There are 152 users in the forums

Harbaugh channels Walsh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Are you guys kidding me? You agree with this article? Smith didn't get a chance to play with the OL playing like it did. The Saints blitzed the whole time and we continued to play like it was a preseason game. They didn't change anything at all on offense, didn't show anything new. NO played D like it was regular season, and we just played a preseason offense... Before you all jump off the wagon this early and listen to Cohn and his BS preseason analysis, maybe you should sit back, drink a beer and wait for Sept 11th; then make a full judgment.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Are you guys kidding me? You agree with this article? Smith didn't get a chance to play with the OL playing like it did. The Saints blitzed the whole time and we continued to play like it was a preseason game. They didn't change anything at all on offense, didn't show anything new. NO played D like it was regular season, and we just played a preseason offense... Before you all jump off the wagon this early and listen to Cohn and his BS preseason analysis, maybe you should sit back, drink a beer and wait for Sept 11th; then make a full judgment.

I don't think there is a lot of agreement w/this thread, just a couple of loud voices. There will always be Chicken Little fans, you just have to step around them so you don't get any on you (it's tough to get out of the tread in your shoes)
One: I'm glad the Saints blitzed like they did. We've seen how we handle it(or don't), and it gives the coaches and players specifics to work on.
Two: Frank ran really well.
Three: The defense stopped one of the best offenses in the nation cold. Maybe they were playing a little vanilla, but we were without a few of our normal starters, as well.
Four: Plays seemed to get in on time. Now, I know that this is kind of a small thing, but it hurt us last year, and there was some discussion about the transition from using hand signals(college) to using the radio(pro). Didn't see the game, but I don't believe there were any delay penalties.

In my opinion, the preseason is for figuring out what works, and identifying what doesn't so that you can work on it and be prepared for the regular season games. The first preseason game is simply the baseline that the second game is compared to. Also, as much fun as it would have been to have the team march all over the Saints, I'd have to admit that some part of me would have thought it was smoke and mirrors. I've seen the Niners dominate preseason games before, and it didn't translate to the season. I'd much rather see a problem in one game, and then see it addressed by the next.

As far as the elder Cohn goes: I got no problem with a negative assessment of my team, especially when they showed some weaknesses. That's the job of a journalist, to give their honest assessment and opinion. However, where I do take umbrage is when I feel like I'm being talked down to, and when the journalist seems to revel in the delivery of his bad news. The facts are the facts, but it's the delivery that makes him sound like a jackass.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

I don't think there is a lot of agreement w/this thread, just a couple of loud voices. There will always be Chicken Little fans, you just have to step around them so you don't get any on you (it's tough to get out of the tread in your shoes)

For real. This is the free agency panic revisited.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
So, Harbaugh has said all along that he would not hand any job to a player, they had to earn it. Now he says that he will not hand any job to a player, they had to earn it...but this is news? Now there is a controversy?

Sadly conceived article as he accused Harbaugh of thinking he could just show up and win in the NFL. I have seen nothing that indicates Harbaugh is delusional. Team played poorly on offense after twelve days of practice. CK played the first week of practice as the #1 QB and Smith had a week. CK played like a rookie and Smith played like Brees, poorly...what do we take from that? Nothing.

The comparison with Walsh was odd. Walsh used the preseason to perfect timing and basic play. He never tipped his hand even when other coaches tried to show him up in preseason. So Harbaugh seems to be doing exactly the same.

Nicely worded, sir. Well-played

Thank you! If there were a bowing smiley it would be here!
Originally posted by brucesf49:
I won't even bother reading his article. I stopped with his crap some time ago now. How about I just say this. New staff, new offense, only 12 days of practice and instillation (7 for Alex), no game planning, Snyder starting at C for first time....etc, etc...

we all should have known it was goin to be ugly but instead everyone wants to freak the F out. I knew I should avoid the zone forum for the WHOLE preseason.

Yup.
I should, but I won't...
So, Harbaugh has said all along that he would not hand any job to a player, they had to earn it. Now he says that he will not hand any job to a player, they had to earn it...but this is news? Now there is a controversy?

Sadly conceived article as he accused Harbaugh of thinking he could just show up and win in the NFL. I have seen nothing that indicates Harbaugh is delusional. Team played poorly on offense after twelve days of practice. CK played the first week of practice as the #1 QB and Smith had a week. CK played like a rookie and Smith played like Brees, poorly...what do we take from that? Nothing.

The comparison with Walsh was odd. Walsh used the preseason to perfect timing and basic play. He never tipped his hand even when other coaches tried to show him up in preseason. So Harbaugh seems to be doing exactly the same.

Nicely worded, sir. Well-played

Thank you! If there were a bowing smiley it would be here!

I'd recommend , , , , , or even or in lieu of a bow, depending on your mood.

Too early for so howdy! ...and

Too early for so howdy! ...and

never too early for on a Sunday. The last couple of years, I try to have a little buzz on before kickoff on the 10AM East Coast games. Alcohol blocks pain receptors.
never too early for on a Sunday. The last couple of years, I try to have a little buzz on before kickoff on the 10AM East Coast games. Alcohol blocks pain receptors.

LOL!

Harbaugh apologists and 49er apologists, like the guy who did color on the TV broadcast, tell us the 49ers had only 12 practices or something like that, so requiring competence of them is unfair and gee whiz just plain un-American.

What terrible writing.

Go away, Cohn.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Harbaugh apologists and 49er apologists, like the guy who did color on the TV broadcast, tell us the 49ers had only 12 practices or something like that, so requiring competence of them is unfair and gee whiz just plain un-American.

What terrible writing.

Go away, Cohn.

Yup, as if there's a need to apologize for Harbaugh . . .
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

What terrible writing.

Go away, Cohn.

Yup, as if there's a need to apologize for Harbaugh . . .

or to apologize for the 49ers, as if they are a dictator or corrupt politician. They're a god damned football team. You're either a fan or you're not.

also, is it so hard to look up the name of the guy who did the commentary on TV? Or to just f**king remember it from two days ago? Or to look up, or remember, how many practices there have been?

and un-American. Good lord.

He was delusional when he retained Solari to make the O-Line better...otherwise, give him a break.
Nothing much to say. I think he hit it on the head.
Share 49ersWebzone