LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 161 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Cully played great last night. Showed great speed and coverage, plus great ball skills and fearless tackling.

Peterson looked bad, missed assignments, very poor coverage on Crabs--although Crabs was on fire--and only one good tackle.

Lots of other great stuff for the Niners, but the comparison of Culliver and Peterson as CBs was interesting to watch, and it was amazing to see how extremely well Culliver performed.
I'm surprised the webzone hasn't seen this coming for awhile. I've been singing his praises ever since his rookie year when he neutralized CJ. Our defensive gameplan has been to throw him on the other teams best WR and just worry about everything else. Impressive.
Aldon Smith , Navarro Bowman, and Chris Culliver should keep this defense elite for years to come.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:
Aldon Smith , Navarro Bowman, and Chris Culliver should keep this defense elite for years to come.

Now we just need a DE to anchor that position to compliment the next generation of our defense

I'm seriously buying a Culliver jersey for christmas. He's a beast.
Originally posted by sfout:
Cully lit it up last night. Three tackles, Got that INT on that hail mary, and FIVE (5) Pass defensed!

That's a 1/2 a season for a lot of DBs and a whole season for some.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM ]
Cully is getting to be like Tarrell Brown at the end of last year. You just see him defend the pass going towards his way more often than not. Pretty soon we will see him instead of knocking them down, catching one or 2 for INTs.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
I'm surprised the webzone hasn't seen this coming for awhile. I've been singing his praises ever since his rookie year when he neutralized CJ. Our defensive gameplan has been to throw him on the other teams best WR and just worry about everything else. Impressive.

I've said this a few times and would like to add that this dude plays with that kind of passion (like Steve Smith but a CB). The athletic leaping play he made in the endzone last night was pretty sick.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Cully lit it up last night. Three tackles, Got that INT on that hail mary, and FIVE (5) Pass defensed!

That's a 1/2 a season for a lot of DBs and a whole season for some.

After that game Cully has 10 for the season so far, he finished last season with 7.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

I've said this a few times and would like to add that this dude plays with that kind of passion (like Steve Smith but a CB). The athletic leaping play he made in the endzone last night was pretty sick.

Agree. That was completely awesome how he was able to extend out as he was turning and leaping. I seriously thought he was going to bring that ball down for a one-handed INT in the endzone. This kid just keeps getting better each and every week. His jersey is on my list right after Aldon Smith's
  • sfout
  • Veteran
From NFL.com Power Rankings.....

Alex Smith's night (18-for-19, 232 yards passing and three touchdowns) was the best performance of his career. Perhaps lost in Smith's amazing night, and definitely lost among all the studs on defense, was the play of second-year cornerback Chris Culliver. Is it just me, Niner fans, or is this guy pretty darn good? Hit me up @Harrison_NFL if I'm overrating Culliver, but he's more effective than Carlos Rogers, right?

Cully getting noticed by the pundits now!

Cully getting noticed by the pundits now!

nice.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Culliver is a beast and far exceeding my expectations. Some of the plays he made were straight up ridiculous
CB's need to play tight and physical and jump some routes like last year esp. when we blitz. Rogers/Brown are playing lazy IMHO, still playing way off WR's at times...but Culliver has been playing both physical and aggressive and he's making the plays.

QBR against Culliver (28.7), Brown (87.6) & Rogers (92.4). Play tighter boys and trust your front 7 and your own skill set if they don't get there...do this and you can jump some routes and get INT's like last year.
Originally posted by NCommand:
CB's need to play tight and physical and jump some routes like last year esp. when we blitz. Rogers/Brown are playing lazy IMHO, still playing way off WR's at times...but Culliver has been playing both physical and aggressive and he's making the plays.

QBR against Culliver (28.7), Brown (87.6) & Rogers (92.4). Play tighter boys and trust your front 7 and your own skill set if they don't get there...do this and you can jump some routes and get INT's like last year.

Now that stat is really impressive, but I would say that it's slightly inflated because Rogers and Brown generally face the #1s and #2s. But still, I would say Cully has been playing the best of the three.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Now that stat is really impressive, but I would say that it's slightly inflated because Rogers and Brown generally face the #1s and #2s. But still, I would say Cully has been playing the best of the three.

That is impressive. Rogers slides inside to cover the slot quite a but, which is why we occassionally saw Cully matched up on Fitgerald.
I'd be interested in seeing how many times each of them were targeted.
Share 49ersWebzone