LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 313 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
I can't wait till he re-signs! I am one of the few people who have faith in Alex, plus the addition of Harbaugh and Co. Give him a one year deal and let him shine. This place will explode when he does re-sign and I will love it!

Umm, yeah, you'll see that happen when tiny monkeys fly out of my gigantic behind.

There's no way that Harbaugh keeps Coach Killer around. He'll want to develop his own guy -- not take on somebody's sloppy seconds.

This is all about "messaging" my friends -- and it appears that Harbaugh is very good at it. Where NoWin and Dingleberry didn't have a clue about messaging, Harbaugh obviously does, and he's making great use of those talents.

Exactly. Harbaugh is just being PC and making sure he says good things about Alex so if there is a lockout, we can just resign him. And if there is no lockout, he can go out and get any other QB he wants other than Alex, and he will also have done him a favor by speaking highly of him, which might raise his stock a bit.
Make sure you get those tiny flying monkeys on video, your gonna get a s**t load of views in youtube!

Just wait, everyday that goes by with no CBA Alex inches closer and closer.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I can't wait till he re-signs! I am one of the few people who have faith in Alex, plus the addition of Harbaugh and Co. Give him a one year deal and let him shine. This place will explode when he does re-sign and I will love it!

Umm, yeah, you'll see that happen when tiny monkeys fly out of my gigantic behind.

There's no way that Harbaugh keeps Coach Killer around. He'll want to develop his own guy -- not take on somebody's sloppy seconds.

This is all about "messaging" my friends -- and it appears that Harbaugh is very good at it. Where NoWin and Dingleberry didn't have a clue about messaging, Harbaugh obviously does, and he's making great use of those talents.

Exactly. Harbaugh is just being PC and making sure he says good things about Alex so if there is a lockout, we can just resign him. And if there is no lockout, he can go out and get any other QB he wants other than Alex, and he will also have done him a favor by speaking highly of him, which might raise his stock a bit.

cmon man if harbrough wanted to stay on just good terms on alex why is he having multime meetings and saying all these good things

if u remember the interview when he joined the team he was very pecimistic about alex when qb situation was asked he said we look explore our options meaning he wont look inside the orgnization

what im saying is that we may keep alex and we may not but he definitally likes alex at least a little
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

cmon man if harbrough wanted to stay on just good terms on alex why is he having multime meetings and saying all these good things

if u remember the interview when he joined the team he was very pecimistic about alex when qb situation was asked he said we look explore our options meaning he wont look inside the orgnization

what im saying is that we may keep alex and we may not but he definitally likes alex at least a little

Read above title my friend: MESSAGING

Let me put in another view: Let's say you want to sell your old POS car. Do you list it as "old POS car, $1000?" No, of course you don't. You list it as "Gently used GREAT LITTLE CAR, $1000."

He isn't doing this to make Smith feel good either. It's a messaging tactic to other teams that the new guy -- who has a pretty good reputation for developing QB's -- sees "something magical" in Alex Smith.

Suddenly -- the guy we couldn't trade for a can of beans and franks six months ago becomes possibly worth of extra draft picks.

Messaging my friends, messaging. That is what we're getting from the new regime.

Quite frankly -- I like it. We've been hoodwinked for far too long by far too many teams. It's time for a little payback.

Let me put in another view: Let's say you want to sell your old POS car. Do you list it as "old POS car, $1000?" No, of course you don't. You list it as "Gently used GREAT LITTLE CAR, $1000."

He isn't doing this to make Smith feel good either. It's a messaging tactic to other teams that the new guy -- who has a pretty good reputation for developing QB's -- sees "something magical" in Alex Smith.

Suddenly -- the guy we couldn't trade for a can of beans and franks six months ago becomes possibly worth of extra draft picks.

Messaging my friends, messaging. That is what we're getting from the new regime.

Quite frankly -- I like it. We've been hoodwinked for far too long by far too many teams. It's time for a little payback.

interesting theory with one majpr flaw---niners cant trade smith--he is a free agent...niners realistically cant sign smith and then trade him either, as why would smith go for that, and what reputation would they have with other players in the league if they tricked a guy into signing and then traded him

it seems to me harbaugh may see smith as one of the better options he has to add a qb to the roster...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by hofer36:

interesting theory with one majpr flaw---niners cant trade smith--he is a free agent...niners realistically cant sign smith and then trade him either, as why would smith go for that, and what reputation would they have with other players in the league if they tricked a guy into signing and then traded him

it seems to me harbaugh may see smith as one of the better options he has to add a qb to the roster...

