LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Harbaugh on KNBR today " We want our tapes back"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Anyone rember this?

Kelly: What Harbaugh punch?

Oh man...sounds so familiar! I don't recall what actually DID happen, if it was ever discovered. Either Kelly was lying about being punched or Harbaugh's punch was so weak that he hurt himself only.

I remember when this incident was all over Sportscenter, Kelly had a huge shiner/patch across the right side of his eye & face. -b***h was handed a fistful mandate.
Now are these missing tapes the same as the ones that NFL films has backed up? And if so he should be able to get them back easily.
OK, I have to say something about this, cause I have some knowledge that I can contribute to the conversation due to my work with the league.

This whole "Walsh-tapes" issue began with Steve Young. Steve Young went on record multiple times stating that there was a "vault of tapes" Bill Walsh had recorded that have the roots of the west coast offense on them.

Now, you might be wondering... what exactly ARE on the tapes? Like, when you put them in the VCR, what do you see?

In essence, the tapes show Bill Walsh either at a blackboard or overhead projector teaching plays to the 49ers. The camera is at the back of the room, with just Walsh and a few floating heads in the foreground watching him draw up wisdom.

Now, I know that NFL Films has a lot of footage of Bill Walsh drawing up plays from back in the day fitting the description above. How organized is it? I'm not sure, but from what I know my guess is that the footage would be pretty disordered. How much footage is there? A good amount, but I don't know how much. Would NFL Films give copies of this footage to the 49ers if they requested it? I really don't see any reason why not. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

From where I stand, this whole tape-issue seems like a joke to me. The tapes that NFL Films have have been digitized. This means they exist not only as physical media, but as digitized media for distribution means as well. This means the footage has potentially passed in-and-out of the hands of a tremendous amount of people. There's not many secret plays from Bill Walsh that haven't been seen already by numerous parties. You can watch some of the old 49ers' AMERICA'S GAMES to see some of the footage that people have been talking about.

This is the reason I wonder what all the fuss is about. I'm not sure there are any amazing, world-changing things to be learned from these missing tapes. Sure, NFL Films has some of the original footage, but who knows who those tapes were originally donated from. Eddie DeBartolo? Mike Holmgren? George Siefert? An anonymous third-party?

How many tapes were there originally in the vault? No one knows.

All I'm saying is that even if the 49ers recover some of what they think is missing, my guess is that what they will get back won't be that important anyway. They will still be missing tapes from people who don't want to give them back. It's kind of a wild goose chase at this point.

But Steve Young made it sound REALLY interesting... which is why we are still talking about it now. And IMO, Steve may not have had all the information, because apparently, that Walsh-tape-vault is kinda empty (just going by what Harbaugh said). And finding those phantom tapes seems like a waste of time from where I stand.

But whatever. Maybe Mike Holmgren will Fed-Ex out some DVD's next week. But even if he does, you know he'll keep the best stuff to himself.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Feb 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM ]
^ Wow, great perspective.

-9fA
Originally posted by NickSh49:
OK, I have to say something about this, cause I have some knowledge that I can contribute to the conversation due to my work with the league.

This whole "Walsh-tapes" issue began with Steve Young. Steve Young went on record multiple times stating that there was a "vault of tapes" Bill Walsh had recorded that have the roots of the west coast offense on them.

Now, you might be wondering... what exactly ARE on the tapes? Like, when you put them in the VCR, what do you see?

In essence, the tapes show Bill Walsh either at a blackboard or overhead projector teaching plays to the 49ers. The camera is at the back of the room, with just Walsh and a few floating heads in the foreground watching him draw up wisdom.

Now, I know that NFL Films has a lot of footage of Bill Walsh drawing up plays from back in the day fitting the description above. How organized is it? I'm not sure, but from what I know my guess is that the footage would be pretty disordered. How much footage is there? A good amount, but I don't know how much. Would NFL Films give copies of this footage to the 49ers if they requested it? I really don't see any reason why not. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

From where I stand, this whole tape-issue seems like a joke to me. The tapes that NFL Films have have been digitized. This means they exist not only as physical media, but as digitized media for distribution means as well. This means the footage has potentially passed in-and-out of the hands of a tremendous amount of people. There's not many secret plays from Bill Walsh that haven't been seen already by numerous parties. You can watch some of the old 49ers' AMERICA'S GAMES to see some of the footage that people have been talking about.

