"We want to build a bully." - J.Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
--What team do you model the 49ers after to make them a champion? Baalke said he's not sure they're going to model themselves after anybody. They want to build a winning organization, Baalke said. They look back at the formulas that have been successful, but they're going to build it their way, he said. "You got to be who you are. We're going to respect what other teams have done, but we're going to build it our way." Harbaugh said they have the best model in all of professional, how the 49ers did it. "We want to build a bully," Harbaugh said.
Read more: Harbaugh, Baalke answer questions from 49ers fans
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

For some reason this one line of Harbaugh's really got me pumped. For years now, I've watch 49er games never more than hoping we would be lucky enough to eek out a victory. Long gone are the days when I turned on a Niner game only to wonder how much we would win by and not if we would win. So when Harbaugh said, "we want to build a bully," I near jumped out of my chair. Oh how I hope the Niners get it right this time, because I'd love to watch a bully on Sunday morning.

Sing said that same stuff with our ol.....but i actually believe our new coach can do that. All we need is another fight guard and we will win our division as is. Even with our qb situation and our cbs.

as is? that's a reach, i don't think Troy smith can do it.....

No not a reach at all.....in our division it is not a reach. We have the best d the best running game best te....and with alex smith the best or at least similar qb.....without alex our qb takes a bit of a hit bit still on d running game and te we could win the division with these new coaches ALONE

Sorry, but there's no way Alex Smith is the best QB in the division (if he stays). Sam Bradford was better last year and will probably get a lot better than that this year. No chance.
If you check, Smith's rating was well above Bradford's.

This past season, Hasselback was the best in the division. Smith was #2. Bradford #3. AZ not in the mix.

ya but braford was in his rookie year

the bigest reason is why bradford did well is because their coaches are smart they ran a spread offense in stl which bradford was familar with rather than try to make him run a pro style offense

thats is how u deal with a project qb
  • pd24
  • Veteran
--What team do you model the 49ers after to make them a champion? Baalke said he's not sure they're going to model themselves after anybody. They want to build a winning organization, Baalke said. They look back at the formulas that have been successful, but they're going to build it their way, he said. "You got to be who you are. We're going to respect what other teams have done, but we're going to build it our way." Harbaugh said they have the best model in all of professional, how the 49ers did it. "We want to build a bully," Harbaugh said.
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

For some reason this one line of Harbaugh's really got me pumped. For years now, I've watch 49er games never more than hoping we would be lucky enough to eek out a victory. Long gone are the days when I turned on a Niner game only to wonder how much we would win by and not if we would win. So when Harbaugh said, "we want to build a bully," I near jumped out of my chair. Oh how I hope the Niners get it right this time, because I'd love to watch a bully on Sunday morning.

Sing said that same stuff with our ol.....but i actually believe our new coach can do that. All we need is another fight guard and we will win our division as is. Even with our qb situation and our cbs.

No not a reach at all.....in our division it is not a reach. We have the best d the best running game best te....and with alex smith the best or at least similar qb.....without alex our qb takes a bit of a hit bit still on d running game and te we could win the division with these new coaches ALONE

Sorry, but there's no way Alex Smith is the best QB in the division (if he stays). Sam Bradford was better last year and will probably get a lot better than that this year. No chance.

If you base it on numbers, you are wrong.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Sounds like something Sing would say.
Originally posted by pd24:

If you base it on numbers, you are wrong.

Bradford and Hasslebeck were better than Alex. But with our offensive conservatism it's hard to see either of those two doing any better than Alex did.

Troy isn't accurate, so he is gone. Alex won't return. Would be nice to get back Hill. His arm was suspect but he could make quick decisions and was accurate under 30 yards, which is all we need for a WCO while we find a QB to develop.
We always wanted to be a Bully since Nolan... it's just now we might actually have the coaching staff and talent base to be one.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Under Harbaugh, Stanford was one of the most dirtiest teams in the Pac-10, Harbaugh was like a Bill Belichick, encouraged his players to act out phony injury time-outs (during crucial points of a game).

Been thinking about this the past couple of weeks, we're going to have a dirty/nasty team similar to the Falcons/Pats (nasty o-linemen who play smart, yet take advantage of opportunities).

nasty o-line play like under the bill walsh days. not sure if many on here remember but howie long, LT, etc always complained on how dirty Barton, Cross, Jessie were. I love it. time to get dirty.....

