• Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by PTulini:
This was my response...

Quote:
The great Bill Walsh was a combined 8-24 during his first 2 years with the 49ers. It wasn't until the end of his second year and into his third that things really began to click. As much as you want to be Debbie Downer, the real fans know that we have to give Harbaugh time to build this team his way. As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

that is an excuse for poor performance, because every BAD coach will also start the same way. It's back to the "Einstein got F's in science. My son get's F's in science. Therefore, my son may be the next Einstein" logic again.

you are right. getting smashed in a preseason game is irrefutable proof that Harbaugh is a bad coach and we are a bad team. fire them all now, blow it up!

for the last 6 months, you've been responding to my posts exactly like another poster did for a few years as a part time job..... taking something I didn't say or extrapolating something I did say to the point of ridiculous and then embedding it in a response dripping with sarcasm. what's up with that, brah?

You know that's not what I said. What frustrates me is when fans not only tolerate but embrace ineptitude by drawing comparisons to super stars that were inept early on, as if that somehow justifies ineptitude, knowing that 99.9999999% of the time, ineptitude is not later followed by genius. It's the Einstein example, I don't know how to make it any more clear than that. It may be totally normal for us to lay an egg in that first preseason game, but I'll be damned if I'll sit back while someone justifies three bad seasons to come because some other niner team followed that up with a superbowl. It's like welcoming cancer because you might be the next Lance Armstrong.

just chalk it up to you being a glass half empty guy and move on. Harbaugh is who I wanted for this job in October. When he got hired, I knew 8 years of garbage was not going to be instantly transformed. It will take time. S**t, it might even take this entire season. If thats too long for you, well I guess thats too bad. Just enjoy the fuel of negativity while it's still plentiful, because it's running out. It took Harbaugh a few years to make a success out of the pitiful, perennial bottom dwelling program that was Stanford football, who when he took over had no core of talent, nothing. Considering the ridiculous recruiting standards, the transformation of that program is a little more than admirable. With the 49ers, he has strong pieces in which to start work. It will take a little time, but it will happen.

There is a track record here, and it must be acknowledged.

I once got a new a*****e torn during a presentation I made to management back in 1999. I made some org changes and started new strategies and called it a "win". They tore me apart because they said "it's not a win until you demonstrate results." I never forgot that. Don't ever forget, great speeches, great intentions, previous track record of winning, loads of talent, and everything else you can think of don't mean anything. All that matters is our W/L record. We have an unproven NFL HC (whom I very much support, but that doesn't change the facts) and a proven loser at QB. This isn't about half glass full or empty, it's about getting excited about RESULTS on the field, in real games, in situations that matter (Smith lighting it up in garbage time doesn't get me excited, for instance). Show me some W's, and I'll be a half glass full kind of guy. My optimism is based on results, not on faith. I don't tolerate poor play and chalk it up to excuses. I doubt Eddie D did either. You either got results or you were promptly shown the door. We need to have the same attitude as fans.
[ Edited by Shaj on Aug 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
This was my response...

The great Bill Walsh was a combined 8-24 during his first 2 years with the 49ers. It wasn't until the end of his second year and into his third that things really began to click. As much as you want to be Debbie Downer, the real fans know that we have to give Harbaugh time to build this team his way. As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

that is an excuse for poor performance, because every BAD coach will also start the same way. It's back to the "Einstein got F's in science. My son get's F's in science. Therefore, my son may be the next Einstein" logic again.

you are right. getting smashed in a preseason game is irrefutable proof that Harbaugh is a bad coach and we are a bad team. fire them all now, blow it up!

for the last 6 months, you've been responding to my posts exactly like another poster did for a few years as a part time job..... taking something I didn't say or extrapolating something I did say to the point of ridiculous and then embedding it in a response dripping with sarcasm. what's up with that, brah?

You know that's not what I said. What frustrates me is when fans not only tolerate but embrace ineptitude by drawing comparisons to super stars that were inept early on, as if that somehow justifies ineptitude, knowing that 99.9999999% of the time, ineptitude is not later followed by genius. It's the Einstein example, I don't know how to make it any more clear than that. It may be totally normal for us to lay an egg in that first preseason game, but I'll be damned if I'll sit back while someone justifies three bad seasons to come because some other niner team followed that up with a superbowl. It's like welcoming cancer because you might be the next Lance Armstrong.

I don't normally agree with Shaj on a lot of things but I can definitely understand your perspective. It's VERY hard to believe that this team will turn it around. And let's be even more honest...this first pre-season game was easily one of the worst starts (pre-season or not) I've seen. So..add that to the mix and it's even harder to accept, "guys...it will get better...give it time." We've given it 9 years (yes 9 years..believe it or not...49ers had problems BEFORE we drafted Alex).

