LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niner4life21:
OMG. How hard is it to f**king understand this:

Jim Harbaugh is definitely saying good things about Alex Smith. He might mean them, and he might not. Only he knows. Anyway, the reason he is going so all out in his praise of Smith is b/c he needs to make sure him and Smith stay close so he can have him if there is no CBA. And regarding the little meetings the two have in Santa Clara to throw the ball around and all, it's just that Harbaugh wants to get a feel for how his possible QB of 2011 is in person. Is it that hard to f**king understand? He's really trying to keep Smith on his side b/c he knows that David Carr makes Alex look like a good QB.

Huh? So who is interpreting anything different?

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Jim Harbaugh is definitely saying good things about Alex Smith. He might mean them, and he might not. Only he knows. Anyway, the reason he is going so all out in his praise of Smith is b/c he needs to make sure him and Smith stay close so he can have him if there is no CBA. And regarding the little meetings the two have in Santa Clara to throw the ball around and all, it's just that Harbaugh wants to get a feel for how his possible QB of 2011 is in person. Is it that hard to f**king understand? He's really trying to keep Smith on his side b/c he knows that David Carr makes Alex look like a good QB.

-9fA
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:

-9fA

The people who keep saying that Harbaugh really thinks that Alex is 'very accurate, very durable , and has good intangibles.'

Plus, people are already sure that even if the CBA gets resolved, Harbaugh will choose Smith as his QB. That's my point. I think if the CBA gets resolved, Alex doesn't re-sign here. A lockout would mean that Alex would HAVE to re-sign, b/c otherwise, he'd have no job in the NFL. Remember, a lot of it has to do with Alex's decision, so he might want to test FA if there is a deal done for CBA.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I understand susweel and BigMike. The tide is changing. So let's shut it down.

72.1 career rating
57.1 completion %
174.1 ypg
6.2 ypa
51 TD
53 INT

....and here come the excuses of how you can't count [x] games because of [a, b, c, d, e] reasons.

....next comes the stats under super coordinator Mike Johnson...b/c obviously Alex Smith was 10x better under him, lol.

Here's a new excuse you gotta put on your list:

Jim Harbaugh LIKES Alex Smith.

No he doesn't. Harbaugh just doesn't want to hurt Alex's feelings. No coach is going to say one of their players straight up suck even if they do. Deep down inside, he knows he will get fired if Alex Smith is his QB. Harbaugh seems smarter than Nolan and Singletary. He won't keep the coach killer around.

Denial. lol. 100% denial. Have you heard what he is saying? have you heard that they have had numerous face to face meetings?

“I’m not going to hide my feelings, I like Alex Smith, I like him as a football player, as a person and he’ll make the best decision for him. Some people say Alex Smith needs a fresh start — needs a new place to be or whatever. I say let that place be here.”

dont know what your talking about.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. Alex Smith is garbage. 6 years of crappy football is enough for me. No more Alex Smith. Harbaugh is sugar coating all this media bs.

People SOOOOO underestimate How important COACHIING IS!!!!! ITs not always about someone sucking! TRENT DILLFER won a superbowl..
Originally posted by SY9er8:

72.1 career rating
57.1 completion %
174.1 ypg
6.2 ypa
51 TD
53 INT

....and here come the excuses of how you can't count [x] games because of [a, b, c, d, e] reasons.

....next comes the stats under super coordinator Mike Johnson...b/c obviously Alex Smith was 10x better under him, lol.

No he doesn't. Harbaugh just doesn't want to hurt Alex's feelings. No coach is going to say one of their players straight up suck even if they do. Deep down inside, he knows he will get fired if Alex Smith is his QB. Harbaugh seems smarter than Nolan and Singletary. He won't keep the coach killer around.

Denial. lol. 100% denial. Have you heard what he is saying? have you heard that they have had numerous face to face meetings?

“I’m not going to hide my feelings, I like Alex Smith, I like him as a football player, as a person and he’ll make the best decision for him. Some people say Alex Smith needs a fresh start — needs a new place to be or whatever. I say let that place be here.”

I know exactly what I'm talking about. Alex Smith is garbage. 6 years of crappy football is enough for me. No more Alex Smith. Harbaugh is sugar coating all this media bs.

People SOOOOO underestimate How important COACHIING IS!!!!! ITs not always about someone sucking! TRENT DILLFER won a superbowl..

Trent Dilfer in his prime > Alex Smith

72.1 career rating
57.1 completion %
174.1 ypg
6.2 ypa
51 TD
53 INT

Trent Dilfer in his prime > Alex Smith

Mike, I see what you're saying. But forget about Alex for a second...can you honestly say that's even a valid comparison? Any guy who's gone through Smiths situation and is only 26 is hardly in "his prime."

