LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 178 users in the forums

49ers Likely Won't Try To Re-Sign LB Manny Lawson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
The 49ers expect the versatile Aldon Smith to help out in more than one place, but outside linebacker is his primary position.

Smith's arrival could signal Manny Lawson's departure via free agency. Lawson, a first-round choice in 2006, has been solid, but not a standout (except on special teams, where he can be a dominant force). Lawson, like Aaron Curry in Seattle and Levi Brown in Arizona, gets measured in relation to his draft status.

Link
Originally posted by VDSF:
The 49ers expect the versatile Aldon Smith to help out in more than one place, but outside linebacker is his primary position.

Smith's arrival could signal Manny Lawson's departure via free agency. Lawson, a first-round choice in 2006, has been solid, but not a standout (except on special teams, where he can be a dominant force). Lawson, like Aaron Curry in Seattle and Levi Brown in Arizona, gets measured in relation to his draft status.

Link

Wouldn't the 49ers have to rescind the tender we gave Lawson?
Thank God. Glad to get this so called 'beast' off this team. Most overrated player on the Zone.
Doesn't seem like you would tender someone you don't want to keep. I'd like to see Smith and Lawson starting at OLB next year. Better than Smith and Haralson.
I don't think they withdraw the tender. That would just create another hole.

Lawson is only going to be back for the one year, pending a monumental season, and we will replace him either with a pick at OLB that we've yet to make in this draft.. OR.. with Navorro Bowman or a pick next year.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 30, 2011 at 00:57:49 ]
I like Lawson I wouldn't mind getting rid of Haralson
Originally posted by Trajik1:
Originally posted by YungAce:
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Exactly. Keep Lawson, cut Haralson. Sign Matt Roth in free agency. Re-sign Travis La Boy to compete with Gibson for the final roster spot.

OLB: Brooks/A. Smith/La Boy
OLB: Lawson/Roth/Gibson
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
We'll have to see what happens with RFA rules this offseason (when/if there is one) before we'll know Lawson's fate.

Anyway... Aldon Smith has a completely different skill set. Why would he impact Lawson?

All of our OLBs are inconsistent at best when rushing the passer. Why do you think we drafted Aldon Smith in the first place?

I'm pretty sure Aldon is going to play on the weak side, too. Again, no impact on Lawson, who plays the strong side.

Nothing has changed. Same scenario from before the pick.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by VDSF:

Link

Wouldn't the 49ers have to rescind the tender we gave Lawson?

Currently I believe the answer is yes.

IMO you keep that tender on Lawson and give him every opportunity to make the team, if you have to cut him in/after camp no biggie. But Ghost as you know competition is a good thing and it wouldn't hurt to let the kid compete for a spot.
Originally posted by luis1985:
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by luis1985:

They both need to go.