Dont think that Bill saying that Harbaugh will trade Alex. All he is saying that if worse comes to worse and the CBA thing drags and Smith has to come back Harbaugh is making it look like he wants him back and not just being forced to take him back.

It also might be possible that Harbaugh might not want to look too desperate in case he ends up trading for a new qb. He makes it sound like he can make do just fine with Smith and doesn't need another qb so he doesn't have to pay a kings ransom for one. Just another possiblity?
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Feb 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM ]

You have no idea what you're talking about. You can't trade in a free agent unless you franchise tag them and sign and trade, and nobody would pay franchise numbers for Alex. Nice try though.
Originally posted by susweel:

Dont think that Bill saying that Harbaugh will trade Alex. All he is saying that if worse comes to worse and the CBA thing drags and Smith has to come back Harbaugh is making it look like he wants him back and not just being forced to take him back.

No he was actually including the phrase "worth extra draft picks" or something like that. Not happening though. He's not getting traded. He'll only sign somewhere.
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
If Jim Harbaugh would have come out and said "Alex has his problems, but with some work, I think he can be a successful NFL QB" I would have absolutely ZERO problem with us potentially retaining him. But when Harbaugh describes Alex as "a winner, someone with great instincts, quick and good decision maker, understands timing, accurate and durable," it really makes me wonder. Like I said above, if Harbaugh acknowledged Alex's faults, but proclaimed he could make him a real NFL QB, I would be cool with it. But to listen to him describe Alex in ways that are CLEARLY inaccurate, it really worries me. Lets break down Jims description....

-A winner. Absolutely not. This should be abundantly clear.
-Great instincs. No. When have you ever seen Alex throw a WR open or throw the ball before a WR breaks his route in anticipation of him becoming open? Never.
-Quick and good decision maker. If by checking down before the play develops constitutes quick decision making, sure I will give that to him. Good decision making is absolutely wrong.
-Understands timing. HAHAHA. Right. Alex rarely hits receivers in stride. Hardly EVER.
-Accurate. I feel like Jim said this as a joke. How anyone can watch 6 years of footage and claim this guy is accurate is absolutely comical.
-Durable. Once again, I dont see how anyone with a brain can possibly believe this.

I am strongly against bringing Alex back. But if Harbaugh claimed he could turn a weed into a rose, I would be down to give him a chance. But to claim the weed IS a rose really makes me wonder.

I think this is what baffles me the most. If he pointed out Alex's flaws and said how he could fix them in a general sense...then I'd be OK with him.

But to say things that are completely inaccurate....like, is Jim just talking to talk, or is he on something? Like, even if you think Alex was poorly coached and can be elite. Accurate, quick, good decision maker, durable, leader, etc... are not qualities that he has right now.

He was actually pretty accurate. He threw for like the most or 2nd most yards after catch in the NFL. If he's not puting the ball where the WR can run after catch then they wouldn't be getting all that YAC. So he is putting it there. His decision making can be erratic sometimes, other times(like NO Saints game) he is razorsharp. So we'll see.

If jim just wanted to send a message then he would just say he likes Smith. Harbaugh would not be wasting time having meetings and tossing the rock with Smith if he just wanted to send a message, Harbaugh is smarter then that, he is a busy man who makes use of every second.

Get out of here with this "messaging" bs.
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by leokarpik:
Harbaugh is a qb wiz and we as fans abviously dont know as much as him so i support harbaugh till the end.. plus Alex Smith QB rating last two years was an average 82. by the time harbaugh is threw with him a pro bowl QB I forsee..

The QB's that Harbaugh has developed... What have they done in the NFL?

Josh Johnson aint that bad.. lol
F@ck Alex Smith. He needs to GTFO already. He's not wanted anymore.
If jim just wanted to send a message then he would just say he likes Smith. Harbaugh would not be wasting time having meetings and tossing the rock with Smith if he just wanted to send a message, Harbaugh is smarter then that, he is a busy man who makes use of every second.

Get out of here with this "messaging" bs.

thats eactly what im trying to say 1 meeting is enough and say he is a smart talented kid

instead theyre multiple meetings and went specifically into what he liked about him and when asked if alex is in it answer is yes definitely

doesnt sound like hes playing him to me

u guys just seem to be in denial which is understandable
As I'll say in the next Alex Smith thread...well, just wait and read it later.
Share 49ersWebzone