Look I could really careless now about this whole thing but at least be fair. You can't compare any QB in their "prime" to young, poorly developed and damaged QBs. LOL cmon man.

72.1 career rating
57.1 completion %
174.1 ypg
6.2 ypa
51 TD
53 INT

You or I could have won a Super Bowl with that defense. Just snap the ball, take a knee three times, and punt. That defense not only allowed nothing, they scored more points than the opposing offense.

-9fA

The people who keep saying that Harbaugh really thinks that Alex is 'very accurate, very durable , and has good intangibles.'

Plus, people are already sure that even if the CBA gets resolved, Harbaugh will choose Smith as his QB. That's my point. I think if the CBA gets resolved, Alex doesn't re-sign here. A lockout would mean that Alex would HAVE to re-sign, b/c otherwise, he'd have no job in the NFL. Remember, a lot of it has to do with Alex's decision, so he might want to test FA if there is a deal done for CBA.

Understand what you're saying. If I was Alex I'd be reluctant to come back here given the management, surrounding talent, and coaching he has had here. But I think he might be interested in playing for Harbaugh even given the a-holes he'll have to put with at Candlestick. That last game of the season was ridiculous. With Singletary gone and Mike Johnson turned lose he had a QB rating of 107, threw a couple of long TD pases, won the game 38 - 7, and he got bood every time he threw an incomplete pass. He really may want to get away from the haters. He has been scapegoated terribly here. The Niners have had a lot of problems the last six years besides Alex Smith. Until the last few games last year he's had to run for his life every time he took a snap. If Harbaugh thinks he can play and wants him back, I'm with Harbaugh, not the dipweeds at Candlestick. As a kid I watched John Brodie go through the same thing and he ended being league MVP.
Originally posted by dbdublin:

-9fA

Understand what you're saying. If I was Alex I'd be reluctant to come back here given the management, surrounding talent, and coaching he has had here. But I think he might be interested in playing for Harbaugh even given the a-holes he'll have to put with at Candlestick. That last game of the season was ridiculous. With Singletary gone and Mike Johnson turned lose he had a QB rating of 107, threw a couple of long TD pases, won the game 38 - 7, and he got bood every time he threw an incomplete pass. He really may want to get away from the haters. He has been scapegoated terribly here. The Niners have had a lot of problems the last six years besides Alex Smith. Until the last few games last year he's had to run for his life every time he took a snap. If Harbaugh thinks he can play and wants him back, I'm with Harbaugh, not the dipweeds at Candlestick. As a kid I watched John Brodie go through the same thing and he ended being league MVP.

I say a lot of teams would go after him, it just wouldn't be to start atleast right away.
Harbaugh + Alex Smith = Championship!

Harbaugh + Alex Smith = Championship!

For Seattle?
Alex really is Harbaugh's best option this year. You draft a quarterback or bring in McNabb, Palmer or Kolb you marry them. With Alex you have a quarterback with potential to grow but if things go wrong you can easily end the relationship and move on the following year.

We start off 0-5 again this year you bench Alex and wait for Luck. Win, win scenario. It's like Holmgren starting off with Delhomme and Wallace. You can buy time for McCoy (3rd round pick) to develop or you're in position to draft your next QB.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 19, 2011 at 9:45 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

72.1 career rating
57.1 completion %
174.1 ypg
6.2 ypa
51 TD
53 INT

So how is Harbaugh LIKING Alex Smith going to make Alex Smith successful??

Again, preseason hype, I do not buy it at all.

Here's one:

OMG, YES!!! Smith will finally have the same OC twice, no new system....Can you say PLAYOFFS!!!

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Alex really is Harbaugh's best option this year. You draft a quarterback or bring in McNabb, Palmer or Kolb you marry them. With Alex you have a quarterback with potential to grow but if things go wrong you can easily end the relationship and move on the following year.

We start off 0-5 again this year you bench Alex and wait for Luck. Win, win scenario. It's like Holmgren starting off with Delhomme and Wallace. You can buy time for McCoy (3rd round pick) to develop or you're in position to draft your next QB.

Probably the only reason I want Smith to come back.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dbdublin:

-9fA

That last game was a telling story of how much Singletary had restricted the offensive talent of this team.

Yes, I know it was against *those guys* but that is not what I am referring to. The telling point of the game was the game plan. From the beginning, receivers were running deeper routes, there were more 3 wide out formations, more play action passing...and all of this opened up things that seemingly had never existed before. Overall, the GAME PLAN, PLAY DESIGN AND PLAY SEQUENCING look like an entirely different team...and Alex Smith looked like a Pro Bowl quarterback.

What we should all have learned from that game, and marginally from previous Mike Johnson directed games, was the Alex Smith and the offense had a lot more to offer than all those "manage the game/impose our will" years of muddle-headed offense.
Share 49ersWebzone