LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Quote:
I do think Harbaugh can get Smith to be a top 5 QB. If it doesn't work, we can always go after Luck...

I see no reason why not. Alex averaged a 94.7 QB rating and had 11 TDs to 3 INTs through his last 7 games when M.J. took over for Raye. That would have put him at the #7 spot for all QBs.

So if we get less predictable and improved play-calling... and the OL improves together? Sure... he can be a top 5 QB. I'll settle for top 10 in 2011, as that should get us into the playoffs to begin our run at ring #6.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Quote:
I do think Harbaugh can get Smith to be a top 5 QB. If it doesn't work, we can always go after Luck...

I see no reason why not. Alex averaged a 94.7 QB rating and had 11 TDs to 3 INTs through his last 7 games when M.J. took over for Raye. That would have put him at the #7 spot for all QBs.

So if we get less predictable and improved play-calling... and the OL improves together? Sure... he can be a top 5 QB. I'll settle for top 10 in 2011, as that should get us into the playoffs to begin our run at ring #6.

Alex Smith a top 5 or 10 QB?
[ Edited by bigmike55 on Feb 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM ]
Originally posted by excelsior:
Kirkthejerk said he was out of here. I hope he doesn't mean it. He has brought some valuable stuff to the board. I especially appreciated his contribution about the Dunning-Kruger effect. It was gratifying to see that tests have proven what I have observed for years. Thanks, Kirk.

Oh the irony!
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Quote:

Seriously, guys? Top 5 would right now is Brady, Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, and Brees.

You're trying to say he's on par or better than those guys? No way he is top 5 since he would have be better than one of those, which he IS NOT.

I understand that he can improve under Harbaugh, but top 5 QB? WTF ARE YOU SMOKING?!!!!!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Quote:

Seriously, guys? Top 5 would right now is Brady, Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, and Brees.

You're trying to say he's on par or better than those guys? No way he is top 5 since he would have be better than one of those, which he IS NOT.

I understand that he can improve under Harbaugh, but top 5 QB? WTF ARE YOU SMOKING?!!!!!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

That's what I'm saying. It's one thing to say he may improve with Harbaughs coaching and be a decent QB, but to say he will be a top 5 or 10 QB in the league is absurd. I'm sure most of the league would consider him a bottom 5 QB in the league.
Through a full season, no way Alex Smith will ever be a tier 1 QB which is top 1-5.. Can he be a tier 2 QB which is 6-10?? hopefully.. Ill just be happy if he can be a tier 3 11-15 which is usually a 85-89 passer rating around 3,500yds 25tds and 15int
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Quote:

Yeah, I'm a Smith fan and I only want him back if the CBA issue lingers. However to believe that Smith may be a top 5 QB is ridiculous given that he hasn't cracked the top 10 yet. Not to mention, he's only a fringe top 15 QB - if that.

-9fA
I just read an interesting article about today's "pre-adult" men. According to the writer, it is a modern phenomenon, whereby young men have delayed, usually by choice, growing up and settling down as husbands and fathers so that they can extend the lifestyle they enjoyed in high school and college.

One of the traits commonly found in this class of pre-adults is their strong attachment to sports and their adoption of a favorite team. Since they themselves rarely are successful "winners," they develop a strong need for their adopted persona, i. e. their team, to have the success that they are not experiencing themselves.

In other words, they want to identify with success and glory. Because they do not have the ability or are not willing to put in the effort to earn success on their own, they demand their team to earn it for them.

Hence, they experience anger, even hatred, toward those on their adopted team who they blame for not bringing glory to their identity. Interesting notion. Does anyone on this board feel they have fallen into this trap? Someone may ask, what does this have to do with Alex? Do I really have to explain?
I just read an interesting article about today's "pre-adult" men. According to the writer, it is a modern phenomenon, whereby young men have delayed, usually by choice, growing up and settling down as husbands and fathers so that they can extend the lifestyle they enjoyed in high school and college.

One of the traits commonly found in this class of pre-adults is their strong attachment to sports and their adoption of a favorite team. Since they themselves rarely are successful "winners," they develop a strong need for their adopted persona, i. e. their team, to have the success that they are not experiencing themselves.

In other words, they want to identify with success and glory. Because they do not have the ability or are not willing to put in the effort to earn success on their own, they demand their team to earn it for them.

Hence, they experience anger, even hatred, toward those on their adopted team who they blame for not bringing glory to their identity. Interesting notion. Does anyone on this board feel they have fallen into this trap? Someone may ask, what does this have to do with Alex? Do I really have to explain?

Nice... that was really very interesting. I'd say there's a lot more truth to it than many will be honest to admit.

so you're saying that married men with kids shouldn't be fans of their childhood teams?

Originally posted by WestCoast:

so you're saying that married men with kids shouldn't be fans of their childhood teams?

No, he's saying losers take Alex Smith's lack of success personally, or he's slyly calling Alex Smith haters losers. Whichever way you prefer to look at it.
Either way, this thread has now reached completely ridiculous.
Share 49ersWebzone