Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
See Ya Manny " I Cant get to the QB" Lawson

you wont be missed around here........

This

i'm down with yall I would take him over Haralson.

Has anybody ever people say Clay Matthews, Lamar Woodley, James Harrison, Shaun Phillips, Tamba Ali, or Orakpo are good in coverage? Nope b/c they doing their jobs and sacking the quarterback. Folks haven't seen a real sack artists in so long that, we are happy that a guy is good in coverage when we don't need him in coverage. We need him to sack the quarterback, and play the run.

Yeah im sorry but we have to erase the dbl standard for all players now. With Manny we have to be real, just like with VD. VD was the best blocking TE in the league over the past 2 years, but that wasnt what he was drafted for. Only now after years does he now get in on offense. And he still has some things to work on.

Manny is excellent in dropping into coverage, but in soo many games, we needed a rusher instead of an OLB dropping into the backfield. Our lack of pressure at QB, cost us a handful of games last year. Doesnt matter how many points your O does or doesnt score, because u cant stop the opposing team anyway.

So for the reason we drafted him, he just may well be in the Bust category. Which was, we drafted him to be a beast at sacking the Qb, not the best coverage line backer.

But hey, you never know, maybe Fangio will see sumthing in him, like supposedly Harbaugh does Alex
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Yea, I agree with many posters when saying that I don't think Manny Lawson is the first guy who's job Aldon Smith threatens.

Lawson is certainly not so bad that you'd just cut him. It's a matter of how much he is worth contractually.

Lawson hasn't been able to get the pass-rush going we'd hoped for, but he's the best OLB we have at everything else. Aldon's perceived weakness's lie in standing up and covering etc, and Lawson is the only OLB who has that as a strength.

I'm not even sure who I want to get rid of at OLB...(and many of you thought Miller had a shot at making the roster at OLB)

How many OLB's did we have on the active roster last year?

This

Lawson's leverage and technique setting the edge and ability to move in space are great skills for the OLB position, and skills that a fresh, raw, pass-rusher could learn from.

LOLB: Lawson, LaBoy, Gibson
ILB: Willis, Takeo, Bowman, Mckillop
ROLB: Haralson, Smith, Tukuafu

I just went down the line with each LB:

Lawson - Rushing the passer - Below Average, Setting the edge - Good/Great, Dropping into coverage - Good

Haralson - Rushing the passer - Average, Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Average

Brooks - Rushing the passer - Above Average, Setting the edge - Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

LaBoy - Rushing the passer - Good , Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

If Fangio and Baalke favor rushing the passer as a trait, than LaBoy stays as 3rd down rush. Lawson's skills in the other categories proves he's a good 1st and 2nd down LB, and he wont get exposed in any situation. It comes down to Brooks and Haralson for the last spot. I think Aldon Smith resembles Brooks way more than Haralson, making Brooks more expendable.

good stuff, if Lawson is going then Haralson should too
Originally posted by Trajik1:
I like Lawson I wouldn't mind getting rid of Haralson

Haralson is a stiff.. I would love to see him cut.

But hey, you never know, maybe Fangio will see sumthing in him, like supposedly Harbaugh does

What they should see is a crap scheme that so often hurt any chances of our boys getting to opposing QBs. Not saying that Lawson = Ware, but with our sissy CB cushions and QBs hitting us with easy underneath routes in under 3 seconds... or calling a 3 man rush and giving QBs all day to pick and choose as our coverage breaks down? These rushers of ours were tied at the ankles from the snap... had little chance to do their jobs effectively.

There's a reason a guy like TBC comes to us with 5 or so sacks as a backup for NE... then does nothing for SF in 2 years... then goes back to NE and tears it up as a rusher once again.

