LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by leokarpik:
Harbaugh is a qb wiz and we as fans abviously dont know as much as him so i support harbaugh till the end.. plus Alex Smith QB rating last two years was an average 82. by the time harbaugh is threw with him a pro bowl QB I forsee..

The QB's that Harbaugh has developed... What have they done in the NFL?
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex is like a crazy girlfriend that I once had. The b***h was crazy I had one hell of a time getting rid or her.

So what you're saying is that Alex Smith is good in bed?

-9fA

LOL pretty creepy. And I thought Sus thought everyone else was a "jock riding Alex man crush lover."

Back to the topic: I understand the "why" as far as Smith coming back...but either way you slice it and dice it...it's a PR nightmare for Smith and Harbaugh IMO. Fans will be (rightfully so) EXTREMELY impatient. Get ready for louder boos and more over reaction.

I just can't for the life of me...understand why Alex would even CONSIDER coming back. It's a GREAT situation on paper ironically...but all the feelings and all the ill will...it just seems too much. I wouldn't come back that's for sure. Just start fresh.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
If Jim Harbaugh would have come out and said "Alex has his problems, but with some work, I think he can be a successful NFL QB" I would have absolutely ZERO problem with us potentially retaining him. But when Harbaugh describes Alex as "a winner, someone with great instincts, quick and good decision maker, understands timing, accurate and durable," it really makes me wonder. Like I said above, if Harbaugh acknowledged Alex's faults, but proclaimed he could make him a real NFL QB, I would be cool with it. But to listen to him describe Alex in ways that are CLEARLY inaccurate, it really worries me. Lets break down Jims description....

-A winner. Absolutely not. This should be abundantly clear.
-Great instincs. No. When have you ever seen Alex throw a WR open or throw the ball before a WR breaks his route in anticipation of him becoming open? Never.
-Quick and good decision maker. If by checking down before the play develops constitutes quick decision making, sure I will give that to him. Good decision making is absolutely wrong.
-Understands timing. HAHAHA. Right. Alex rarely hits receivers in stride. Hardly EVER.
-Accurate. I feel like Jim said this as a joke. How anyone can watch 6 years of footage and claim this guy is accurate is absolutely comical.
-Durable. Once again, I dont see how anyone with a brain can possibly believe this.

I am strongly against bringing Alex back. But if Harbaugh claimed he could turn a weed into a rose, I would be down to give him a chance. But to claim the weed IS a rose really makes me wonder.

I think this is what baffles me the most. If he pointed out Alex's flaws and said how he could fix them in a general sense...then I'd be OK with him.

But to say things that are completely inaccurate....like, is Jim just talking to talk, or is he on something? Like, even if you think Alex was poorly coached and can be elite. Accurate, quick, good decision maker, durable, leader, etc... are not qualities that he has right now.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Im getting sick and tired of Harbaugh kissing Alex's ass everyday in the media. I dont understand what the hell they are doing here. Everybody and their momma knows that Alex needs to GTFO of SF and even he knows it. Harbaugh needs to shut the f**k up and try to look at other options.

I really wanted the niners to get Harbaugh but now Im already starting to wonder if was the right choice. Please dont screw up like the previous two coaches by depending on Alex to be your Huckleberry because he simply cant do it.

Stop this madness or you will suffer the same fate as your predecessors.

agree
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Alex is like a crazy girlfriend that I once had. The b***h was crazy I had one hell of a time getting rid or her.

So what you're saying is that Alex Smith is good in bed?

-9fA

LOL pretty creepy. And I thought Sus thought everyone else was a "jock riding Alex man crush lover."

Back to the topic: I understand the "why" as far as Smith coming back...but either way you slice it and dice it...it's a PR nightmare for Smith and Harbaugh IMO. Fans will be (rightfully so) EXTREMELY impatient. Get ready for louder boos and more over reaction.

I just can't for the life of me...understand why Alex would even CONSIDER coming back. It's a GREAT situation on paper ironically...but all the feelings and all the ill will...it just seems too much. I wouldn't come back that's for sure. Just start fresh.

Well, it makes sense for both sides if there is an extended lockout. As bad and inconsistent as Smith has been over the course of the past year, I can't see a rookie coming in and having greater success with only a few weeks of prep work (should it come to that).

However, if the CBA is in place or there is little to no missed time, then I believe that it will be best for both parties to look elsewhere.

-9fA
  • hb123
  • Veteran
i am down for this i guess, if jim says.. but he better not do it like mike n not have any real plan B if smith doesn't work out.. draft a qb, and maybe a free agent!!
I hope he does come back this next year, and if he steps up then hey we got a QB, if not then hes been thru every scenario and failed and for sure won't come back, and hopefully we get the #1 pick and grab Luck
Im getting sick and tired of Harbaugh kissing Alex's ass everyday in the media. I dont understand what the hell they are doing here. Everybody and their momma knows that Alex needs to GTFO of SF and even he knows it. Harbaugh needs to shut the f**k up and try to look at other options.

I really wanted the niners to get Harbaugh but now Im already starting to wonder if was the right choice. Please dont screw up like the previous two coaches by depending on Alex to be your Huckleberry because he simply cant do it.

I had high hopes when Dingleberry was fired,but no more... I expect a 4-12 record in 2011... I"m sorry,but Alex is no answer to our QB problems... He's the problem! This franchise refuses to learn from it's mistakes! You don't give a bust at QB a 7th year!
Originally posted by fakers23:

I had high hopes when Dingleberry was fired,but no more... I expect a 4-12 record in 2011... I"m sorry,but Alex is no answer to our QB problems... He's the problem! This franchise refuses to learn from it's mistakes! You don't give a bust at QB a 7th year!

no one said he would be the starter if he is brought back
[ Edited by valrod33 on Feb 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM ]
Originally posted by fly15:

agree

Relax, this CBA thing is putting a crimp in his plans and he has to keep options open until camp. If Alex sucks badly-who knows, may a little Luck will come our way-haha.

Originally posted by valrod33:

Starter or not... He's part of the losing culture of the team! Name me one team that brought a number pick back for a 7 years after failing over and over again...

Starter or not... He's part of the losing culture of the team! Name me one team that brought a number pick back for a 7 years after failing over and over again...

Despite this being a unique year, fakers is correct. I think smith can become a decent qb (middle of the road) but its time to cut ties. Then again, he is better than david carr.

as a side note, Damn you Donahue!

This. In fact, Harb. expressly stated that he wants a competition.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

This. In fact, Harb. expressly stated that he wants a competition.

Just from an Alex standpoint why would you want to come back if your not the starter ???
Share 49ersWebzone