There are 198 users in the forums

Honest Expectations of 2011 Season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Harbaugh is already watching tape of our 2010-2011 opponents, and game-planning against them... so honestly, we're off to a good start
  • dj43
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by dj43:
So many areas that need repair. It is hard to see this team winning more than 6 games next year. It starts with finding a QB that is willing to come here with the understanding he is just a "teaser horse," not the one that will ultimately get the girl. That will be very hard to find. People like McNabb but he will not want the role of bridesmaid. He will go someplace where the team has a chance of getting back to the playoffs. All the rest are unknown/unproven guys.

Finding a pass rusher.

Will Frank Gore come back from a serious injury? He already has a lot of miles on him. He is the only serious offensive threat on the team. Without him the offense will be completely on the shoulders of a QB from the scrap pile of other teams.

Replacing Manny Lawson.

Getting faster and better throughout the secondary but especially at safety.

A true deep threat at WR.

Finding a solution at RG.

Will Heitmann be able to play again at center? The team missed his experience in making blocking calls.

Finding a replacement for Franklin - I am assuming he will get a larger offer from another team than the 49ers will be willing to match.

Coaching up the OL. Other than Iupati, who played better in the second half, the OL was a huge disappointment last season.

Those are the headaches that Harbaugh has now and there are some others.

All great points and I've been saying for sometime that we are further away from competing for the super bowl than most of us want to admit.

Having said that, I'm just excited to see us headed in the right direction for once. Starting with the GM, HC and the entire coaching staff. Looking foward to seeing them coach up our existing players and finally putting our guys in positions to flourish!

I fully expect it to take at least 2 very good drafts and a few key pickups in FA before we are solid enough and deep enough to compete for the super bowl.
I am hoping Harbaugh and his staff come as advertised. I can't believe the 49ers have done such a poor job of drafting that none of the players really turn out well. When you have an entire OL composed of 1st and 2nd round picks yet they play like backup scrubs, I put it more on coaching than anything else.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I expect us to win about 6-8 games. Its gonna be a year of transition.
Finish 2nd behind the Rams.

If the CBA is passed and we secure a quality starting QB, then we have a real chance of winning the division, but I really don't both of those things happening, quickly if at all.
8-8. We aren't losers but we damn sure aren't winners yet. Yet's the key word here folks. Believe it
Originally posted by excelsior:
When I made my point about players who are mistake prone, a poster called me out about Alex.

Good point. But no QB is mistake free; they throw INTs and fumble the ball away from time to time, even the best ones. Yes, even our esteemed Steve Young. Indeed, in 1993, when he had played more games for the 49ers than Alex has, he threw 16 INTs and fumbled 8 times, losing it 5 times.

According to ESPN stats, Alex has only lost a total of 3 fumbles during the last two years (in 22 games), and while he threw 10 INTs this year during 11 games, he only threw 1 during his last 6 games. It is interesting how people can create a false reality in their mind.

I would agree with you about every QB making mistakes, but this is where we differ. Alex has a tendency to make critical mistakes in crucial moments. And when I say Alex makes a ton of mistakes, I am not JUST speaking of his turnovers.

Missing wide open WRs, not hitting WRs in stride, not seeing open WRs, throwing inaccurately on quick outs and screens....those are all mistakes. Just because they arent interceptions or fumbles doesnt mean they arent mistakes that we cant have.

[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Feb 9, 2011 at 11:16:52 ]
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Simply what it says, in your opinion, (although you may wish for playoffs) what do you truly expect to see out of the San Francisco 49ers & JH next season?

I expect to see new offensive schemes that keep defenses on their feet, and our defense to get pressure like we're supposed to. Hopefully we keep our LB combination of Manny, Willis, Ahmad, and Takeo. Might not happen, but although each one had some off games, they each definitely got to the QB or stuffed the run, a great combo for a defense IMO.

I expect Harbaugh to seriously lead us in the right direction and it should be a very positive season, its a new surrounding (the coaching staff) for the players and should be a refreshing feeling for them, and allow them to play football the way they should be playing. West Coast offensively, and Hard Hitting defense.

Like I said, I expect it to be a very positive season, this should be the start of something great.

Go Niners.