That reason is all about scheme... and ours was .
Originally posted by susweel:
They both need to go.
damn, lawson was making plays this year, i thought you guys wanted him back
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Bay_Area_Fan:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by luis1985:
Originally posted by YungAce:
I think we should keep Lawson for one more year (keep that tender active) until Aldon catches up/improves upon his run-stopping rhythm. Right now Lawson is a legit (3-4) run-stopping/coverage OLB, while Aldon Smith is a pure (3-4) pass-rushing OLB.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Originally posted by oldman9er:

But hey, you never know, maybe Fangio will see sumthing in him, like supposedly Harbaugh does

What they should see is a crap scheme that so often hurt any chances of our boys getting to opposing QBs. Not saying that Lawson = Ware, but with our sissy CB cushions and QBs hitting us with easy underneath routes in under 3 seconds... or calling a 3 man rush and giving QBs all day to pick and choose as our coverage breaks down? These rushers of ours were tied at the ankles from the snap... had little chance to do their jobs effectively.

There's a reason a guy like TBC comes to us with 5 or so sacks as a backup for NE... then does nothing for SF in 2 years... then goes back to NE and tears it up as a rusher once again.

That reason is all about scheme... and ours was .

This I can agree with! Let's see what Manny can do in this new scheme if he's brought back.

Besides someone mentioned double standards, if we can give a certain player many chances after not living up to his draft position and not label him a bust then why can't those same standards apply to Manny?

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Yea, I agree with many posters when saying that I don't think Manny Lawson is the first guy who's job Aldon Smith threatens.

Lawson is certainly not so bad that you'd just cut him. It's a matter of how much he is worth contractually.

Lawson hasn't been able to get the pass-rush going we'd hoped for, but he's the best OLB we have at everything else. Aldon's perceived weakness's lie in standing up and covering etc, and Lawson is the only OLB who has that as a strength.

I'm not even sure who I want to get rid of at OLB...(and many of you thought Miller had a shot at making the roster at OLB)

How many OLB's did we have on the active roster last year?

This

Lawson's leverage and technique setting the edge and ability to move in space are great skills for the OLB position, and skills that a fresh, raw, pass-rusher could learn from.

LOLB: Lawson, LaBoy, Gibson
ILB: Willis, Takeo, Bowman, Mckillop
ROLB: Haralson, Smith, Tukuafu

I just went down the line with each LB:

Lawson - Rushing the passer - Below Average, Setting the edge - Good/Great, Dropping into coverage - Good

Haralson - Rushing the passer - Average, Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Average

Brooks - Rushing the passer - Above Average, Setting the edge - Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

LaBoy - Rushing the passer - Good , Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

If Fangio and Baalke favor rushing the passer as a trait, than LaBoy stays as 3rd down rush. Lawson's skills in the other categories proves he's a good 1st and 2nd down LB, and he wont get exposed in any situation. It comes down to Brooks and Haralson for the last spot. I think Aldon Smith resembles Brooks way more than Haralson, making Brooks more expendable.

good stuff, if Lawson is going then Haralson should too

Thanks

The CBA will have a lot to do with where Lawson ends up. If FA remains status quo, then Lawson is tendered this year, and I would assume that the Niners would cut Brooks.

But if new FA rules are implemented, then Lawson will probably get more money somewhere else (see above, rarely gets exposed, good in space). Then keeping the remainder of our OLBs will be the focus.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Bay_Area_Fan:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by luis1985:
Originally posted by YungAce:

[ Edited by Chief on May 2, 2011 at 17:09:52 ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Basically. Haralson blows big time.
I'd like to see Lawson re-signed but I think the 49ers are going to have to make some tough choices in terms of their own FAs whenever the F that's allowed.

I just don't see the team being able to re-sign Franklin, Baas and Lawson. Franklin and Baas must be our top priorities and I suspect Lawson is pissed the 49ers didn't extend him when they did with Staley, Willis and VD. In other words someone will over pay for Lawson and we will probably have to overpay for Franklin.
I think if they let Lawson go it will be a big mistake.
Share 49ersWebzone