Now that said...what differentiates today from "yesterday" is that we hear the coaches and players ACTIVELY working on the very specific mistakes that plagued them before. Like today, Harbaugh made the QBs work on throwing to WRs running slant patterns to COUNTER heavy blitzes. He made them do this over and over. They also spent time working on protection and the passing game. So..if we're going to put so much stock in what we saw in the first game of preseason..then it's only fair to put stock in these adjustments we see afterwards.

Agree or no?

I didn't say anywhere that this team can't or won't turn things around. It's entirely plausible, and I hope they do. But I'm not going to compare us to bad teams that later won the superbowl and extrapolate that because we too are a bad team, therefore we may also be on that SB track. Complacency and arrogance are the biggest enemies of the road to success.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm saying I see where you're coming from in terms of having a hard line stance on this team. You're right...the results speak for themselves. 9 years later....we're still awaiting decent, CONSISTENT, positive results.
Lowell Cohn you suck.

You have to take everything into consideration new coach, new offense new players new everything. It is so easy to attack the teams performance in the 1st preseason game. You are comical. Will never take you serious. 49ers will rise again remember that s#$t.

49ers for life.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm saying I see where you're coming from in terms of having a hard line stance on this team. You're right...the results speak for themselves. 9 years later....we're still awaiting decent, CONSISTENT, positive results.

ah, ok, got it.

ah, ok, got it.

mamnoon
Yeah, it's just a preseason game. But I would have liked to see the team a little more prepared.

Cohn was right on the mark -- as usual. God, I'm going to miss the man when he goes. He's the only columnist willing to call a turd of an effort a "turd of an effort."
....and this is why it is obscene to charge ticket-holders full price for these exhibition scrimmages.

Better to comprehend the scope of the coaching challenge, in a meaningless scrimmage than in Game 1, when it really counts.
Easier to bash the niners than acknowledge that the Saints had 6 weeks of player led lockout practices with trainors and the same scheme over the past two year compared to a team with 11 practices total under the new Coaches.

Lowell Cohn trying to be a competent jounalist again,

Please.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Easier to bash the niners than acknowledge that the Saints had 6 weeks of player led lockout practices with trainors and the same scheme over the past two year compared to a team with 11 practices total under the new Coaches.

Lowell Cohn trying to be a competent jounalist again,

Please.

You're being way too rational about this. Stop that.

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
This was my response...

Quote:

just chalk it up to you being a glass half empty guy and move on. Harbaugh is who I wanted for this job in October. When he got hired, I knew 8 years of garbage was not going to be instantly transformed. It will take time. S**t, it might even take this entire season. If thats too long for you, well I guess thats too bad. Just enjoy the fuel of negativity while it's still plentiful, because it's running out. It took Harbaugh a few years to make a success out of the pitiful, perennial bottom dwelling program that was Stanford football, who when he took over had no core of talent, nothing. Considering the ridiculous recruiting standards, the transformation of that program is a little more than admirable. With the 49ers, he has strong pieces in which to start work. It will take a little time, but it will happen.

There is a track record here, and it must be acknowledged.

I once got a new a*****e torn during a presentation I made to management back in 1999. I made some org changes and started new strategies and called it a "win". They tore me apart because they said "it's not a win until you demonstrate results." I never forgot that. Don't ever forget, great speeches, great intentions, previous track record of winning, loads of talent, and everything else you can think of don't mean anything. All that matters is our W/L record. We have an unproven NFL HC (whom I very much support, but that doesn't change the facts) and a proven loser at QB. This isn't about half glass full or empty, it's about getting excited about RESULTS on the field, in real games, in situations that matter (Smith lighting it up in garbage time doesn't get me excited, for instance). Show me some W's, and I'll be a half glass full kind of guy. My optimism is based on results, not on faith. I don't tolerate poor play and chalk it up to excuses. I doubt Eddie D did either. You either got results or you were promptly shown the door. We need to have the same attitude as fans.

I understand your point. I want results as much as the next guy. However I'm not going to expect positive result in the first preseason game and I'm NOT going to blame Harbaugh for 8 years of losing.

that wasn't his point, I'm sure. the point of those kinds of comparisons is that great teams take time to build, and as a spectator, you can either choose to be patient and trust that the people in charge of the team--over whom you have zero control or influence--know what they are doing, or you can flip out and demand immediate results.By and large the history of football has shown that turning a bad team into a good or great one takes time.

True, you can't determine the future solely through history. So while comparisons to Super Bowl teams might be over the top, so is viewing this team only in light of its recent history. The former isn't an excuse for ineptitude; its a recognition that it takes time to turn s**t into gold, so we might as well be patient. The latter just seems like torture.

and i respond to your posts the way I do because it amuses me.
  • Veteran
This is his latest on Harbaugh. Its getting interesting.

http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/14142/lowell-vs-jim-harbaugh-really/
Originally posted by 190836:

no it isn't
Originally posted by 190836:

What a tough guy . . .
Share 49ersWebzone