Hey didn't Hue Jackson across the bay say this a couple of weeks a go that they're going to be bullies to?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Why does everybody love these "We're gonna be tough!" quotes? Is there some sort of sex appeal here that I'm not understanding?

I'm sure Harbaugh will do a great job. But this seems like coach speak 101. I can't believe it'd be difficult to find a similar quote from every other coach in the league.

Insert Debbie Downer pic!
Oh yeah...this is all music to my ears. It's one thing to say we're going to be a power running team, it's yet another to do it consistently. One of the many things that impresses me about Harbaugh is he puts his money where his mouth is. Although in many circles Stanford was known as a passing team due to Luck and outstanding receivers, they were also a running powerhouse. The best WCO's do both...it's what both Walsh and Seiffert did. I like that Dixon will take on a more prominent role. I like that Harbaugh loves to use his TE's...a lot. I'm pretty certain he'll address the RG position...if Rachal doesn't snap out of his doldrums. He'll likely re-sign Baas. We need to keep the OL together, outside perhaps Rachal. He'll get them to play with attitude...in all 3 phases of the game. He and Baalke will have an outstanding draft...I can feel it in my bones. It just keeps getting better...
Originally posted by susweel:

IDK, being a bully isn't very christian.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

If you check, Smith's rating was well above Bradford's.

This past season, Hasselback was the best in the division. Smith was #2. Bradford #3. AZ not in the mix.

ya but braford was in his rookie year

the bigest reason is why bradford did well is because their coaches are smart they ran a spread offense in stl which bradford was familar with rather than try to make him run a pro style offense

thats is how u deal with a project qb
Pat Shurmur built the offense in a very conservative way that put very little pressure on Bradford. That was the good news. The bad news was that the package was so limited defenses scouted him and took away much of what he had done in the early season. He really struggled in the second half.

Originally posted by dmax:
Didnt coach "dingleberry and idiot nolan" say the same things...really

I just want ...."a good offensive gameplan/structure"

Not only that... They also sung praises of number 11 as well... Harbaugh is sounding more and more like them... Which to me is scary!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by susweel:

IDK, being a bully isn't very christian.

Neither is hitting people in the mouth.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

It's football. No one says I want to build the silly nannies.

Reporter: "Coach, what kind of philosophy will you try and implement for the football team?"

Coach: "I want a diverse, talented group of guys, with a... ...how should I say? A softer touch. So basically, when we tackle, it feels a little more comfortable to the other team's players, you know, not quite so brutal."

Reporter: "But do you think this will be more effective?"

Coach: "Oh ya! Definitely. We want to build up a rapport with the other squad, so that they understand, "hey", it's just a game guys, and our first priority is the feelings of the other team's players, and letting them know that we're all in this together. That mutual respect and togetherness, will translate to victories for BOTH teams on Sunday's."

Reporter: "Victories for both teams?"

Coach: "Well, shucks, all I'm trying to say is, we don't need all this macho, warrior like mentality on the field. We're playing a friendly game of football, there's no need to get nasty out there; yuck."

Reporter: "Well, at least those answers were unique."
Originally posted by fakers23:

Not only that... They also sung praises of number 11 as well... Harbaugh is sounding more and more like them... Which to me is scary!

Reporter: "Coach, what are your feelings about Alex Smith?"

Coach: "Well, first of all I met him the other day, and, well, meh..."

Reporter: "Meh?"

Coach: "What I mean by that is, I don't particularly like his personality that much; hey don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy. He's cordial and polite, well spoken, but I don't know, kind of overall, just 'meh'..."

Reporter: "Have you seen film of his play on the field?"

Coach: "Oh ya, definitely. I absolutely spent time watching film of Alex Smith."

Reporter: "And?"

Coach: "Meh..."

Reporter: "Please explain what the heck you mean by, 'meh'".

Coach: "Well, you know, it wasn't all that impressive to me, he's obviously no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, that's for sure."

Reporter: "Thanks coach, your answers are certainly different from the norm."

Pat Shurmur built the offense in a very conservative way that put very little pressure on Bradford. That was the good news. The bad news was that the package was so limited defenses scouted him and took away much of what he had done in the early season. He really struggled in the second half.

And all his receivers got injured. Bradford is only gonna get better as the people around him get better, he's in the argument as the top QB in the west after his rookie season with the RAMS! Yeah its the west, but it's still an accomplishment. Rams are gonna have a good offense once they add to their WR corps and OL. Which is why the Niners need a pass rush, here's hopin for Von at #7, and a creative defense to counter high octane offenses.
Share 49ersWebzone