Originally posted by b9er37:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers made a solid pick, anyone know what they gave up to move ahead by 10 spots?

They swapped 2nd round picks and they gave up a 4th and 5th rounders.

I'm surprised they gave up so much to get this guy. Seems desperate. Scouting reports say he is very raw and a development project. Now, maybe in the hands of Harbaugh that will pay big dividends a couple years down the line, but that seems like an awfully steep price. All we needed, IMO, is an accurate passer who can distribute the ball. This guy is one of those runner/passer hybrids.

He is an accurate passer with very good arm strength. The only guy with a higher ceiling than Kaepernick at QB was Cam Newton, but Newton also has more bust potential. I am very happy with this pick and giving up a 4th and 5th isn't too much to pay for a potential franchise QB. If he wasn't a QB, I might question the trade-up, but this was obviously a huge need and, like I said, I'm almost positive Arizona was going to take him with the next pick.

Well, I hope you're right about that, but the ESPN breakdown is not as glowing. Strong leadership, strong arm, yes. But his accuracy is ranked average and he is ranked below average in intelligence/decision making, citing that he comes from the Pistol offense in the WAC that has very simplistic reads.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/26167/colin-kaepernick

People care what ESPN says?

walter football said teh same thing

Yea he sucks... Look at the QB rating on the page posted.

I'm hopeful about this pick, but I don't think the QB rating of a guy in the freaking WAC tells you anything about how good he is.
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
49ers were verry active on Kaepernick. Explored options in late 1st round, and also spoke to NE and BUF today. They got their man at pick 36
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Horrible pick.
Originally posted by theginz2004:
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
49ers were verry active on Kaepernick. Explored options in late 1st round, and also spoke to NE and BUF today. They got their man at pick 36

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
49ers made a solid pick, anyone know what they gave up to move ahead by 10 spots?

I'm surprised they gave up so much to get this guy. Seems desperate. Scouting reports say he is very raw and a development project. Now, maybe in the hands of Harbaugh that will pay big dividends a couple years down the line, but that seems like an awfully steep price. All we needed, IMO, is an accurate passer who can distribute the ball. This guy is one of those runner/passer hybrids.

He is an accurate passer with very good arm strength. The only guy with a higher ceiling than Kaepernick at QB was Cam Newton, but Newton also has more bust potential. I am very happy with this pick and giving up a 4th and 5th isn't too much to pay for a potential franchise QB. If he wasn't a QB, I might question the trade-up, but this was obviously a huge need and, like I said, I'm almost positive Arizona was going to take him with the next pick.

Well, I hope you're right about that, but the ESPN breakdown is not as glowing. Strong leadership, strong arm, yes. But his accuracy is ranked average and he is ranked below average in intelligence/decision making, citing that he comes from the Pistol offense in the WAC that has very simplistic reads.

I'm hopeful about this pick, but I don't think the QB rating of a guy in the freaking WAC tells you anything about how good he is.

If I remember he kicked the sh*t out of Cal and BC who both were supposed to have top notch defenses.
Originally posted by bfree:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I like him but it pisses me off that we spent that much to trade up for him and he's not even going to help us this year.

A fourth and a fifth? Really? U mad about that?

Yes because it was only to move up 9 spots.

4 + 5 = 9 it is simple math.

LMAO hahahaha
Was pissed at first (kind of like with the Smith pick), but it's starting to make more and more sense to me. His skills are Vick-like and was a much better passer and even runner in college, albeit against weaker competition.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by bfree:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I like him but it pisses me off that we spent that much to trade up for him and he's not even going to help us this year.

A fourth and a fifth? Really? U mad about that?

Yes because it was only to move up 9 spots.

4 + 5 = 9 it is simple math.

LMAO hahahaha

#WINNING!
#49ers QB @Kaepernick10 is a 6-foot-5, 233-pound quarterback who ran a 4.53, 40-yard dash. He can also throw a baseball 95 mph. #SFdraft
Originally posted by PTulini:
#49ers QB @Kaepernick10 is a 6-foot-5, 233-pound quarterback who ran a 4.53, 40-yard dash. He can also throw a baseball 95 mph. #SFdraft

he also had 2 no hitters as a HS baseball pitcher, one when battling pneumonia.

stop that 9 spots s**t...acc to the draft value table, we lost about 10 points. thats nothing.
like little children

If I remember he kicked the sh*t out of Cal and BC who both were supposed to have top notch defenses.

Completed 10-15 against Cal. In college you run first, in the NFL you pass first.

Colin Kaepernick Scouting Report
By Greg Cox

Strengths:
Leadership qualities
Ideal height
Highly productive runner
Evasive with excellent speed
Lots of experience
Tremendous athlete
Good arm strength
Very hard worker and intelligent

Weaknesses:
Needs more work on accuracy, especially deep accuracy
Delivery issues (windup) partially due to height
Has to adjust from Pistol offense
Must go through more progressions at pro level
Frame might lead to durability concerns
Lacks size to rid himself of tacklers
Ball security needs improvement
Played mostly against inferior competition

Summary: Colin Kaepernick was remarkably consistent during his four years at Nevada. His touchdown passes were 19, 22, 20 and 21. He ran for 1,100 or more yards in each of his final three seasons. The passing yards were the only exception with less production in 2007 and 2009, but even against mostly WAC opponents he only threw 24 interceptions in 1,271 attempts. He also greatly improved his accuracy to 65 percent as a senior.

The leadership factor weighs heavily into his evaluation and although the second round is littered with failures, he might be an exception. Teams have to love that he might have had a future in baseball (he was drafted by the Cubs) yet stuck with football which clearly illustrates his passion for football. That's good because his mechanics need work.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

I guarantee that this guy was the guy all along the Niners were targeting. You don't wait for someone else (Like the Tards) to draft the guy you covet in a position of need. I love the pick and don't mind the trade to get him.

You mean like we did in the 1st round when we watched those same Tards draft Patrick Peterson?
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Horrible pick.
But could a simple formula have warned us of Russell's lack of NFL readiness?

Call it the Rule of 26-27-60.

Here is the gist of it: If an NFL prospect scores at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, starts at least 27 games in his college career and completes at least 60 percent of his passes, there's a good chance he will succeed at the NFL level.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html#ixzz1KxOWPijm

Kapernick: 37 on wonderlic, 47 starts, and 58.2% completion

Share 49ersWebzone