I already started a thread like this.
Originally posted by dj43:
So many areas that need repair. It is hard to see this team winning more than 6 games next year. It starts with finding a QB that is willing to come here with the understanding he is just a "teaser horse," not the one that will ultimately get the girl. That will be very hard to find. People like McNabb but he will not want the role of bridesmaid. He will go someplace where the team has a chance of getting back to the playoffs. All the rest are unknown/unproven guys.

Finding a pass rusher.

Will Frank Gore come back from a serious injury? He already has a lot of miles on him. He is the only serious offensive threat on the team. Without him the offense will be completely on the shoulders of a QB from the scrap pile of other teams.

Replacing Manny Lawson.

Getting faster and better throughout the secondary but especially at safety.

A true deep threat at WR.

Finding a solution at RG.

Will Heitmann be able to play again at center? The team missed his experience in making blocking calls.

Finding a replacement for Franklin - I am assuming he will get a larger offer from another team than the 49ers will be willing to match.

Coaching up the OL. Other than Iupati, who played better in the second half, the OL was a huge disappointment last season.

Those are the headaches that Harbaugh has now and there are some others.

Great post...I agree. And this is re: personnel.

At this juncture we are going to make a huge assumption that we finally have the right draft-guys and organizational structure in tact to identify, acquire and then retain top talent.

We are going to assume we finally have the right philosophy/scheme on offense and defense AND the coaches to find the players (FA & draft) who fit our scheme and/or develop current players in it who fit well. We are also assuming they will utilize thihs talent properly and get the most out of each guy and keep their motivation high. We are also assuming we will be letting players go who don't fit this scheme, ala the old WCO days. We have unsigned guys such as Baas who would fit well in this offensive line scheme and guys such as Lawson who may not. We could potentially have many key holes to fill at C, OLB, ILB (Spikes), S, CB, NT, QB, etc. That is a lot of needs!

So realistic? I think it's way too early to make a prediction right now but if forced to guess now, I'd stick with 7-9 with a "feel" that we are coming together and building something special but it starts with the QB!
SUPER BOWL BOI!!! But I always think like that until mid-way through the season when they prove me otherwise.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Our expectations should depend on who the 49ers start at QB next season. If David Carr is the starting qb, hope for a 6-win season. If Orton or Kolb is QB, in my mind it's reasonable to expect playoffs.

Originally posted by susweel:
I expect us to win about 6-8 games. Its gonna be a year of transition.

Exactly, thats what I'm least expecting lol, at least transition or championship
Originally posted by rum53:
Our expectations should depend on who the 49ers start at QB next season. If David Carr is the starting qb, hope for a 6-win season. If Orton or Kolb is QB, in my mind it's reasonable to expect playoffs.

No Carr Crash please, all this talk about Carr still being on the roster, alright we got it, it's just a pain to have to hear about him possibly being our starting QB next year, which I obviously doubt will happen. Almost anyone we bring in will be a better fit so lets just count him out before we all start getting the creeps...

I'm just wondering whether it will be a FA, Alex, or a Draft pick, should be interesting, I've been reading into the Harbaugh talking and working with Alex thing, it's like a 3 part series, pretty interesting to see what Harbaugh comes up with.
Originally posted by rage49:
Simply what it says, in your opinion, (although you may wish for playoffs) what do you truly expect to see out of the San Francisco 49ers & JH next season?

I expect to see new offensive schemes that keep defenses on their feet, and our defense to get pressure like we're supposed to. Hopefully we keep our LB combination of Manny, Willis, Ahmad, and Takeo. Might not happen, but although each one had some off games, they each definitely got to the QB or stuffed the run, a great combo for a defense IMO.

I expect Harbaugh to seriously lead us in the right direction and it should be a very positive season, its a new surrounding (the coaching staff) for the players and should be a refreshing feeling for them, and allow them to play football the way they should be playing. West Coast offensively, and Hard Hitting defense.

Like I said, I expect it to be a very positive season, this should be the start of something great.

Go Niners.

I already started a thread like this.

But I beat you to part 2.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
SUPER BOWL BOI!!! But I always think like that until mid-way through the season when they prove me otherwise.

But this time its with Harbaugh...
Originally posted by 80849er4life:

But this time its with Harbaugh...

True, so I guess Super Bowl then huh. (Until they prove me othwise), hopefully they wont do that this year.
Share 49ersWebzone