There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Honest Expectations of 2011 Season...

Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Simply what it says, in your opinion, (although you may wish for playoffs) what do you truly expect to see out of the San Francisco 49ers & JH next season?

I expect to see new offensive schemes that keep defenses on their feet, and our defense to get pressure like we're supposed to. Hopefully we keep our LB combination of Manny, Willis, Ahmad, and Takeo. Might not happen, but although each one had some off games, they each definitely got to the QB or stuffed the run, a great combo for a defense IMO.

I expect Harbaugh to seriously lead us in the right direction and it should be a very positive season, its a new surrounding (the coaching staff) for the players and should be a refreshing feeling for them, and allow them to play football the way they should be playing. West Coast offensively, and Hard Hitting defense.

Like I said, I expect it to be a very positive season, this should be the start of something great.

Go Niners.

it depends on if there will be a lock out, if we have a lock out thats very bad news for the 49ers. They will need as much time in TC as possible. I see a lockout coming and maybe even part of a lost season.

Depends how one looks at it, if we have a lock out and everything freezes for a year, (the only thing I wonder is how the next year's draft would be if we did have a down year), we could have time to find a better qb such as andrew luck, but the bad thing with a lock out is that the players cannot practice within a team setting. If I were Harbaugh, I would at least hand out playbooks that has the base of what he is trying to teach now, before he can't see the players after the march date. It is so weird, though what a lock out means, it's like everything is just frozen and time is just passing. Everyone here might need to find another temporary habbit, just to get us through, lol.

But if next season does come through, I think we might end up with a much better passing game, with a better balanced running game, kind of like a roger craig/wendle tyler type of scheme where we would have a double headed beast in the backfield, with Westbrook playing the tyler role. I think the jerry rice role player might come later, but at least we can have a freddie solomon and dwight clark type of scheme. I think it will be an improved offensive attack, but it will still be a feeling process. I believe that Alex Smith won't be here, I know Harbaugh has not closed the door on Smith, but I do see a lot of mechanical flaws in Smith technique and just bad decisions that is what I believe part of his playing style, which are techniques that should have been (in my opinion) learned on a high school level. Just basic things, like hanging on to the ball if one is sacked, and learning how to check down the WRs (I don't know if it was Sing's schemes) but Smith did try to make a bunch of crazy throws through double even triple coverages, which is fundamentally crazy to me.

I would imagine seeing more of a zone blocking scheme, much more pulling, and improved blocking for the running game with our corp of first rounders on the O-line playing more towards their potential, which should open up the passing game much more for davis and crabtree. There will be (my prediction) a lot more plays setting up the next play type of offense, with a bunch more movement.

On defense, with an improved offense, I think a large part is they should not see the field as much, which should be a huge plus. I mean, a great defense can only carry a team maybe 2.5 quarters if they are having to be on the field constantly. If they are on the field too much because the offense just keeps scoring, that would not be a bad thing, but touching to field too much and the offense does not score, in my opinion is not a good mix. I believe a large part of what was going on is that this group was dependant on to win the games for them, which should not have been the focus in my opinion as the offense needed to score and play a lot more ball control. Hopefully, with the offense staying out on the field much longer, the defense can get a little more agressive and take advantage of a fresher group. But, i don't see all that much change on defense, which can be a top five defense if they are allowed to play less and play against an offense that is out of sink from not touching the field.

Maybe the focus should be on correcting the underlying issues(opinion), instead of trying to get to the playoffs and in doing so make the playoffs. I can only hope for these changes as I make these fantasy predictions as this is the potential that I see in them. I think this can be a great team that has so long and far dropped from their fundamental roots, that it might take a little bit of time to get the hang of it again. I'd say if they play this year, maybe 8-8/9-7 record, an 18 game season could help them, bordeline wild card team, with next year them going to the conference championship and losing in that game, before winning the superbowl the next year. Wishful thinking, lol. The question is, who will be the diamond in the rough?
8-8 at best
7-9 at best, I'm not getting my hopes up for this season like I did last year.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
We go 12-0 with the scabs, we lose when the real players come in

watch for me, I'll be the leading receiver of the scabs and then a walk on
I am worried with no CBA Harbaugh won't be able to put in his system or find a QB. Other teams with established coaches and QBs are not as effected. We have a first year coach, a new system, and likely a new QB.
I'll try to think about this question after I know what the roster looks like, especially with the QB situation.
What I want to see

Offense: players that know their roles and responsibilities on every play, attention to detail in order to execute, decrease in penalties

Defense: more pressure on 3rd downs (esp 3rd and long)

ST: hopefully better kick returns and a continual improvement on coverage and punt returns

Coaching: better scheming and in-game adjustments

I think these things can get us to .500 or maybe a little bit more. Doubt we get into playoffs or last that long in the playoffs, but I think we can learn to win close games.
a replacements season....49ers win their 6th SB
Originally posted by danimal:
a replacements season....49ers win their 6th SB

id take it
Honestly, my expectations are low. But it is too early to tell what next season will look like. The only way I think we make the playoffs with a winning record is if we can somehow land Carson Palmer and resign our defensize FAs Lawson, Franklin, and Goldson.

