There are 255 users in the forums

"We want to build a bully." - J.Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Talk is cheap.

We are one of the most talented teams in the NFL with nothing to show for it,which makes us overrated.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Talk is cheap.

We are one of the most talented teams in the NFL with nothing to show for it,which makes us overrated.

not quite sure about that....Average talent at best. Lack of elite talent at key positions drags down the rest of the team.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Talk is cheap.

not quite sure about that....Average talent at best. Lack of elite talent at key positions drags down the rest of the team.

smh

the best MLB in the LEAGUE

the best Olinesman rookie in the league in Lupati

One of the top five RB in the league in Frank Gore

The best TE in the game ,oh it's true , it's true.

The luxury of Ted Ginn and Manny Lawson.

The underrated low key cats in Justin Smith, Delanie Walker, and Joe Staley.
Talk is cheap.

smh

But you see how less effective Willis is without a solid NT. Frank Gore will be entering the back end of his career. Walker fumbles way too much, staley was hardly missed with Sims playing. We still need a QB, CB, and pass rusher to bring this team up to elite levels.

Colts, Pats, Steelers, Jets, Giants, Eagles, Cowgirls, Saints, Packers and Falcons all have more talent.
  • dj43
Talk is cheap.

smh

100% agreement

Quote:
I love Iupati but the best rookie OL this past season was Maurkice Pouncey, and it wasn't even close. In fact, Pouncey may have been the best OL in the league...PERIOD. ...but Iupati looks like he has a very good career ahead of him.

Quote:
Won't split hairs with you but let's see how he comes back.

Quote:
One of the top 5 but VD is WAY over-rated on this board. He is one of the very best blocking TEs in the league and has the most speed, however, for the rest of what a TE is supposed to provide the offense, he is very average. I hope Harbaugh can coach him up on things like reading and route running. If he can, VD will take his place in the top 3.

Quote:
Sorry, neither one of these guys are impressive. Lawson will almost certainly be gone (I don't like that but it is a fact) and Ginn was a cast off by another less-than-.500 team.

Quote:
Smith got some Pro Bowl notice this year. Walker is an under-utilized talent and Staley has still not hit his potential.

This team has .500 talent in most areas except a pass rusher, CB and QB (assuming AS leaves). That makes it, at best, a 7 win team, IMO.

Sorry. I am just in a cranky mood today. It was too cold this morning for golf and I was too lazy to go skiing so here I sit...
Originally posted by dj43:

Quote:
One of the top 5 but VD is WAY over-rated on this board. He is one of the very best blocking TEs in the league and has the most speed, however, for the rest of what a TE is supposed to provide the offense, he is very average. I hope Harbaugh can coach him up on things like reading and route running. If he can, VD will take his place in the top 3.

2010:
2nd in yards. The guy above him has years of experience with a successful and consistent QB and superior scheme yet only beat him out by 88 yards despite having 38 more receptions
#1 in average
#5 in yards per game. Every TE above him has superior QB's and schemes
#5 in TD's and again all above superior QB/scheme
He Led all big play stats with the most 20+ and 40+ yard plays from a TE

Tied the record for TD's and faired well again on the big play stats leading or in the top 5.

None of the players you arerating him against compare to his blocking ability.

The point being. Our offensive scheme has been inept since Norv left. Vernon only started to "Get it" less than 2 seasons ago and shows steady improvement in spite of the inept scheme. He puts up numbers regardless of the rotation at QB, and constant changes in terminology, nuances of scheme, and expectations of his position within the scheme.

Making it short, our offense has been dismal. Frank Gore and Vernon Davis have been puttin up stats despite that.

Neither is over rated at all. Both are Very good players, and Vernon Davis is 1 of 2 elites on our team.

In my opinion of course.
[ Edited by WINiner on Feb 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
--What team do you model the 49ers after to make them a champion? Baalke said he's not sure they're going to model themselves after anybody. They want to build a winning organization, Baalke said. They look back at the formulas that have been successful, but they're going to build it their way, he said. "You got to be who you are. We're going to respect what other teams have done, but we're going to build it our way." Harbaugh said they have the best model in all of professional, how the 49ers did it. "We want to build a bully," Harbaugh said.
Read more: Harbaugh, Baalke answer questions from 49ers fans
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

For some reason this one line of Harbaugh's really got me pumped. For years now, I've watch 49er games never more than hoping we would be lucky enough to eek out a victory. Long gone are the days when I turned on a Niner game only to wonder how much we would win by and not if we would win. So when Harbaugh said, "we want to build a bully," I near jumped out of my chair. Oh how I hope the Niners get it right this time, because I'd love to watch a bully on Sunday morning.

Sing said that same stuff with our ol.....but i actually believe our new coach can do that. All we need is another fight guard and we will win our division as is. Even with our qb situation and our cbs.

as is? that's a reach, i don't think Troy smith can do it.....

No not a reach at all.....in our division it is not a reach. We have the best d the best running game best te....and with alex smith the best or at least similar qb.....without alex our qb takes a bit of a hit bit still on d running game and te we could win the division with these new coaches ALONE

Sorry, but there's no way Alex Smith is the best QB in the division (if he stays). Sam Bradford was better last year and will probably get a lot better than that this year. No chance.

If you check, Smith's rating was well above Bradford's.

This past season, Hasselback was the best in the division. Smith was #2. Bradford #3. AZ not in the mix.

So let me get this straight.. You're gonna imply that Smith was better than Bradford because his QB rating was higher, but then you're gonna turn around and say that Hasselbeck was the best in the division when his rating was even lower than Bradford's? Get your argument straight.

