LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Honest Expectations of 2011 Season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
8-8 at best
7-9 at best, I'm not getting my hopes up for this season like I did last year.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
We go 12-0 with the scabs, we lose when the real players come in

watch for me, I'll be the leading receiver of the scabs and then a walk on
I am worried with no CBA Harbaugh won't be able to put in his system or find a QB. Other teams with established coaches and QBs are not as effected. We have a first year coach, a new system, and likely a new QB.
I'll try to think about this question after I know what the roster looks like, especially with the QB situation.
What I want to see

Offense: players that know their roles and responsibilities on every play, attention to detail in order to execute, decrease in penalties

Defense: more pressure on 3rd downs (esp 3rd and long)

ST: hopefully better kick returns and a continual improvement on coverage and punt returns

Coaching: better scheming and in-game adjustments

I think these things can get us to .500 or maybe a little bit more. Doubt we get into playoffs or last that long in the playoffs, but I think we can learn to win close games.
a replacements season....49ers win their 6th SB
Originally posted by danimal:
a replacements season....49ers win their 6th SB

id take it
Honestly, my expectations are low. But it is too early to tell what next season will look like. The only way I think we make the playoffs with a winning record is if we can somehow land Carson Palmer and resign our defensize FAs Lawson, Franklin, and Goldson.

Worst case scanario (most likely).... we loose our best FAs and we draft a QB too high and count on him to start. If this plays out we wont win more than 5-6 games.
I just hope we're competitive in each and every game from beginning to end.

At this point, I will forecast a 4-8 record, with the first 4 games of a 16-game schedule lost to lock-out. Games will commence approximately October 1. Expansion to an 18-game schedule will come in the 2012 season.

David Carr will start at QB in the first game of the season (effectively Week 5).

Vernon Davis will struggle to master all the complexities required of a starting TE in the Harbaugh offense.

Frank Gore will become a part-time player by season end, due to injury, wear-and-tear.

The OL will replace Rachal in the starting line-up and improve dramatically throughout the season. Poor and/or inexperienced QB play, not the OL, will hold the team's record down.

The following veteran players will NOT be on the 2011 roster: A. Smith, Norris, Sims, Heitmann (injury - retirement), Wragge, Franklin, Evans, Lawson, Clements, Goldson and Nedney (injury - retirement).

The defense will start 2 rookies by mid-season.

The offense will start a rookie QB by season's end.

Willis will again be among the top 3 tackers in the league.

Ownership will lose lots of money, due to the lock-out shortened season, and there will be a further reduction in season ticket-holders, doe both to the lock-out and the lousy economy. There will be TV blackouts.

Gov Brown will seize the Re-Development Agency money from Santa Clara, that has been targeted for the otherwise unfunded, new Niner stadium, resulting in a further loss of momentum on this project.

NFL stadium financing money will be dangled, but only for a joint Niners-Raiders stadium, with both the Yorks and Al Davis ponying-up their fair share. The result is that nothing will happen.

The new CBA will eventually squeeze-out the under-funded ownership groups, like the Yorks, and Larry Ellison will make an unsolicited offer for the Niners.

New anti-consussion helmet designs will surface from various manufacturers and be tested in practice or pre-season environments.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Feb 11, 2011 at 12:18:44 ]
Originally posted by jimbagg:
At this point, I will forecast a 4-8 record, with the first 4 games of a 16-game schedule lost to lock-out. Games will commence approximately October 1. Expansion to an 18-game schedule will come in the 2012 season.

David Carr will start at QB in the first game of the season (effectively Week 5).

Vernon Davis will struggle to master all the complexities required of a starting TE in the Harbaugh offense.

Frank Gore will become a part-time player by season end, due to injury, wear-and-tear.

The OL will replace Rachal in the starting line-up and improve dramatically throughout the season. Poor and/or inexperienced QB play, not the OL, will hold the team's record down.

The following veteran players will NOT be on the 2011 roster: A. Smith, Norris, Sims, Heitmann (injury - retirement), Wragge, Franklin, Evans, Lawson, Clements, Goldson and Nedney (injury - retirement).

The defense will start 2 rookies by mid-season.

The offense will start a rookie QB by season's end.

Willis will again be among the top 3 tackers in the league.

Ownership will lose lots of money, due to the lock-out shortened season, and there will be a further reduction in season ticket-holders, doe both to the lock-out and the lousy economy. There will be TV blackouts.

Gov Brown will seize the Re-Development Agency money from Santa Clara, that has been targeted for the otherwise unfunded, new Niner stadium, resulting in a further loss of momentum on this project.

NFL stadium financing money will be dangled, but only for a joint Niners-Raiders stadium, with both the Yorks and Al Davis ponying-up their fair share. The result is that nothing will happen.

The new CBA will eventually squeeze-out the under-funded ownership groups, like the Yorks, and Larry Ellison will make an unsolicited offer for the Niners.

New anti-consussion helmet designs will surface from various manufacturers and be tested in practice or pre-season environments.

this one is a keeper, I have a feeling you are going to be right on many of those
death by 2 minute drives and field goals...
I don't expect much. A new HC, new scheme, and no QB in site. Secondary is pretty bad. No consistent pass rush.

Honestly 2011 is just a rebuilding year. They will just have to do the best they can.
I expect absolutely NOTHING from this team until they prove they can actually be competitive enough to even think about playoffs. I will admit I was fooled this last offseason, I listened to all the experts that said the Niners would be a good team and win the division...I fell for it. They ended up being a team that could not win a division that sent a 7-9 team to the playoffs. I expect more of the same from this team, next season.

*NOTE*

I reserve the right to change my opinion, and expectations when training camps open again.

Still a little bitter....
Share 49ersWebzone