Worst case scanario (most likely).... we loose our best FAs and we draft a QB too high and count on him to start. If this plays out we wont win more than 5-6 games.
I just hope we're competitive in each and every game from beginning to end.
At this point, I will forecast a 4-8 record, with the first 4 games of a 16-game schedule lost to lock-out. Games will commence approximately October 1. Expansion to an 18-game schedule will come in the 2012 season.

David Carr will start at QB in the first game of the season (effectively Week 5).

Vernon Davis will struggle to master all the complexities required of a starting TE in the Harbaugh offense.

Frank Gore will become a part-time player by season end, due to injury, wear-and-tear.

The OL will replace Rachal in the starting line-up and improve dramatically throughout the season. Poor and/or inexperienced QB play, not the OL, will hold the team's record down.

The following veteran players will NOT be on the 2011 roster: A. Smith, Norris, Sims, Heitmann (injury - retirement), Wragge, Franklin, Evans, Lawson, Clements, Goldson and Nedney (injury - retirement).

The defense will start 2 rookies by mid-season.

The offense will start a rookie QB by season's end.

Willis will again be among the top 3 tackers in the league.

Ownership will lose lots of money, due to the lock-out shortened season, and there will be a further reduction in season ticket-holders, doe both to the lock-out and the lousy economy. There will be TV blackouts.

Gov Brown will seize the Re-Development Agency money from Santa Clara, that has been targeted for the otherwise unfunded, new Niner stadium, resulting in a further loss of momentum on this project.

NFL stadium financing money will be dangled, but only for a joint Niners-Raiders stadium, with both the Yorks and Al Davis ponying-up their fair share. The result is that nothing will happen.

The new CBA will eventually squeeze-out the under-funded ownership groups, like the Yorks, and Larry Ellison will make an unsolicited offer for the Niners.

New anti-consussion helmet designs will surface from various manufacturers and be tested in practice or pre-season environments.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Feb 11, 2011 at 12:18:44 ]
Originally posted by jimbagg:
At this point, I will forecast a 4-8 record, with the first 4 games of a 16-game schedule lost to lock-out. Games will commence approximately October 1. Expansion to an 18-game schedule will come in the 2012 season.

David Carr will start at QB in the first game of the season (effectively Week 5).

Vernon Davis will struggle to master all the complexities required of a starting TE in the Harbaugh offense.

Frank Gore will become a part-time player by season end, due to injury, wear-and-tear.

The OL will replace Rachal in the starting line-up and improve dramatically throughout the season. Poor and/or inexperienced QB play, not the OL, will hold the team's record down.

The following veteran players will NOT be on the 2011 roster: A. Smith, Norris, Sims, Heitmann (injury - retirement), Wragge, Franklin, Evans, Lawson, Clements, Goldson and Nedney (injury - retirement).

The defense will start 2 rookies by mid-season.

The offense will start a rookie QB by season's end.

Willis will again be among the top 3 tackers in the league.

Ownership will lose lots of money, due to the lock-out shortened season, and there will be a further reduction in season ticket-holders, doe both to the lock-out and the lousy economy. There will be TV blackouts.

Gov Brown will seize the Re-Development Agency money from Santa Clara, that has been targeted for the otherwise unfunded, new Niner stadium, resulting in a further loss of momentum on this project.

NFL stadium financing money will be dangled, but only for a joint Niners-Raiders stadium, with both the Yorks and Al Davis ponying-up their fair share. The result is that nothing will happen.

The new CBA will eventually squeeze-out the under-funded ownership groups, like the Yorks, and Larry Ellison will make an unsolicited offer for the Niners.

New anti-consussion helmet designs will surface from various manufacturers and be tested in practice or pre-season environments.

this one is a keeper, I have a feeling you are going to be right on many of those
death by 2 minute drives and field goals...
I don't expect much. A new HC, new scheme, and no QB in site. Secondary is pretty bad. No consistent pass rush.

Honestly 2011 is just a rebuilding year. They will just have to do the best they can.