This is the reason I wonder what all the fuss is about. I'm not sure there are any amazing, world-changing things to be learned from these missing tapes. Sure, NFL Films has some of the original footage, but who knows who those tapes were originally donated from. Eddie DeBartolo? Mike Holmgren? George Siefert? An anonymous third-party?

All I'm saying is that even if the 49ers recover some of what they think is missing, my guess is that what they will get back won't be that important anyway. They will still be missing tapes from people who don't want to give them back. It's kind of a wild goose chase at this point.

But Steve Young made it sound REALLY interesting... which is why we are still talking about it now. And IMO, Steve may not have had all the information, because apparently, that Walsh-tape-vault is kinda empty (just going by what Harbaugh said). And finding those phantom tapes seems like a waste of time from where I stand.

But whatever. Maybe Mike Holmgren will Fed-Ex out some DVD's next week. But even if he does, you know he'll keep the best stuff to himself.

Holmgren could easily make copies for himself. I think any coach from the Bill Walsh coaching tree would want to keep his legacy alive. Also, I wonder how much tape they might be able to get from his family and friends?

Holmgren could easily make copies for himself. I think any coach from the Bill Walsh coaching tree would want to keep his legacy alive. Also, I wonder how much tape they might be able to get from his family and friends?

Oh of course anyone can make copies of anything. That's kind of what I was sarcastically hinting at when I said Holmgren would send out some DVD's (cause DVD's weren't invented in the 80's, so he would have had to burn copies).

All I'm saying is that I don't know what the point is of hunting down these tapes. I'm not sure how much there is left to learn that hasn't already been used and adapted from by Andy Reid, Mike Shanahan, Mike Homgren, and the rest of the disciples of the WCO.

I'm sure Harbaugh could gain a nugget of knowledge here and there from the tapes, but these tapes have been so widely circulated that I'm not sure how many juicy secrets there are left to be found.

Steve Young made it sound like we had the Holy Grail hidden in the basement of the Santa Clara offices. And I think he was a bit misinformed (cause that vault be empty son).
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Feb 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM ]

Oh of course anyone can make copies of anything. That's kind of what I was sarcastically hinting at when I said Holmgren would send out some DVD's (cause DVD's weren't invented in the 80's, so he would have had to burn copies).

All I'm saying is that I don't know what the point is of hunting down these tapes. I'm not sure how much there is left to learn that hasn't already been used and adapted from by Andy Reid, Mike Shanahan, Mike Homgren, and the rest of the disciples of the WCO.

I'm sure Harbaugh could gain a nugget of knowledge here and there from the tapes, but these tapes have been so widely circulated that I'm not sure how many juicy secrets there are left to be found.

Steve Young made it sound like we had the Holy Grail hidden in the basement of the Santa Clara offices. And I think he was a bit misinformed (cause that vault be empty son).

Well, I guess it depends on what Harbaugh sees. Different coaches have taken different aspects from Walsh's WCO and made it their own. I'm sure that Jim Harbaugh would do the same. My guess is that he just wants to learn as much as he can from the originator, the genius, Bill Walsh.

Well, I guess it depends on what Harbaugh sees. Different coaches have taken different aspects from Walsh's WCO and made it their own. I'm sure that Jim Harbaugh would do the same. My guess is that he just wants to learn as much as he can from the originator, the genius, Bill Walsh.

Very true sir.
Amazing thread.

I'm postin from a cell phone there my be mistakes
Originally posted by Nes49:
The list of suspects:

that is sweet!

no wonder we've sucked these past few years. get the tapes back!
Originally posted by Nes49:
REGULATORS!...mount up. We goin' huntin'

Release the hounds!!
[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Feb 18, 2011 at 7:25 PM ]
It's unbelievable to me that there wasn't some formal cataloging and control on this video tape as it was generated. It wouldn't bug me if coaches dubbed tapes but the orginals should never have been allowed out of the building.

THEY TOOK UR JERBBBBBZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
THEY TOOK UR JERBBBBBZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Feb 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone