LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 459 users in the forums

Round 2, #36, the San Francisco 49ers selects Colin Kaepernick (QB) Nevada

Shop Find 49ers gear online
regardless of what some feel about which QB we picked this is showing that the new regime is serious about taking care of the biggest problems. No more picks that make no sense like Balmer. Balke is drafting good players to fit huge needs and is setting this team up well for the future.
Colin Kaepernick Scouting Report
By Greg Cox

Strengths:
Leadership qualities
Ideal height
Highly productive runner
Evasive with excellent speed
Lots of experience
Tremendous athlete
Good arm strength
Very hard worker and intelligent

Weaknesses:
Needs more work on accuracy, especially deep accuracy
Delivery issues (windup) partially due to height
Has to adjust from Pistol offense
Must go through more progressions at pro level
Frame might lead to durability concerns
Lacks size to rid himself of tacklers
Ball security needs improvement
Played mostly against inferior competition

Summary: Colin Kaepernick was remarkably consistent during his four years at Nevada. His touchdown passes were 19, 22, 20 and 21. He ran for 1,100 or more yards in each of his final three seasons. The passing yards were the only exception with less production in 2007 and 2009, but even against mostly WAC opponents he only threw 24 interceptions in 1,271 attempts. He also greatly improved his accuracy to 65 percent as a senior.

The leadership factor weighs heavily into his evaluation and although the second round is littered with failures, he might be an exception. Teams have to love that he might have had a future in baseball (he was drafted by the Cubs) yet stuck with football which clearly illustrates his passion for football. That's good because his mechanics need work.
San Francisco 49ers 49ers

Listen to @Kaepernick10's conference call with the #49ers media shortly after being selected http://bit.ly/kkoHhP #SFdraft
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Terrible pick, the 49ers blew it

Why not trade up for Dalton??

Dude, why didn't you tell Jim and Trent? Dammit, you could have prevented them from making this huge mistake...
Originally posted by b9er37:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by b9er37:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers made a solid pick, anyone know what they gave up to move ahead by 10 spots?

They swapped 2nd round picks and they gave up a 4th and 5th rounders.

I'm surprised they gave up so much to get this guy. Seems desperate. Scouting reports say he is very raw and a development project. Now, maybe in the hands of Harbaugh that will pay big dividends a couple years down the line, but that seems like an awfully steep price. All we needed, IMO, is an accurate passer who can distribute the ball. This guy is one of those runner/passer hybrids.

He is an accurate passer with very good arm strength. The only guy with a higher ceiling than Kaepernick at QB was Cam Newton, but Newton also has more bust potential. I am very happy with this pick and giving up a 4th and 5th isn't too much to pay for a potential franchise QB. If he wasn't a QB, I might question the trade-up, but this was obviously a huge need and, like I said, I'm almost positive Arizona was going to take him with the next pick.

Well, I hope you're right about that, but the ESPN breakdown is not as glowing. Strong leadership, strong arm, yes. But his accuracy is ranked average and he is ranked below average in intelligence/decision making, citing that he comes from the Pistol offense in the WAC that has very simplistic reads.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/26167/colin-kaepernick

People care what ESPN says?

walter football said teh same thing

Yea he sucks... Look at the QB rating on the page posted.

I'm hopeful about this pick, but I don't think the QB rating of a guy in the freaking WAC tells you anything about how good he is.

If I remember he kicked the sh*t out of Cal and BC who both were supposed to have top notch defenses.

He did. If Jim wants to pin his QB whisperer reputation on Colin then you know he feels that his problems are coach-able and his potential is through the roof.

It's not like he fell to them, they WANTED him just like the cards probably did and the raiders so they made sure they got him.

JH has way more knowledge than anyone here about QB's so for the haters...STFU and enjoy the ride.

[ Edited by 5280High on Apr 29, 2011 at 16:25:32 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Good pick.................
Colin Kaepernick Scouting Report
By Greg Cox

Strengths:
Leadership qualities
Ideal height
Highly productive runner
Evasive with excellent speed
Lots of experience
Tremendous athlete
Good arm strength
Very hard worker and intelligent

Weaknesses:
Needs more work on accuracy, especially deep accuracy
Delivery issues (windup) partially due to height
Has to adjust from Pistol offense
Must go through more progressions at pro level
Frame might lead to durability concerns
Lacks size to rid himself of tacklers
Ball security needs improvement
Played mostly against inferior competition

Summary: Colin Kaepernick was remarkably consistent during his four years at Nevada. His touchdown passes were 19, 22, 20 and 21. He ran for 1,100 or more yards in each of his final three seasons. The passing yards were the only exception with less production in 2007 and 2009, but even against mostly WAC opponents he only threw 24 interceptions in 1,271 attempts. He also greatly improved his accuracy to 65 percent as a senior.

The leadership factor weighs heavily into his evaluation and although the second round is littered with failures, he might be an exception. Teams have to love that he might have had a future in baseball (he was drafted by the Cubs) yet stuck with football which clearly illustrates his passion for football. That's good because his mechanics need work.
interesting prospect...who would you compare him to in the league today?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Love the pick!

This is what Harbaugh saw:

Quick release, strong arm, accurate, and mobile. Sit him a year and he will ball.

Very impressive! Very...

One question I have is if that is a fast release compare to other QBs? And if it is, maybe this release time is why no one asked him about the possibility of changing his release.
Originally posted by socalniner:

a little bit of rodgers, brees, and brady mixed into one.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Funny thing is I called this pick months ago, but I just said because I thought he had cool name.

Funny how things work out
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Looks/plays like Randall Cunningham, in my opinion

but honestly probably like a Vince Young, but a lot more stable between the ears.
There's always some haters out there, but I am glad to have him and especially because Harbaugh can develop QB's. Kap has more tools than any other QB in the draft.

Alex Smith? ROFLMAO! JK
Share 49ersWebzone