That being said, I'm basing Bradford's superiority on his actual play, not his stats. Bradford was the best QB in the NFC West last year, period. He'll probably get a lot better next year.
Bradford simply was not superior. Not in play or statistically.

You must not have seen him play very much.

Yes, Hasselback was superior.

On the contrary. My cousin is a Rams fan who has been living with me since last summer. Due to this, I've watched every single game Sam Bradford has played in on DVR, hoping I'd see him fail miserably. I never got my wish.
Well, if the two of you saw those games, especially the second half of the season, and truly still think Bradford is better than Alex Smith and Matt Hasselback, then I have nothing for you.

Bradford dominated every statistical category comparing the 3, unfortunately int's as well which is why his rating is lower.

We are talking about a rookie, a 6year vet and a former SB starting QB at the very end of his career. That's all the proof you need. If someone asked you to choose 1 of those 3, to put on the Niners with Harbaugh, with being the most successful over the next 3-5 years in mind, who are you choosing? I'll take Bradford every time and he is clearly the superior QB option at this stage in all 3 careers imo.

Sam Bradford is the anit-Smith. He was on a dismal team, and put up anyway.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WINiner:

Quote:

2010:
2nd in yards. The guy above him has years of experience with a successful and consistent QB and superior scheme yet only beat him out by 88 yards despite having 38 more receptions
#1 in average

Tied the record for TD's and faired well again on the big play stats leading or in the top 5.

The point being. Our offensive scheme has been inept since Norv left. Vernon only started to "Get it" less than 2 seasons ago and shows steady improvement in spite of the inept scheme. He puts up numbers regardless of the rotation at QB, and constant changes in terminology, nuances of scheme, and expectations of his position within the scheme.

Making it short, our offense has been dismal. Frank Gore and Vernon Davis have been puttin up stats despite that.

Neither is over rated at all. Both are Very good players, and Vernon Davis is 1 of 2 elites on our team.

In my opinion of course.
I'm not denying the stats. He has put up some numbers but that is what happens when the wideouts are not producing. At various times folks have suggested he should be moved to WR due to his speed. In effect, that is what he has been. Other than his blocking, he has been used more like a wideout than a TE.

Bottom line is; VD is still far from being a polished TE in this league.

Quote:

2010:
#1 in average

In my opinion of course.
I'm not denying the stats. He has put up some numbers but that is what happens when the wideouts are not producing. At various times folks have suggested he should be moved to WR due to his speed. In effect, that is what he has been. Other than his blocking, he has been used more like a wideout than a TE.

Dude, let it go man. Stop bashing the players on the team who are actually worth a s**t. VD is IMO, a threat that can change a game. He can block lie an all pro, run after the catch, go deep, take a short pass all the way. Plus, his hands are very good now.

Stop trying to find something to point out about in someone who is a great player.
I remember back in the day when teams that would play us would say " I know were going to lose.... But by how much.. Lets show them they can score XXX on us!!!" We would walk on to the field and the game would be over before it started !!! They would score 0 maybe 3 and we would have our 3rd string in by late 3rd quarter. This is the BULLY!! Hargaugh talks about!!! I dont care who is on the team as long as we kick ass!!!

Talk is cheap.

smh

dang, no michael crabtree?
I can't believe some are saying VD is overrated. He is an absolute beast. Look at his QB.
Originally posted by JayBee:
I can't believe some are saying VD is overrated. He is an absolute beast. Look at his QB.

lol i know.
  • dj43
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Quote:

2010:
#1 in average

In my opinion of course.

Dude, let it go man. Stop bashing the players on the team who are actually worth a s**t. VD is IMO, a threat that can change a game. He can block lie an all pro, run after the catch, go deep, take a short pass all the way. Plus, his hands are very good now.

Stop trying to find something to point out about in someone who is a great player.
You just affirmed my observation about Davis. Specifically, other than his blocking, he has been used more like a wide out than a TE.

Further, I have also said he will benefit greatly from Harbaugh's ability to actually use a TE as a tight end instead of a WR. Davis hasn't yet hit his peak as a player. That isn't a knock on him. Rather it is a recognition that the previous coaching staff had no idea how to coach him or use him. With quality coaching he would be a better, more well-rounded player than he is now. NOTE: Pete Hoener was not retained as TE coach. Do you wonder why that is? Perhaps it is that Harbaugh realized what I have realized, Davis has not been coached to his potential yet.

Now if that sounds like bashing to you then let's just leave it alone at this point. 'K?
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Quote:

2010:
#1 in average

In my opinion of course.

You just affirmed my observation about Davis. Specifically, other than his blocking, he has been used more like a wide out than a TE.

Further, I have also said he will benefit greatly from Harbaugh's ability to actually use a TE as a tight end instead of a WR. Davis hasn't yet hit his peak as a player. That isn't a knock on him. Rather it is a recognition that the previous coaching staff had no idea how to coach him or use him. With quality coaching he would be a better, more well-rounded player than he is now. NOTE: Pete Hoener was not retained as TE coach. Do you wonder why that is? Perhaps it is that Harbaugh realized what I have realized, Davis has not been coached to his potential yet.

Now if that sounds like bashing to you then let's just leave it alone at this point. 'K?

Ok, i misunderstood. I just feel like you're trying to criticize someone when it's necessary to do so. We have a bunch of problems on this team, and thank God Vernon Davis isn't one of them.
Share 49ersWebzone