A guy who can teach Kaep how to read coverages, what the playoffs are like. What to expect in the Super Bowl. Tendencies from different opponents, how to prepare, how to look off safeties, how to win on the road, etc. Alex can't do any of this.

Those who can... do.

Those who can't... teach.

Smith is very smart, and your points don't really hold much water when it comes to coaching. Having 6 OC's has hindered him as a player but he has probably heard more football theory than any other QB in the league.

Alex has always known what he was "supposed" to do in an offense or on a play, his brain just isn't wired for him to do it in a game situation successfully. But coaches dont have that problem.
Carr with a dodgers hat... if you were actually an important part of this team id be pissed lol
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Liking it!

f) Can't read a defense

Yes, he's a nice guy, a good guy...as a person, I think he's great. But you need more than that to be a mentor.

I'd much rather a guy like Hasselbeck... A guy who can teach Kaep how to read coverages, what the playoffs are like. What to expect in the Super Bowl. Tendencies from different opponents, how to prepare, how to look off safeties, how to win on the road, etc. Alex can't do any of this.

Those who can... do.

Smith is very smart, and your points don't really hold much water when it comes to coaching. Having 6 OC's has hindered him as a player but he has probably heard more football theory than any other QB in the league.

Alex has always known what he was "supposed" to do in an offense or on a play, his brain just isn't wired for him to do it in a game situation successfully. But coaches dont have that problem.

Those who can't....can't always "teach". It's not a simple mathematical equation. I'm sure Alex can teach some things, but frankly, I wouldn't want him teaching my future franchiseQB anything.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Those who can't....can't always "teach". It's not a simple mathematical equation. I'm sure Alex can teach some things, but frankly, I wouldn't want him teaching my future franchiseQB anything.

Well, it sounds like he will be. Must be frustrating for you.

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Originally posted by fly15:

Liking it!

f) Can't read a defense

Those who can... do.

Well, perhaps you could explain what the alternatives are?

And that is the whole point.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Liking it!

f) Can't read a defense

Those who can... do.

Well, perhaps you could explain what the alternatives are?

And that is the whole point.

You can also say that Smith will teach them what not to do.
I'm confused. I thought Crabs flew into the bay last week? Why if he wasn't going to practice?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'm confused. I thought Crabs flew into the bay last week? Why if he wasn't going to practice?

One of a few things, either to f**k with peoples heads, meet his boyfriend and talk about silk pinstriped boxers, star in a Lady Gaga video or he is just a confused idiot.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

He came to attend the fashion show.
Alex is the future of this franchise..

Liking it!

f) Can't read a defense

Those who can... do.

Luckily you know far less than Harbaugh or Alex Smith about what it takes to be a QB or a mentor. I feel safe knowing that whatever skills Alex lacks, you are not even qualified to evaluate.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

thats a bee dude, try again

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

thats a bee dude, try again

Share 49ersWebzone