There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Schefter: Nate Clements a 'Potential' Cut This Week

Originally posted by Leathaface:
Yea when he made that INT of Hasselbeck on the first pass this season I thought we were about to have a special year...

it was special, just not the kind of special we were hoping for

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
AdamSchefter
Quote:
More potential cuts this week: Az QB Derek Anderson, LB Joey Porter, 49ers CB Nate Clements, Pitt OT Flozell Adams, Minn WR Bernard Berrain.
42 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/42587166890663936

If it happens... it's really no big surprise, but the urgency leads one to wonder if we're either (planning on) putting the bank down for Nnamdi Asomugha, or confident in Patrick Peterson/Prince falling to us (somewhere) within the first round.

Maybe both
I don't see how the hell this is good news when we have no one to replace him. I remember what our secondary looked like before Nate got here. *shudders*
Fans need to also consider the scheme, a lot of times the niner DBs were told to play soft, you would like the person to do it all, but the reality is not everyone can. Nate plays better when he is pressing the opps wr.

It remains to be seen whethter the change in coordinator can make a difference. Nate is not bad but not at the price he commands right now.

I hate it when people are quick to judge and the team lets the athlete go and he does better elsewhere, it shows, especially in the 8 years that the player either wasn't used right, or we didn't draft the right person for the system.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Yea when he made that INT of Hasselbeck on the first pass this season I thought we were about to have a special year...

Yeah, and then he got burned by his trademark bite on a double move.

-9fA
I really hope Nate restructures and to a team friendly sum. He has to know he robbed the team with his 1st contract. I would be happy with a multi year deal averaging 4-7 mil.
Nate does piss me off sometimes; his sloppiness in technique/coverage is mind-boggling for a veteran CB. But there's no doubt that he could be a mean safety for us, if he was willing to renegotiate his deal, put his pride aside and realize that he doesn't possess CB skills anymore.

Clements at FS, Goldson at SS with Reggie Smith backing up both positions and playing nickel. Then you have Taylor Mays continuing to learn the pro game and blowing fools up on special teams...that would be a damn good safety unit.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 2, 2011 at 2:21 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Nate does piss me off sometimes; his sloppiness in technique/coverage is mind-boggling for a veteran CB. But there's no doubt that he could be a mean safety for us, if he was willing to renegotiate his deal, put his pride aside and realize that he doesn't possess CB skills anymore.

Clements at FS, Goldson at SS with Reggie Smith backing up both positions and playing nickel. Then you have Taylor Mays continuing to learn the pro game and blowing fools up on special teams...that would be a damn good safety unit.

damn good is a bit much, its the same unit we had last year plus 1 more guy whos never played the postion before
I hate to say it but I think he may get cut. If the new league year starts then doesnt his contract kick in for next year? I`m a bit confused on the whole situation. I know we cant renegotiate right now with the whole cba debacle. So why would we cut him this week? Whats the reason for that move?

Anyone?
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 2, 2011 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:

damn good is a bit much, its the same unit we had last year plus 1 more guy whos never played the postion before

I was thinking more in terms of athletes, abilities and overall secondary experience.

I guess if you choose to believe Clements can't play FS (even though he seems to have the covers skills, tackling ability and years of general experience in a pro secondary for THAT role) and that the other guys will regress or stay the same, you could be right.

Looking at it positively though, Clements might be a better fit as a safety than a CB at this stage of his career (many former elite/good CBs flawlessly make that transistion), and Goldson has a year under his belt of making the calls, which frees him up to make more plays. Smith is a year removed from finally getting extended playing time (that should serve him well), and Mays is no longer a rookie.

"Damn good" may have been a bit much...but if things fall right (and they do from time-to-time in the NFL), it may be accurate.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Suppose Clements rejected a reduced salary?

Thats probably what it was

I was thinking more in terms of athletes, abilities and overall secondary experience.

I guess if you choose to believe Clements can't play FS (even though he seems to have the covers skills, tackling ability and years of general experience in a pro secondary for THAT role) and that the other guys will regress or stay the same, you could be right.

Looking at it positively though, Clements might be a better fit as a safety than a CB at this stage of his career (many former elite/good CBs flawlessly make that transistion), and Goldson has a year under his belt of making the calls, which frees him up to make more plays. Smith is a year removed from finally getting extended playing time (that should serve him well), and Mays is no longer a rookie.

"Damn good" may have been a bit much...but if things fall right (and they do from time-to-time in the NFL), it may be accurate.

They want Mays in the mix right away
We need to keep him at the right price. If he takes the paycut, keep him no doubt because Tarell Brown ain't ready for primetime.

Say we make a move up the draft to get Von Miller before the Cards do. Let Lawson and Parys hit the road and sign a FA like the Jets' Cromartie and hope noone matches Goldson's offer. We would be sitting nice and pretty.

Clements is better with a consistent pass rush. We haven't had one since Andre Carter and Jim Mora, Jr. YIKES!!!!

Clements doesn't have the mindset to be a FS. He said him that he is "a corner".

Nonetheless, Clements doesn't nearly have the range at FS nor does he have the coverage skills. Having an overaggressive and relatively slow DB who consistently bites on double moves is not really an ideal FS. I think we can do better.

I actually think that having Goldson at SS would be disastrous. He can't blitz very well and he is by far the worst tackler on defense. He may be suited to a more "out-of-the-box" role but his tackling ability still worries me.

-9fA
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Not sure why everyone is so excited? We've let all of our fa's test the market and now we are going to cut Nate. Hooray for the yorks! They've saved a ton of money. Of course now we can only field a half of team. How many daft picks do you guys think we have? We have no center, no qb, one ok corner, no NT, no starting caliber OlB. But hey, if we ever do decide to compete at least we'll have money. GTFO.

There's only a few irreplaceable players on this team. Why would we keep all the guys that were part of a 6-10 team? Clements is slow, plays dumb and jumps routes. He's completely replaceable as he was average at best. Let him walk along with Franklin, Alex Smith, and Manny Lawson.

I dont want to get this twisted. It's not that I think any one of those players are franchise caliber. However, I do think they are solid. In addition, I believe the guys behind them (T.Brown, RJF, Brooks/Haralson -remember we didn't sign Laboy) are 2nd stringers at best. And not to make this about Alex Smith, but David Carr is the worst QB I've seen in years. The point is, we are making all these moves/non-moves without a sure fire plan B (So it seems). Maybe they have a plan, great. However, we are leaving our team with a lot of holes and unless we get lucky (yeah I said) in the draft and go hard in FA, we are screwed.

Have you ever heard of the say, " You dont quit your job unless you already have one to replace it." That's how I see the Niners right now.

It can also be that the Niners are trying to work things BUT the player is like you know what...I want to test the FA market if I get a good deal see ya...if not maybe Ill come back. I read a thing with Matt M Saying for example D Baas is a FA the Niners are trying to resign and he was said to say he wanted to see what he can get inn the open market. So Just because something didnt happen DONT automatically blame the team....maybe its the player. Example...C Palmer is it the teams fault if he doesnt return? In a way ok Yes cause they're so lousy But in the End its C Palmer that is MAKING the Choice the team doesnt have much leverage on what they can do with him cause like he said I have 80 mill in the bank if you dont trade me Ill retire...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home