LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 430 users in the forums

Schefter: Nate Clements a 'Potential' Cut This Week

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Nate deserved better than Manusky's 10 yard off-coverage, and definitely deserves better than the 49ers fanbase. At least he was well compensated for us wrecking what was (at the time of the signing) a good career.

I actually read somewhere that the DBs are often given a choice of whether to line up in press or off coverage.

-9fA

General rule is you dont play press unless you have safety help over the top.

Good point. I'll have to find the article.

-9fA
He had some great hits, but more costly misses, later holmes.
It is a smart move. Throw the money at a younger player[s]
  • rob28
  • Veteran
thank god i've been waiting for this day. see you later nate! now we can sign Nnamdi and draft peterson.
[ Edited by rob28 on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM ]
F**k Nate Clements. Not worth the money.
So if he isnt cut today do we have to pay his whole salary for 2011? Or can we still cut him after the draft? Anyone know how that works?

Whats the difference in cutting him today or in June? Whats the advantage/disadvantage if you will.
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM ]
So if he isnt cut today do we have to pay his whole salary for 2011? Or can we still cut him after the draft? Anyone know how that works?

Whats the difference in cutting him today or in June? Whats the advantage/disadvantage if you will.

No difference.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

No difference.

TY then I expect we wont do anything till after the draft. I love schefter but he is off on this one. Absolutely no reason to cut him unless he wants out. If so, so be it.

No difference.

TY then I expect we wont do anything till after the draft. I love schefter but he is off on this one. Absolutely no reason to cut him unless he wants out. If so, so be it.

Yup. The 49ers hold all the cards here and can release/waive Clements at any time with no negative impact to their 2011 books. In fact, it frees up a ton of payroll.

No difference.

Yup. The 49ers hold all the cards here and can release/waive Clements at any time with no negative impact to their 2011 books. In fact, it frees up a ton of payroll.

This is great. Now we can sign Alex Smith to a multi-year deal.

Originally posted by ritchie:

No difference.

No difference.

This whole cba ordeal has me all confused right now. I thought we couldnt sign or extend players, hand out play books, etc. Then I see Hawk signs a deal today after beign cut yesterday. I think I got it now though, thanks. I cant wait till all this junk is over with.

So we are only on the hook for the 2011 salary but we were already on the hook for that no matter what.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by ritchie:

No difference.

You don't agree? Maybe we can franchise tag him instead. Let's wait for the Manning situation to play out first though.
i only hope cutting nate means 2 things: 1)we make a strong push for Asomugha 2)we find a way to draft Peterson. Signing Asomugha would be most beneficial then our cards are easier to play come draft time
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Nate deserved better than Manusky's 10 yard off-coverage, and definitely deserves better than the 49ers fanbase. At least he was well compensated for us wrecking what was (at the time of the signing) a good career.

I actually read somewhere that the DBs are often given a choice of whether to line up in press or off coverage.

-9fA

And I think there in lies the problem - DBs are given a choice? Shouldn't the DC be making that decision given the scheme? Sounds like a coaching/scheme issue to me.

But then again, you don't want to force your players to play in a manner in which they're not comfortable. It's a balance.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone